Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Ford Bronco EB 5.0 302 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally completed my FE rebuild (drag links, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod sleeves, pitman arm, radius arm bushings, new sway bar links, new sway bar bushings, new Ujoints, front & rear shocks, front coil springs, axle pivot bushings inner axle seals:

Now I have major positive camber on both wheels, the truck is undrivable and the wheels skip/jerk in all directions... nose of the truck rises/falls very large amount when going drive/reverse.

Is it as simple as getting it towed to an alignment shop to get corrected? I was planning on attempting to correct camber first to see if I can at least get it back to a safe status for driving.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Most likely you changed ride height with new coil springs. possibly even a mild lift.
Yes, alignment can be done, but it's not as simple as just adjusting something.
They make balljoint cams that can be installed to get the camber back in range.
Not sure what the going rate is on putting them in, but you have to disconnect upper
ball joint to get them in there.

They also used to make spindle shims that would align minor camber changes by altering spindle angle.
Something like this.

Not sure if they make them for TTB or for any bronco's @ this point.

After digging around, I found these. Claim they are for TTB bronco, but these usually only fix much '
less than 1 degree of camber, you sound like you have more.

These look like the one's you want, fit you bronco and do up to 3 degrees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh, if it's not one thing it 100 others LOL.

I currently have a 2 degree camber caster on my passenger side, I had to change it for a new one since one of the studs had snapped off..... the driver side looks like original caster

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have to get a second 2 degree camber caster (they resemble the ones in your very last link) for the driver side as well and see if I can at least get the wheels aligned properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
When I completely rebuilt my front end, including new springs, I had to have the full front end alignment. A normal alignment is just making sure they're straight, but the full deal was with the camber and the degreed camber bushings. I think it cost me about $100 - $150 to have it done.

However, once finished, it's the best it's ever driven, and it'll be a long time before you have to do it again. Might as well finish it up right.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
702 Posts
I went thru the same thing on my 86, everything was replaced except the springs when I got the truck & it had terrible camber, (in at the top) & called a local alignmnet shop, he said replace the springs then bring it in. I put the springs in & it made a huge difference, then when I brought it in, they put it up on the rack & it was was in spec, just a simple tow adjustment in my case.

I suspect your truck was aligned & caster/camber was set to sagging springs & when you put new springs on, it changes everything. I would just bring it in, they will have to pull the upper ball joint out anyway to get it in spec & most likely they will use the moog adjustable camber ball joints anyway.

Its all gotta be done at the same time, so in this case, you just gotta bite the bullet & take it in, I don't see any benefit in you installing the moog adjustable ball joints yourself as saving you anything, because they'll have to take it all apart adjust them anyway to set the caster/camber in spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally completed my FE rebuild (drag links, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod sleeves, pitman arm, radius arm bushings, new sway bar links, new sway bar bushings, new Ujoints, front & rear shocks, front coil springs, axle pivot bushings inner axle seals:

Now I have major positive camber on both wheels, the truck is undrivable and the wheels skip/jerk in all directions... nose of the truck rises/falls very large amount when going drive/reverse.

Is it as simple as getting it towed to an alignment shop to get corrected? I was planning on attempting to correct camber first to see if I can at least get it back to a safe status for driving.
I had goodyear do new shocks , springs ,tower airbags ,ball joints , bearings ,seals ,u joints ,bushings ,steering dampener shock , steering box , rear air shocks ,shackles afterwards the mechanic had to specific shimes line it all up right ,drives great now.

·
Registered
96 EB
109 Posts
I had goodyear do new shocks , springs ,tower airbags ,ball joints , bearings ,seals ,u joints ,bushings ,steering dampener shock , steering box , rear air shocks ,shackles afterwards the mechanic had to specific shimes line it all up right ,drives great now.
Sorry to get off topic, but Damn, you had good your do all that? Did you buy all the parts from them? What did that cost? I agree with what everyone is saying for the OP. Just bring it in and have them re-align it. Firestone is closest to me so I just got their lifetime alignment. I plan to bring it back up there soon once I get some new shocks and maybe springs...on the fence about springs, but they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
159 Posts
Good to know I have a lot to look forward to. My 92s front end is sacked out. Steering is so sloppy it's become a chore to drive. Can't wait to get it refreshed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED AN ANSWER.

I was going to try to adjust camber casters on both sides so I could at least drive it to the alignment shop... btw I found a very good one 15 minutes away. But I’m so over wrenching due to how extensive this project was... an I wrench for work as an HVAC technician so I’m just done with it LOL.

Time to take it to a pro so I can get the top off and drive it around out here in California.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts