Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to drain and refil my manual trans before i get ready for the road with my 79 f150, now this trans isnt from the truck originally so i dont know what it came from but its a 4sp+Reverse with the granny gear for first, now what oil do i need and how much?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
I don't know for sure Colin

but pre-80s you'd be pretty safe to assume it ain't ATF, like later wimpier manual transmissions. On my Mopars we used 85W90 which is thick as molasses.

If you're plated right now, rip around the yard in 4 lo and warm that fluid up before you drop it.

As to how much you install, I'd buy 4 quarts and drop the fluid. Put the drain plug back in and open the fill plug. We used to just fill until it started to ooze out the fill hole and install the plug again.

After you've run the new fluid for a while, think about dropping it too and switching to synthetic axle fluid (same 85W90), if it's in the budget. Great stuff and you'll notice a difference in the shifting and in cold weather.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Instead of searching here, check this page out before each project;

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miesk5/

There's precious little ain't available there.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the thing, the truck is 2wd and the filler and drain are not the same plug i dont belive, on the top of the trans theres a plug that looks like a filler and at the bottom of the trans theres a drain its right near those bumps

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
colinlesser said:
thats the thing, the truck is 2wd and the filler and drain are not the same plug i dont belive, on the top of the trans theres a plug that looks like a filler and at the bottom of the trans theres a drain its right near those bumps
You'll usually find the fill plug at least as high as halfway on the side of a transmission, but it could be the top one. The drain is underneath or very near the bottom in one side or the other.

Only a TTB front axle uses the same drain for filling and dumping, just because some Ford beancounter wouldn't let them drill a drain hole and supply a plug !

Time to get the wrenches out and get dirty !

Sixlitre

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my mistake , those were the casting numbers on the side of the trans the casting #'s on the top of the trans are 13 01 097 902

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea the old gear oil was burned, i think im in line for trans or rebuild time pretty soon, it cam out foamy toward the end

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
i really hope you didn't have the engine running when you did this.

i just used mercon V in my tranny, but it is the M5OD, i thought about 10w30, or even 20w50, but, i have a hard enough time shifting into 2nd as it is when it's freezing out, and the thicker viscosity would just make it worse.

if it was me, i'd put whatever ford said to put in it.

but it sounds like you got it figured out. :thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts