Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tired... I have been spending a few hours late each night after work working on the truck. My wife has been out of town, so I have been keeping an eye on our youngest guy (1.5 years), and I can't get out until he goes down at night. What I have done so far:

Completely dropped front suspension

Pulled Knuckles

Upper/Lower Balljoints Installed

Axles Shaft U-joints done

Class II I-Beam drops done (what a PITA!!!)

Radius arm brackets off

New I-Beam bushings

Add a broken old Makita angle grinder and a broken brand new Harbor Freight angle drill, I had a few logistic problems too. If I never drill a single rivet again, it will be too soon. I am not the fastest mechanic, but I am good and thorough and I don't cut any corners. I trust what I do without even ever second guessing myself. If something doesn't look right, I take the time to make it right.

To Do:

Radius arm bracket relocate

Install Extended radius arms

Get axle bolted up

Install springs

Replace all steering linkage/tie rod ends

Pitman arm

Steering stabilizer

Hack crossmember for swaybar

Reinstall knuckles, spindles, brakes, etc., etc.

Fortunately, the hard stuff is basically behind me... Probably about another 6 hours and it will be out of the garage... Hopefully I can get it to the alignment shop tomorrow.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Rest, have a beer, then continue!

Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Dale it will all be worth it in a few days. I did the same job your doing, it takes a long time to change out everything. I was so tired of seeing the bottom side of my Bronco. After the alignment, and getting back on the road you'll think to yourself it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! The encouragement helps. Took a break and got another big chunk done. The small stuff drives me nuts... I couldn't get the bolts started that go through the radius arms and into the axles. After wasting way to much time, I learned that I had to grind the corner off of a stock piece to make room for the radius arms. Thanks Procomp.

Also, the radius arm brackets relocation is a pain in the ass on the driver side. You have to actually remove an important fuel line bracket to install the bracket. Thanks for the heads up instructions again Procomp.

Gonna take a 6 hour break and hit it again.

Radius arm bracket relocate (done)

Install Extended radius arms (done)

Get axle bolted up (done)

Install springs (1/2 done)

To do:

Replace all steering linkage/tie rod ends (tonight)

Pitman arm (tonight)

Steering stabilizer (tomorrow)

Hack crossmember for swaybar (tomorrow)

Reinstall knuckles, spindles, brakes, etc., etc. (tonight)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost there... I was up until 2am last night... this morning... whatever

To do:

Brakes
Steering Linkage
Pitman Arm
Swaybar mount trim
Steering Stabilizer

That's it! Looks like I will get to enjoy my memorial day since I should have all of my work done today. Looking good. I love those extended radius arms. The skyjacker red, tuff country grey and procomp black all look pretty good together.

On another note, I have a 2.5" Rough Country suspension lift for sale. The one I just pulled off. I beam drops, radius arm drops, rear blocks and ubolts (never installed blocks/bolts). Needs shocks and hardware. $150 + shipping. This was on the truck for about 6 months.

I also have a set of 4" Skyjacker radius arm drop brackets that I didn't use. $35 + shipping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dale gribble said:
Almost there... I was up until 2am last night... this morning... whatever

To do:

Brakes
Steering Linkage
Pitman Arm
Swaybar mount trim
Steering Stabilizer

On another note, I have a 2.5" Rough Country suspension lift for sale. The one I just pulled off. I beam drops, radius arm drops, rear blocks and ubolts (never installed blocks/bolts). Needs shocks and hardware. $150 + shipping. This was on the truck for about 6 months.

I also have a set of 4" Skyjacker radius arm drop brackets that I didn't use. $35 + shipping.
Ok, I am about 95% done- just a few more odds and ends...

Swaybar mount trim, front driveshaft bolt up, sum zip ties and then tires. About 2 hours left and it's 100%. I can't wait to drive it- it's gonna feel like a new truck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done and done... It's at the alignment shop as I type. That lifetime alignment at Firestone was the BEST $150 I ever spent. It has been in about 10 times in the last year.

I really wish I didn't cut the lower plastic bumper valance off... Seemed like a good idea until I saw how low the swaybar crossmember was after the drops. Fortunately since I bought that Prerunner bar, a skidplate covering the crossmember will be totally custom and blend in well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts