Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to swap a 4 sp into my 86 bronco with a 5.0/AOD. I've finally come across an 86 f150 with manual 4sp and 4.9 4wd. As I understand it I need a 50oz imbalance flywheel but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the tooth count I need for my swap. The drive shafts obviously need replacing but again are there any known shafts that swap or am I in the realm of custom shafts. The donor truck is complete so I have all accessories but if maybe someone can point me to some information on this swap that would be great. I'm not interested in the 5 sp swap.

Thanks in advance for any help 馃榿

Super Moderator
Here is a writeup I did of swapping out the AOD in my '85 for a manual transmission.

My transmission was a 5 speed ZF5, but the conversion should b about 95% the same. There are some steps you won't have to worry about, since the 4 speed is made for your year of Bronco.

For the driveshafts, look at BroncoGraveyard. They have all the different driveshafts for all of the different configurations. Since your setup with a 4 speed was a stock setup, it'll have it listed. It might be the same length as the AOD, but you'd have to check.

They also list the lengths there, so you might see if it is cheaper to just have a driveline shop change the length of your current ones, as opposed to buying new driveshafts. The front shaft from your donor truck will be correct for your Bronco, so you should only need to worry about the rear one.

In the writeup, pay special attention to the firewall bracing. It's very important so you don't get firewall cracks.

Registered
I think all of the older 4 speeds (t18 and np435) had the 164 tooth flywheels. I know my t18 in my 86 was a 164 tooth. You can always count them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Ok newbie question you mean count them on my current flex plate?

Super Moderator
You should just be able to order a flywheel for an '86 Ford Bronco for a 4 speed manual and 302 and be good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Ah gotcha thanks very much! Didn't know they came with a manual option with 5.0. thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts