Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a tune up on my 81, and will be replacing the magnetic pickup in the distibutor. Do you need a special tool to pull the gear an the shaft or is there an easy way of pulling it without damaging it? It's getting ready to rain so I did'nt have much time to take a good look at it, barely had enough time to finish cutting my plug wires. Thanks.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
It cost like 12 bucks more for me to buy a reman dizzy at Oriellys than to buy the P/U thingy... Yes you will need a special tool to pull the dizzy gear and shaft... It was alot easier to just drop in another dizzy.... Good luck---Fog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I may have to look for the tool I,ve already got the new pickup hopefuly it wont be too bad.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you talking about the top "gear" or the bottom drive gear?

I replaced the stator in mine (under the top "gear") didn't need any special tools

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Is there any reason to replace the pickup unless it's bad?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My magnetic pickup is really wornout (probably the original) it looks like the distributor has to be pulled either way. The parts store has a remanufactured for $44, I kinda have an eye on an msd billet

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
How is it worn out? Is it giving a code? Again, why do you need to replace it unless it's not doing what it's supposed to do??

I'm not trying to be negative about you replacing it, but I want to know why it needs to be replaced... if it's a wear item that's going to improve the ignition system substantially on a 150k+ motor by replacing it, I'll do mine too. But if there's no real actual need to replace it, why do it until it causes a problem, if it's going to cause a problem in the forseeable future at all?

edit: If mine even has one at all, being the TFI system I mean... I dunno what the PIP on mine is comprised of. I assume it has some type of magnetic pickup.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,917 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
How is it worn out? Is it giving a code? Again, why do you need to replace it unless it's not doing what it's supposed to do??
There are no codes for Duraspark. TFI came out in 1985 on the 302 and 1987 on the 351.

Bronco4Life said:
I'm not trying to be negative about you replacing it, but I want to know why it needs to be replaced... if it's a wear item that's going to improve the ignition system substantially on a 150k+ motor by replacing it, I'll do mine too. But if there's no real actual need to replace it, why do it until it causes a problem, if it's going to cause a problem in the forseeable future at all?

edit: If mine even has one at all, being the TFI system I mean... I dunno what the PIP on mine is comprised of. I assume it has some type of magnetic pickup.
We have a PIP (profile ignition pickup) but it's a hall effect one and ours don't really wear out. Don't even worry about it.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Excellent! :thumbup

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
jonny bravo said:
I've been doing a tune up on my 81, and will be replacing the magnetic pickup in the distibutor. Do you need a special tool to pull the gear an the shaft or is there an easy way of pulling it without damaging it? It's getting ready to rain so I did'nt have much time to take a good look at it, barely had enough time to finish cutting my plug wires. Thanks.
Keep the new one around for when you actually need it. You will pretty much know by the symptom they diaplay when going bad, (The engine shuts off after it is warms up just like someone shut the ignition off. then after it cools down the engine will start and run untill it warms up and bang off it goes).

If you insist on replacing it, No, you don't need a special tool to get the Reluctor off. A little even prying pressure on the under side with two screwdrivers will make it slide off. Caution: when removing it be careful not to lose the little roll pin that keeps it in position. While it is off, check the condition of the mechanical advance mechanism.

Good luck,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the info. I'm not getting spark at all Ive replaceced the plugs, cap, and rotor , coil and new wires.
I'm running an msd 6al control box. Ive done the test's with it where you unplug the magnetic pickup and coil wire and jump the two wires on the msd plug. I'm getting spark at the coil. My magnetic pickup does look fairly worn but its 25+ years old. When I bought my Bronco the motor, trans c6 , and tranfercase had been rebuilt , but some parts were reused. I'm beginning to think that it may not be a bad idea to replace the whole distributor with a reman or a nice aftermarket. I'm planning on driving from Nebraska to Utah at the end of the summer so a little extra time and money isnt a big deal if it means not sitting off the side of the road. Theres a whole lot of nothing in Wyoming. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.