Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a Bronco not to long ago and when I bought it the man told me that the hubs were bad and that he had gutted the inside if it.. I'm wanting to take them apart but is there anything I should worry about messing up inside there when pulling them off? And whats needed to get them fixed? Never had Manual locking hubs so i'm not familiar with any of it.. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
yo B,

You have a 1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco, correct?
If so;

Replacement (Warn® 6 screw) in a 90 (edited version; part of Jeff's Ball Joint R&R)(Wheel Bearing Locknut Torque specs are off)
Source: by Iolaus (Jeff J) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141208

Wheel Bearing Locknut Torque Settings for 80-96 MANUAL HUBS, NOT Factory Auto Hubs; Ford Pickups and Bronco; "...Using a lockout spanner (Ford Hub Locknut Wrench T83T-1197-B) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.).." Thanks to 90beater (Topher, Chris)!!!!

you'll need one of these; Ford calls it a "Hub Locknut Wrench T83T-1197-B", aka Hub Lock Nut Wrench or Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket or 4 tooth socket

4 tooth socket for 1/2 in drive
NAPA or O Reilly, etc has the socket.

pic by DCSkater

another pic http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/702186/fullsize/100_2497.jpg by probably Iolaus (Jeff J)

"...Manual Hub; "... Use the illustrations below to help with the removal of the old hublocks. When removing the lock ring, use
MILD FORCE with a thin screwdriver or pick/hook.... read more
3. Remove ALL retaining rings on the splined axle shaft
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: ONLY use fingers to turn dials. DO NOT USE PLIERS. Set the hublock dials to “FREE” and transfer case to 2-high for all driving that does not require four wheel drive. To engage four wheel drive set the hublock dials to “LOCK” and set the transfer case to 4-high or 4-low. Return the transfer case to 2-high before disengaging hublocks. Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4-wheel rive because it can cause drive train damage. Do not move the vehicle if the hubs are anywhere between “FREE” and “LOCK” or it will damage the hublocks. Driving with only one hublock engaged can cause drive train damage. Driving with the hublocks in ”FREE’’ and transfer case in 4-low can cause drive train damage. To ensure lubrication of the front axle, engage hublocks for a minimum of one mile monthly..."
Source: by Warn; see & read MORE @ http://web.archive.org/web/20131015133348/http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/61420C0-pn20990.pdf

Operational Test; "... (engine off, hubs disengaged), crawl under the truck with the transfer case in 2HI, you should be able to grab the front drive shaft and turn it by hand. Also with the hubs disengaged you should see the front axles turning freely. Now engage the hubs and you should not be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. Jack the front wheels off the ground with the hubs engaged, turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn. The 4x4 light should not be on in 2HI, when in 4LOW you may have a low range light on, (not all trucks have that light) at least mine doesn't..."
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
If he gutted them You'll probably need to get the hub bodies. Personally, id pull them apart, figure out what's missing then get it from a junkyard. Alternatively, you could buy aftermarket locking hubs which would come with everything you need, though that would cost more.

This video shows how to take them apart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If he gutted them You'll probably need to get the hub bodies. Personally, id pull them apart, figure out what's missing then get it from a junkyard. Alternatively, you could buy aftermarket locking hubs which would come with everything you need, though that would cost more.

This video shows how to take them apart.
So all I need to do is replace the stuff he takes out of the hub in the beginning? If so then it don't seem too bad..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts