Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i need to order my MAF sensor this week so i was wondering which one would be a good one to get. i think i would like one that is already mounted to an open element air filter like the Pro M or the one that RJM carries. i think the Pro M w/ the filter is an 80mm MAF and the one at RJM is like 95mm, but on the RJM website it says that their sensors are newer style sensors programmed for the older EEC IV and work better. I should also say that this is a 5.0L engine.

i seem to have read some stuff about not calibrating the MAF for anything more than stock injectors, but i'm not using stock injectors. So should i get it calibrated for the 19lb injectors or my 24lb injectors? also if y'all think i would be better off getting a different style MAF than i mentioned above then i can go that route, but the way i mentioned would be one less connection for me to build in my intake system.

Here is a quick run down on the engine.. cryo'd bottom end, flat top pistons(advertised @ ~9.08:1 w/ 58.2cc heads), GT40P heads, B303 cam, double roller, 1.7 RRs, chromoly pushrods, typhoon upper/lowers(port matched), 24lb injectors, billet rails w/ adjustable regulator(will stay at preset 40lbs as no more is needed than stock, just got these for fun and possible future upgrades) MSD cap/rotor, Taylor wires, Blaster coil, MAF conversion w/ A9L PCM. I know this engine isn't set up great for low end torque, but it should work decent on the street i hope. if not i will be switching to a more friendly cam..

thanks for any help guys.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
the proper was to do it is with a chip or tuner.

being a 5.0 liter a 95mm mass air is really over kill unless your putting a blower on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so from that thread i guess i need to order an MAF that's calibrated for 19lb injectors instead of the 24lb i am using? also, after going through those links you posted in that thread i have come to the conclusion that i will use a 75mm MAF b/c the 70mm is going to be fairly close to "pegging" if my crank horsepower is what i think it will be. i think my crank power will be around 330hp or so if i'm lucky, but who knows. it probably will only see a dyno for tuning by Matt Robinson.

Here is a simple question. with the sensors that don't have the flanges it looks like one end of the MAF is larger than the other. why is this? are those sensors made for one end to insert into the filter or something then a boot on the other end and run the intake from there or do you split the intake and put the MAF in the middle with a boot on each side? i'm trying to find pics, but i can't find any of the sensors installed. looks like the stangs used the flanged MAF's, but i don't want to deal with setting up the CNC machine to build a flange if i can use the unflanged MAF easier.

Thanks Seattle for that link!!!! the Comp cams link said my engine should see around 340hp at the crank. :thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
MAF sensors aren't calibrated to injectors; that's a big myth the part vendors try to peddle. Every MAF has a transfer function, since the voltage signal is proportional to the mass of air flowing through the sensor, following that function.

The factory truck MAF pegs at 960 kg/hr, and I really REALLY doubt your engine will flow that much.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Here is a simple question. with the sensors that don't have the flanges it looks like one end of the MAF is larger than the other. why is this? are those sensors made for one end to insert into the filter or something then a boot on the other end and run the intake from there or do you split the intake and put the MAF in the middle with a boot on each side? i'm trying to find pics, but i can't find any of the sensors installed. looks like the stangs used the flanged MAF's, but i don't want to deal with setting up the CNC machine to build a flange if i can use the unflanged MAF easier.
Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Sensor, K&N 57 Series Gen2 FIPK Air Tube & K&N Air Filter.

Again, my Pro-M Mass Air Sensor came as 19lb and I had it calibrated in my custom tune. :thumbup

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAF sensors aren't calibrated to injectors; that's a big myth the part vendors try to peddle. Every MAF has a transfer function, since the voltage signal is proportional to the mass of air flowing through the sensor, following that function.

The factory truck MAF pegs at 960 kg/hr, and I really REALLY doubt your engine will flow that much.
so your saying that i should be ok with a 70mm?? would i see any difference in performance between a 70mm and a 75mm? i'm thinking i probably won't. just thought of using the 75mm for possible future upgrades like AFR's, more compression, etc. but don't know if/when i will get around to trying to get more power from the 302.. thanks for the clarification on the calibrating!!

Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Sensor, K&N 57 Series Gen2 FIPK Air Tube & K&N Air Filter.

Again, my Pro-M Mass Air Sensor came as 19lb and I had it calibrated for 40 lb Injectors in my custom tune. :thumbup
thanks for the pics. i plan to build my take from scratch probably if i can't find a K&N filter/cold air box on CL. my intake needs to run on the driver side so i'm already going to be building my own, but would be nice to have a real cold air setup at the filter rather than running an open element w/ no hot air block off like i do on the diesels. Thank y'all for your help. i will make sure to only have it calibrated for the stock 19lb injectors and have Matt tune it for 24's in the tuning. toss up between the 70mm and 75mm now, but i doubt there will be any difference either way. the comp cams program i downloaded says i should be close to 350hp at the crank and Pro M's site says the 70mm is only good for 350hp, that's the reason i was figuring on the 75mm.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts

Ahhh... So it wasn't necessarily the MAF Sensor that was calibrated in my tune. It was the PCM programmed to recognize the voltage signal values via the new chip!!! :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
thanks for the pics. i plan to build my take from scratch probably if i can't find a K&N filter/cold air box on CL. my intake needs to run on the driver side so i'm already going to be building my own, but would be nice to have a real cold air setup at the filter rather than running an open element w/ no hot air block off like i do on the diesels. Thank y'all for your help.
See these links:

MAF Sensor Adapter Kits

Air Intake Ducting

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again for more links. you guys are awesome!

i just read an old thread of mine from like almost 3 months ago when i got my injectors. i apparently thought i was going to start it back then. i'm still like a month away from firing this thing up!! LOL. :doh0715: if i'm lucky i might be able to start it sooner than that, but i doubt it. gotta get my AEM wideband, tweecer, saginaw swap, gas tank, new fuel pump, and a couple other things before i can start it. my tuner and i want to tune the truck with the tweecer so that if i make small changes then he can email me the changes for the chip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts