Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real good way to my '78 run better in the winter? I gotta sit and babysit it for 30 minutes until it hits 180. Any Idea's?

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
good tune up to start out with, I've heard tales about block heaters, never used one personally but I heard they work well, fuel additives to prevent water in the fuel, thats good in the winter time, make sure the choke is working properly, ya got a garage to park it in? if not get one of those Tarp shelters to put it in at night and throw an old heating blanket over the motor at night? that might work well too?, but again I have not tried this but it sounds like a good idea? I'm just throwing some out there???

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is there any real good way to my '78 run better in the winter? I gotta sit and babysit it for 30 minutes until it hits 180. Any Idea's?

it should not take 30 minutes to come up to temp.
mine takes about 5 if i am driving it and 10 if it is at idle.
i wouls say if it takes that long a new t-stat would help.
if it wont idle then you have choke problames.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
it should not take 30 minutes to come up to temp.
mine takes about 5 if i am driving it and 10 if it is at idle.
i wouls say if it takes that long a new t-stat would help.
if it wont idle then you have choke problames.
did you happen to see where he lives? it could be 30 below 0 where he is. How cold does SC get now a days?

·
Registered
97 Posts
did you happen to see where he lives? it could be 30 below 0 where he is. How cold does SC get now a days?

no i didnt, :duh

it got down to -1* last night, and was only up to 9* when i went to work this morning.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Replace the thermostat, like said unless you know it was replaced lately. You don't need to have it warm all the way up to Normal before you head out on your destination, nor do you need it to be up to 180 degrees until you get heat.

Some things I am doing to my 300:

Replacing thermostat
Taking a hose to the heater core to blow crud out (only affects cab heat of course)
Running coolant through intake manifold helps greatly with usability in the winter
Running coolant through carburetor spacer
Manual choke
Electric fans that you can turn off with a switch until it gets up to operating temperature

I know the V-8 guys don't do alot of that kind of stuff, but I think if you replace the thermostat, and make sure your electric choke is working you will more than likely get an improvement.

Another thing I see some people doing is putting a piece of cardboard or something behind their grill. Just leave a couple inches of the grill open so some air can get in there. That should help greatly also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I don't let it warm-up it dog's the whole way to work. I have a Manual Choke, and I gotta keep it shut for it to start, it will snub out if I leave on for more than a minute. I dunno, I put in a new thermostate in late '06. Put new plugs, and wires. Did a full tune up. I dunno I think shes a cold blooded beast? Once she is warmed up, she can run the whole day. When I first start it up, I gotta pump the gas pedal when she starts to snub out...If I dont let her warm-up, she wont stay running when I shift into Reverse or Drive. I gotta gun it to get out of my driveway. I don't know anymore...

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
repair the choke so it is a auto choke. with it being a manual choke your unable to control it the correct way the engine needs for running

·
Registered
302 Posts
Remote starter and a block-heater. If it's that cold you gotta let it warm up. Can also wire-tie some cardboard behind grill to restrict cold-air flow to the radiator. My 2003 f150 needs to be plugged in below 0 degrees. Otherwise, it needs to be warmed up for atleast 10-15 minutes minimum. I live in Canada, so it's kinda cold...

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Remote start won't work for this:

When I first start it up, I gotta pump the gas pedal when she starts to snub out...
1st you have to fix the choke issue. Like Jopes said put it back to the electric choke. There is nothing wrong with that setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The carb on it is a aftermarket carb. One of my friends gave it to me because got a new Holly carb for his bronco, his ran fine it had a manual choke on it too. I dunno anymore...

·
Registered
533 Posts
repair the choke so it is a auto choke. with it being a manual choke your unable to control it the correct way the engine needs for running
yeah!
this is becouse? the 351m, 400 or a 460 is so far advanced?controled by an auto choke. hate to tell you this, but it's an electric choke, or a manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to pull the cable to change the postion of the choke plate. To my know-how, that means it a manual choke. And if I can set it just right, it will run for about ohh...45 seconds, and then have to readjust it to run again.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like the choke like everyone is talking about. Could get yourself a late X-mas present, New Carb with elec. choke on it. Good luck up there in the cold...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts