Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a MAF conversion on my 1990 F150 w/ a 5.0 using the RJM conversion harness. I'm good on most everything except there is one wire that needs 12+ volt power. I'm assuming it is for the MAF and O2 sensors. Do I need to run a relay to power that wire like the Fuel Pump and EEC are currently set up? Does it need to be fused power? It's a really nice harness, by-the-way. All the rest of the wires just plug into the appropriate spots of the EEc connector.

I appreciate the help! Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
:rofl::twak

That's one of the easier connections, you got the rest of them and all installed? You run a self test to make sure all is hooked up correctly? You fire it up yet? :popc1: :thumbup

I have had no issues with one of Ryans harnesses and it is a pretty easy install. I did find myself double checking all the connections and referring to instructions. I also took a number of these from the master :twak

I am looking forward to using the same RJM harness, as saved from my old build, to convert my 93 Flare Side and Tweece it out...............What have you built, going to build, or what's under that harness?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ryan. Will do. I'm just getting started on the wiring. I finished the build on the motor, so now onto the electronics. I need to order an alternator. I forgot to get that with my other parts. I'm just swapping the pinouts based on the differences between the charts on fordfuelinjection.com and plugging up everything as labeled on the new harness. I do have a question though: Do you know what the 4th wire is four going to the original o2 sensor? I believe my manual indicated it was for the turn signal or something like that, but that didn't seem to make much sense going to down there to the o2 sensor. I believe it is purple/yellow.

I will let y'all know how it goes. Hey Ryan, I realize the installs can vary widely with this harness and that's why it is listed as for the advance installer and no instructions included, but why not include a little paper stating stuff like the splice information you just provided me. Curious more than anything. Great harness as far as quality!

thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple more quick questions...Do I need to relocate my intake air temp sensor to the air box? I bought the extension harness to do so, I just wanted to make sure that was right. Also, are there any part numbers to id the eec inside the computer itself? I bought a reman unit and they removed the sticker on the outside. I bought it through O'Rielly's. It's a cardone unit. I was having trouble finding a good source for one. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get that tonight when I get back home. The only sticker on the outside is a label with the cardone number on it. It is for a 1990? 5.0 mustang w/ an automatic. It was one of the more affordable units I could find that didn't require a core. Any thoughts on the intake air sensor location?

Thanks man

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Leave the intake air temp sensor in the lower intake!
You're using a 1989-93 Mustang computer, which is designed for the sensor in the manifold.

You only need to move the sensor if you're using a 1994-up computer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I'm excited to get going on this! The number which the computer was order under was Cardone 78-4733. There's a sticker (non-ford) on the ecm that has the number 112528473310813 REMFG. I just didn't know if there was a way to id the computer internally to be sure this is the right computer. I didn't want to be cranking on my new engine without it starting if this was the wrong computer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is exactly what I want to do to my 89. subscribed!

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
1987Moose,

Search for SeattleFSB's threads/posts on this subject. There is A LOT of information about the MAF upgrade on some of his threads/posts.

GOOD LUCK MAN!

·
Registered
263 Posts
1987Moose,

Search for SeattleFSB's threads/posts on this subject. There is A LOT of information about the MAF upgrade on some of his threads/posts.

GOOD LUCK MAN!
Not to steal the thread, but being from Cali, dont you get grief from the Smog guys for having a MAF on a vehicle that wasn't built with one originally?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but being from Cali, dont you get grief from the Smog guys for having a MAF on a vehicle that wasn't built with one originally?
No, because you're using a newer system. You can't put on older parts (carbs).
Tell them is a 1993 Mustang engine, and they'll test it like the sticker below:

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,484 Posts
Leave the intake air temp sensor in the lower intake!
You're using a 1989-93 Mustang computer, which is designed for the sensor in the manifold.

You only need to move the sensor if you're using a 1994-up computer
good info, didn't realize that..

·
Registered
263 Posts
No, because you're using a newer system. You can't put on older parts (carbs).
Tell them is a 1993 Mustang engine, and they'll test it like the sticker below:
I didn't know that Mustangs ran 5.8L engines in 1993. But, maybe they'll take my word for it.:thumbup We all know what fun loving jokers they are.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
I will find out in February what happens with that. lol

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
didn't know that Mustangs ran 5.8L engines in 1993. But, maybe they'll take my word for it. We all know what fun loving jokers they are.
actually they had 5.8L in a limit offering for the late 1994 and early 1995. Quite rare to have one if you could find in. It was the Cobra Rs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ryan...Help!

I've fired up my truck and I continue to get codes 41 and 91. I was rechecking all of my connections. Here's a question I have about the harness that I should have picked up on:

I'm using a 1990 mustang computer. I am converting from a 1990 SD truck setup.

I moved pin 49 over to 44 (right HEGO ground). I added pin 43 for the left HEGO in the new harness. However, there is no wire for pin 49 (left HEGO ground). Does it not ground to the computer or did I just miss it in the harness somewhere. The harness is buried in the back of the engine compartment and I hate to tear it apart trying to trace the ground from the O2 sensor. I wish I would have traced it before installing everything, but I didn't realize pin 49 didn't get crossed off my list when installing the new pin locations.

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts