Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently changed out my spindle, wheel bearings and rotor/hub and went to install my 2nd set of Warn Standard Hubs (the first set-passenger side failed due to seals failing and water getting into the hub). The hub isn't seating all the way and it is preventing me from installing the lock ring. I torqued the inner lock nut as tight as I could, then backed it off and tighten to 50 ft/lbs, then backed off 90 degrees. I did this hoping it would create the distance I needed to install the lock ring, but it didn't. I then install the lock washer, making sure the needle is situated in a hole, and then tighten the outer lock nut as tight as I could get it (don't have a torque wrench capable of going the 160-205). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 96 Bronco that originally had the 3 bolt autos, that I converted to the Warn Standards and yes the conversion kit is installed.

Thanks in advance.

The cover sticking out

Look closely you can see how little I need

The groove

The lock ring

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
sometimes the lockouts will float a bit on the hub, but that doesn't look to be the case here..All things being equal, I'm wondering if the new bearings are seated the whole way...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes the lockouts will float a bit on the hub, but that doesn't look to be the case here..All things being equal, I'm wondering if the new bearings are seated the whole way...

The inner bearing was seated and sealed with a new Motorcraft seal. Then the outer bearing was seated (I even tightened the inner nut tight as I could get it, then backed it off, then tightened it to 50 ft/lbs and backed off 90 degrees). So I can only assume that yes, they are seated the whole way. I guess I'll have to take out the outer bearing and start over.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
if that's the case then what about the spindles? did you compare them side by side? maybe the new one was different.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the same problem. I thought I had tightened the nut sufficiently. I then bought a torque wrench, tightened to spec and the ring went in. It is tough to set the bearings the first time, but that is what is probably preventing the seating insertion of the ring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is the inner bearing race seated all the way in the Hub?
Is there any gap between the hub and the rotor, it kinda looks like there is from the first picture.

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
My buddy just had to deal with this. He ended up getting new hubs. They had a few different styles. So you either need new hubs or lockouts, unless of course you took it all apart and didn't change anything

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if that's the case then what about the spindles? did you compare them side by side? maybe the new one was different.
Ordered the new one and previous one from JBG.

I had the same problem. I thought I had tightened the nut sufficiently. I then bought a torque wrench, tightened to spec and the ring went in. It is tough to set the bearings the first time, but that is what is probably preventing the seating insertion of the ring.
Wonderful. Well found one on Amazon for $60 that goes up to 250 ft/lbs.

It does look like you are out near the end of the spindle in the pic
I'm able to get the snap ring on the axle, so I doubt that's the problem.

Is the inner bearing race seated all the way in the Hub?
Is there any gap between the hub and the rotor, it kinda looks like there is from the first picture.
The race came seated from the factory and the hub was preassembled on the rotor from the factory.

My buddy just had to deal with this. He ended up getting new hubs. They had a few different styles. So you either need new hubs or lockouts, unless of course you took it all apart and didn't change anything
Oh yea, just wonderful. Everything is all new. New hub/rotor, new lockouts, new seals, new bearings.

I think tomorrow I will tear it all apart and start over again. I know you're really suppose to replace the seals each time you take the hub off but I haven't even driven it yet, think I can get away with the same seal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the spindle seated all the way into the knuckle?
It appears that it is, but I'm going to remove the spindle and start all over again.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
sucks to have to do it over again, but that's probably the best bet...

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
Not sure if it is thick enough to make much of a difference with this issue but did you re-install the dust shields? I had an issue on my 78 from not having them in which caused me some similar issues though mine was closer, I always cut them down now and use the remainder as a spacer so its just like it was there.... Another thought I had was since this is the passenger side maybe the axle came out of the center slip yoke, and the axle itself is keeping the spindle from going in all the way. The pictures no longer show up in the first post for me so I cannot see where things are at. Both of those should be easy to check just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't had the dust shields on for thousands of miles, rusted off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts