Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my metal shop teacher has agreed to let me make some rock sliders for my truck, and from what i can understand from what he said, if i make him a pair for his truck, he will pay for material :thumbup ok deal!
for material i was thinking 2” .250 wall square tubing for the main part, and 1.5” .120 wall tube for the step area.

i was jsut wondering what lenghts i should do? should i go wheel well to wheel well, or leave a bit of space before the wheel well? also as far a mounting, i should just be able to drill holes and bolt it up correct?

heres what im thinking of making them like:
http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/70400
check out his pics. i think they look nice

any feed back is greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
sweet hookup on materials. you could bolt them up for future removal, or weld them on if you feel they'll never go anywhere again. id go wheelwell to wheelwell on them cause the broncos are so short. i also like that style, couple guys on here have something similar.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I say stop may 5-6 inches before your wheel wells in case you decide to cut your fenders to fit larger tires. also might want to drill some holes in them to fit a step bar that you can remove easily when you wheeling.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I would go right undr an inch from the wheel well. I think mine are 1/2"-3/4 just before the arch, also mount them about 1/4"-1/2" off the body to keep from getting vibrations. :thumbup

·
Registered
524 Posts
Those look like 2x4 tubing, which would be a better material choice than 2x2.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say stop may 5-6 inches before your wheel wells in case you decide to cut your fenders to fit larger tires. also might want to drill some holes in them to fit a step bar that you can remove easily when you wheeling.
good ideas, thanks man

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go right undr an inch from the wheel well. I think mine are 1/2"-3/4 just before the arch, also mount them about 1/4"-1/2" off the body to keep from getting vibrations. :thumbup
ya i fugured about a half inch clearence would be good. plus it gives it a little room to move before it hits the body.
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
123 Posts
Be sure to post pics when you are done. It's one of my planned mods and wanna see as many styles as I can. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
looks nice and similar to my bondock sliders
yours

mine(boondock)(not my picture, but mine are in it haha)

do you have a front cutout for the front fender bolt? and i like your mounting plate better than mine, mine lacks bolts on the bottom so it slightly lifts away from the frame

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I was watching Extreme 4X4 last week and they were installing sliders on a Chevy Suburban I think it was and...I know everyone thinks these guys are not too bright but... they said not to bolt the sliders to the frame instead weld them on. I guess bolts could break or some such so they welded them on. Of course welding is kind of permanent.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks nice and similar to my bondock sliders
yours

mine(boondock)(not my picture, but mine are in it haha)

do you have a front cutout for the front fender bolt? and i like your mounting plate better than mine, mine lacks bolts on the bottom so it slightly lifts away from the frame
do u have good pics of yours? i kinda like yours and im building them more like yours actually lol i just went out and measured for mine so as soon as i get some material ill start on them. and what do you mean by "do you have a front cutout for the front fender bolt?" ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was watching Extreme 4X4 last week and they were installing sliders on a Chevy Suburban I think it was and...I know everyone thinks these guys are not too bright but... they said not to bolt the sliders to the frame instead weld them on. I guess bolts could break or some such so they welded them on. Of course welding is kind of permanent.
love that show! haha. havent gotten to watch it in forever because of work tho. i realize weld would obviously be stronger, but i think for now atleast ill bolt it to see what i think of it. if i decide i like them i might weld them, if i decide i want to change them then i can just unbolt them and start again.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
do u have good pics of yours? i kinda like yours and im building them more like yours actually lol i just went out and measured for mine so as soon as i get some material ill start on them. and what do you mean by "do you have a front cutout for the front fender bolt?" ?
disregard, thought you already made them, and the top picture is from the link you posted, bottom one i posted is from boondock bumpers(out of bussiness to my understanding).

but was talking about this front fender bolt: behind front wheel

some notch the sliders to fit it,(as you can see in picture above) while other do this

(all from the supermoters you posted)

again sorry for confustion, thought the supermotors link was yours

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
disregard, thought you already made them, and the top picture is from the link you posted, bottom one i posted is from boondock bumpers(out of bussiness to my understanding).

but was talking about this front fender bolt: behind front wheel

some notch the sliders to fit it,(as you can see in picture above) while other do this

(all from the supermoters you posted)

again sorry for confustion, thought the supermotors link was yours

oh haha, i didnt look that far into the link, just the one picture really. i didnt even think of that! ill probably just move the bolt up like in that second pic. looks easy enough. thanks for the heads up man!:beer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok can someone with rock slides check how long theres is? im thinking 65 inches long, but i dont know how long i should do the tube step bit. anyone wanna measure theres for me please?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would wrap and weld some expanded metal on top of the tube for the step area. It blends in nicely, and it REALLY helps when climbing in/out with muddy boots on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would wrap and weld some expanded metal on top of the tube for the step area. It blends in nicely, and it REALLY helps when climbing in/out with muddy boots on.

good idea, thanks man

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If it's not too late, I would go from fender to fender, you can always cut it down the road if you need to.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts