Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

After having two E4ODs take a dump in my 93 Bronco in less than 2 years, I figured it's time to ditch the E4OD and swap something else in that's stronger and more reliable. I did a search and found the following informative threads:

E4OD to C6 swap:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55723&highlight=e4od
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9824&highlight=e4od
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45474&highlight=e4od

Auto trans to manual trans swap:

(AOD to NP434):
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54491&highlight=e4od
(E4OD to ZF):
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49198&highlight=e4od

I found other tranny swap threads that were equally as informative. However, my question is which would be better/stronger? An NP435/ZF/T-18 or a C6? I realize the C6 does not have overdrive and that mileage will suffer on the highway when compared with the E4OD. But I don't drive that fast on the highway, and I have another vehicle with much better mileage than the 302/E4OD combo.

The manual tranny swap seems more compicated as far as scrounging for all the parts when compared to the C6 swap. However, if the NP435/T-18/ZF manuals are stronger and have less of a chance of requiring replacement/rebuilding than the C6, then I'll go that route, because frankly, I'm getting tired of having to drop heavy trannies in my driveway. Conversely, if the C6 is stronger and more "bulletproof" than either of the manual transmissions I mentioned, then I'd rather go that route.

One last thing to consider is availability and cost of the transmissions. I think the C6 is probably easier to score for less money than a ZF. I also think the T-18 is probably rarer. So my guess is that it might be easier to get a C6, but I've already called a few local salvage yards, and none have a smallblock 4x4 C6 in stock, so go figure.

My 93 Bronco sees occasional daily driving/commuting/dog transporting and occasional weekend wheeling maybe once a month. I don't plan on racing it or thrashing it off-road. It'll most likely see a few long distance highway trips a year, but most weekend trips will be 4 hours or less.

FWIW, it's a 93 Bronco with a 302. Thanks for any info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add a few other tidbits of info. The Bronco also sees occasional towing of a CJ2A flatfender Willys on a vehicle trailer and lots of stop and go city and rush-hour driving in the road-raged filled mean streets of Dallas/Ft. Worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
If you need OD go ZF. I did because of (at the time) it would see the road quite often. Plus I like manuals. If not C6 is the best auto you can get but the no OD can be a deal breaker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, Franklin. Although overdrive is nice, I don't really need it, so that's no biggie. I'm just looking for the most bulletproof option, realizing of course that there's no such thing as completely bulletproof or foolproof. But if the ZF (or NP435 or T18, for that matter) is stronger than the C6, then I'd consider that. On the other hand, if the C6 is stronger, then I'll take the C6.

It may be, though, that no one really knows which is stronger, or it may be that they're equally as strong. If that's the case, then I'll probably go with the C6 since it seems to be an easier swap by not having to deal with clutch, master and slave linkages and cutting through the floor.
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
The C6 is one of the best autos ever made but THere is no one thats gonna say the C6 is stronger then any one of those manuals. The only thing you have to worry about is the clutch wearing out and syncros. I cant list the # of things that could go wrong with an auto tranny. Regardless your talking a computer change, the pedal parts arent that hard. I suggest you start looking around and pricing things out at the junkyard before you decide, then make your decision based on if you can even find a ZF in your area (shoot for it, I wish I did!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
81Bronk36 said:
The C6 is one of the best autos ever made but THere is no one thats gonna say the C6 is stronger then any one of those manuals. The only thing you have to worry about is the clutch wearing out and syncros. I cant list the # of things that could go wrong with an auto tranny. Regardless your talking a computer change, the pedal parts arent that hard. I suggest you start looking around and pricing things out at the junkyard before you decide, then make your decision based on if you can even find a ZF in your area (shoot for it, I wish I did!!)
Thanks for the reply. I've already called 2 local junkyards and visited another, but none of them have any of those trannies in stock. One place recently sold a C6 4x4 for a short block for $250, so I guess that's a decent price. Either way, I guess the search continues.
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
equin said:
short block
You mean small block:thumbup Good luck with the search
 

·
Pissin' into the wind
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
equin said:
One place recently sold a C6 4x4 for a short block for $250, so I guess that's a decent price.
equin, keep your eye out for a better deal. I bet you could pick up a working C6 for around $100. I guess it depends on how fast you need to swap but I'd keep an eye in the local paper classifieds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Regardless your talking a computer change,
Nope not on my 94 E4OD. 9k miles and it is fine.

Equin, go to www.pirate4x4.com and check out the for sale sections. Just lurk for a while and one may pop up for you in TX. if you do the ZF and have questions just ask. I have done 3 now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, Franklin. I remember reading one of your posts regarding the ZF swap. Very helpful info.
 

·
Engineer
Joined
·
13,163 Posts
Franklin, I'm getting an 88 F250 with a 300 and a ZF. I want to swap the ZF into the bronco and I'm trying to get a ballpark estimate on what parts I'll need that arent on the F250. I know I'll need a longer rear drive shaft, but since the 250 has a D44 up front I should be able to use it's front shaft right? On the computer you say there is no need for a new computer? Will I need a flywheel and where can I get the best price on one?
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,874 Posts
Todd the f250 front is a D50 not D44. also your 94 is still speed density right if so then just find a 5.8/C6 ecu that should take care of that problem
 

·
Engineer
Joined
·
13,163 Posts
kemicalburns said:
Todd the f250 front is a D50 not D44. also your 94 is still speed density right if so then just find a 5.8/C6 ecu that should take care of that problem
It's an 88 and it has a D44. I thought all the 250s had D50's but I guess that was only after 92
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
ToddACimer said:
Franklin, I'm getting an 88 F250 with a 300 and a ZF. I want to swap the ZF into the bronco and I'm trying to get a ballpark estimate on what parts I'll need that arent on the F250. I know I'll need a longer rear drive shaft, but since the 250 has a D44 up front I should be able to use it's front shaft right? On the computer you say there is no need for a new computer? Will I need a flywheel and where can I get the best price on one?
Search for a thread titled ZF swap parts list. That includes EVERYTHING that you will need
Flywheel is ALWAYS balanced to the engine. You need one that is correct for the engine you are using.
The front DS was shortened 63mm and the rear lengthened 63mm.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top