Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! New guy here and I have a question about my hubs. I have a 94 XLT, 5.8, E40D, manual transfer case and manual hubs. I am replacing the facory hubs with a set of new Warns #9790. Passenger side - the old hub has a little float or play as the instructions say. I pulled the old one out and put the new one in - it is a TIGHT fit! I can get it in just far enough to get the outter lock ring in place - but absolutely no float or play. I push the axle out as far as it will go and might be able to get the snap ring on? I used a little grease on the new hub, there is not an inner c-clip or washer, it just will not go in. I have searched this site and have Googled it - spent many hours looking for an answer and nothing yet.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thank you in advance.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Did you tru pushing out on the axle by the knuckle? Get a prybar to push the axle out a little while you put the snap ring on...

·
Registered
710 Posts
make sure that no one left any washers inside your hubs... when I changed mine from auto to manual I had to remove a bunch of factory washers in there.

also what the fella above said about making sure to push the axle in will help.

(I know you said you've already got manual, but you never know what someone else has done before you got the truck)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I did push the axle out with a small pry bar and can get it out some - maybe enough to get the snap ring on but I'm not sure. The hubs I'm replacing are the factory manual. I looked in there and see only the axle shaft, spindle and lock nut. No sign of inner c-clip or washer on the axle shaft like with auto-hubs. So, I am at a stand still.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have you got it jacked up? it's not completely necessary for this job most of the time, but sometimes it may be.

where is your jack point? Try different positions, one with the suspension hanging without anything (jacked from pumpkin in the center), if that doesn't work then try with it jacked so that your suspension is compressed (or not on a jack at all)

maybe the movement of your suspension will be enough to help it out some...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts