Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's been years since I swapped in my MAF setup, and since the truck has been down for 4 years (not related to the MAF) I'm going through everything I've done again. I think I may be running the wrong MAF sensor. I have an A9L, but I have an 1995 truck MAF sensor installed. It runs, and seems to run well, but I'll admit it doesn't seem to have the power I think it should. Should I go ahead and put a Mustang MAF in? Can I just drop it into the truck MAF's housing and call it good?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to update the thread for anyone in the future, I swapped in a Mustang (ish) MAF and I noticed a difference, for sure. Earth shattering or life changing? No. But a difference nonetheless. A few things to note. The Truck's MAF is part number F5UF-12B579-AA, whereas a Mustang, more specifically a A9L compatible MAF is F2VF-12B579-A2A. The main difference is the third digit. From what I've read, the first digit is the decade (E=1980s, F=1990s), the second digit is the year it was revised, and the third digit is the vehicle "class" it was produced for. V=Cars, U=E-series\F-series\Bronco (source: How to Decipher FoMoCo Part Numbers - Overview - FORDification.com ). I'm not overly sure what the difference is between the vehicle codes, but I did notice a difference in the way my truck behaves with this different MAF, and it's still learning. Another thing to note, the Mustang (ish) MAFs have a different connector that the truck MAF.

Also, I learned that the MAF housing shouldn't matter, as the housing itself is setup to only allow a certain amount of air to go into the MAF "channel" to be picked up by the MAF. This is how there are MAFs that are "calibrated" for different sized injectors, the amount of air that passes over the MAF is "adjusted\changed" to trick the ECU into thinking that there are still stock sized (19 pound) injectors being run.

With this in mind, I found the following cars used this MAF, while also using 19 pound injectors:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A

Mustang guys upgrade to these MAF housings because they are 70mm (stock Mustangs are 55mm), just like the truck's MAF housing. The specific MAF I ended up with was off of a 1994 Grand Marquis 4.6L, and it bolted directly onto the truck's airbox. Honestly, I think I could have dropped the new MAF into the truck's housing and called it good, but I just wanted to be sure. I wanted to update the thread for anyone who has these questions in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts