Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im building a street/drag truck out of my 91. I was going to go carbureted but everyone kept telling me that its better to say fuel injected. My end goal is around 700 hp/600ftlbs. If i stay efi then it will get boost. If i go carbed then it will get a bbf stroker. I know the sd system in my truck cant even handle a cammed 300 much less what im throwing at it. But what about using a maf harness, engine, and computer out of a fox body? Or for my goals would carbureted be better?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,083 Posts
700 will be easier (and less expensive) to get out of a BBF then a small block. My decision would be based on what the goals of the truck are. If all you do is drag race it and you don't really care about drive-ability & street-ability Id go with a carb setup, if you did want it semi-daily drivable EFI is the way to go. There is other things to consider like the trans and what you want to do there too.
I would skip the stock fox body stuff and go to a aftermarket standalone setup, maybe mustang based but not actually from a mustang.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've had a few EFI 351w based engines in that power range. A dyno tune will definitely be in order. You could probably reach 550 or so N/A with a large 418 stroker or so, and NICE supporting pieces, high flowing heads, custom cam, healthy intake etc. With a power adder you could do it with a 302 LOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill be going manual more than likely a tremec piece. And 8.8 thats in the truck is getting rebuilt. It will be street driven but drivability doesent worry me. I used to drive a 78 shortbed chevy with around a 700 horse bbc. So im used to lopey idles and such. Thats actually the problem haha. I sold that truck to my cousin and sold the motor seperately now hes building a new motor for it and i have to have something to out run that chevy. And i love these body style trucks so yeah haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How hard is the carb swap? I mean i know mounts and the fuel pressure regulator but what about the wiring? With my eec and all?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
If you go carb, Im sure there are a few guys on here that could help you out. I would go to the search section and search for "Efi to carb" in titles only, maybe you will find something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either way, EFI or Carb, I think one of Wodys Dart 427's with an agressive cam, nitrous, and a blower will get you where you want to be.
You think like me haha. See my problem is everytime i search i get people like OUROBOS that say why go carb its a waste of time blah blah blah. Newer vehicles went efi to meet emissions not because its better. Im sorry but i dont see how my efi (cant even handle a good cam without running rich) is better than a carbureted motor ( throw the biggest cam your valvetrain will allow and turn a couple screws and bam your done) now if i had all the computer crap to tune it myself no problem. But i dont. Plus id rather spend $50 on a screw driver, timing light, and vaccum gauge than $800+ on a computer and tuning software to begin to LEARN how to tune. And throw the extra $$$ into my engine. 700 is a new cam and intake ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
See, I'm just the opposite of 2broke.. If Ford designed it for EFI, and your mind can wrap itself around how EFI works, why go back to your granddaddy's Ford? I have one carbureted vehicle, and it CAME carbureted, thus I left it carbureted.. But I might inject it eventually.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
EFI is better than a carb all the way around.

a Carb will be either a touch too rich, or a touch too lean. Air temps change and the A/F is thrown off again.

EFI automatically adjusts for these things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not ruling out efi. I just dont know if itd be worth it. I could see it now. Maf conversion on a 393 windsor stroker with a paxton or novi supercharger on it with a tremec tko600 or a t56 and a built up 8.8...would make for a heck of a daily. Scare a few corvettes and slowmaros with it ;)
My worry though is say i get the motor built and installed (easy part) do the maf conversion and throw in say a lightning eec. Where im at not alot of people have dynos and i dont feel like having to trailer my truck 3-4 hours to have it dyno tuned. And pay for gas, trailer rental, and to have it dyno tuned. Now if i knew how to tune enough to get it to drive right i wouldnt mind staying efi. But i heared the equiptment to tune an obd1 vehicle is expensive as heck.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Do they make an adapter for the tremec so you will have 4wd?
since he is building a street/ drag truck I doubt he wants 4x4.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I vote Efi too. Check out meaga squirt im currently looking into it my self just out of curiosity. its pretty cool you can buy plug n play kits and start tuning yourself or buy the board with all the components and built it up completely your self.

with meaga squirt you will have complete control of everything and can do anything you want but you just have to learn out to use it. it takes lots of research. theres guys running 1000hp engines with it. check out the mega squirt fourms

http://megasquirt.info/ that's where the manual's are
http://www.diyautotune.com/ you can buy the stuff there

im not building anything right now but I want to put it on my 4.9 just to play with it and see how to use it for future projects. they even sell a kit that adapts to the EEC-IV plug so you don't have to hack up the stock harness to adapt it.

lots of guys buying junkyard ls motors and throwing cheap turbos on them and getting 500hp with mega squirt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts