Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Who is your choice for F.O.T.M. March 2020!!!

• The1096Raider

• biggum

• UNTAMED PONY

• Madman

• dash_cam

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is my Bronco after replacing the 5.0 with a 5.8, adding TruTracs front and rear, gearing up to 4.10's, and adding the winch/winch bumper combo! I do all the wrenching myself......will be adding a 2.5" lift, new tires and rims, and going to replace carpet with vinyl kit in the near future.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,126 Posts
Fresh off the trailer from California - I bought the 86 on eBay for $5,500 back in 2016.

Odometer read 118k and I think I was the 3rd owner with the second being a short term one.

It was initially for my wife and I was driving a 72 GMC 3/4 ton.

It ran great, was rust free, and oozed the 80’s! It was also all stock except for the radio and the smog having been removed.

We loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
A few months later we picked up this 85 also from Cali and in super clean original shape. I quickly took the 86 and my wife took over the 85.

I had picked up a set of mud terrains for the 86 and painted out the wheels black to see how I'd like it since I was tossing the idea of getting a soft top around and really didn't want to go with white.

I ran those for awhile then switched over the silver alloy wheels to the 86 and wrapped them in some new 33x12.5 Dick Cepek Extreme Mud Terrains. The 85 ended up with my black steelies and mud terrains for awhile.

Here's a shot from one of the granite climbs in the area. I liked the Dick Cepeks a lot, they are a nice cross between an AT and MT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I ran the DC's for awhile then moved over to a set of 33x12.4 BFG KO2's. We were heading out on a pretty long road trip over Christmas and I thought the AT's would be a better choice for a 2k mile trip through the Appalachian mountain chain. in December. The KO2's are hands down the best snow and ice tire I have ever owned baring studs. They are awesome. I actually did some snow wheeling with a couple of buddies of mine in tricked out jeeps with 35s and 37s and I was the only one that didn't need to winch or tug and that was with open diffs. All BFG grip and careful application of the 351W. Some of the hills were quite steep and with no winch I wasn't sure if I'd make it or not!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
let's step into the way-back machine and go to 2014...my daughter is closing in on driving age. unfortunately, we were a two vehicle household and did not have anything for her to drive. i did not want to give her a vehicle but i was ok with buying a 3rd vehicle to allow her to borrow until she gets one for herself. (spoiler: she still doesn't own a vehicle)

i had a bronco back 15 years previous but that was long gone. so i joined this fantastic forum and tried to re-familiarize myself with the fullsize ford bronco. in doing so, i settled on wanting a 1996 model with a 351w. i had preferences within those but would take the best find within my budget. (spoiler again: this is all a budget build)

after searching for a couple months i found this one.
1996 Eddie Bauer
351w / E4OD transmission
Tow package
Electric windows & 4x4
"red" & tan
223,000 miles

it was 1000 miles away, but i was able to have a buddy from another forum go look at it on my behalf. he gave it a decent review and so i bought a one-way ticket to tucson.

after i got it home, i took a couple pics for posterity

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Okay, back on the timeline. The 86 has a 351w HO which is a carbureted version with a 4 barrel intake and a mild cam from the factory. The best I could turn up with my research was

“the Camshaft is one major difference.. the HO cam is based off a marine 351 grind.. it's fairly aggressive..

cam specs lift 444int./452exh. adv. dur 206int./221exh. on a 115 lobe separation”

and

“the Heads are also same between the 2.. 84 are D8 heads.. very very late 84 and after are E5's.. very smogged heads. huge combustion chambers.”

Which produced

“hp [email protected] rpm
tq 305 ft lb. @2800 rpm”

Not stellar.

The previous owner had removed the smog equipment and installed a 3” exhaust with no cats.

So I decided a set of shorty headers might help it breath a bit better. So on these stainless pipes went with a set of remflex gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
24,188 Posts
Yo,
FYI, it's very diff for me to choose from these outstanding folks, so...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Moving down the line to a new y-pipe. I used a few 2-1/4” u bends from summit and flow master collector to fab up a new pipe to replace the “custom” one that the PO had made.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
while this was a running / driving bronco that made it home without major issues, there were a number of things to address. i didn't take many pics at first as i was trying to plow through them. you'll have to take my word for it, but in short i did the following:
air filter - purolator
distributor cap - brass contact NAPA
distributor rotor - brass contact BWD
spark plugs - motorcraft copper
high power ignition coil - summit racing
PCV - purolator
fuel filter - purolator

the engine was always below temp and my heater didn't work. so, i installed a 195* thermostat. the old thermostat was installed backwards! i ended up also replacing the heater core and it was fixed.

ran fresh wire from the stereo to the speakers and installed a new radio. and new speakers front and back.

from there i did some serious suspension & steering repairs
moog radius arm bushings
moog axle pivot bushings
moog tie rod ends and drag link
remanufactured a1 cardone steering gear box

all boring stuff, but it made a big difference on the way drove. this is all just laying the foundation.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
New power booster and master cylinder along with new rotors, calipers, rears etc. I've also been through the bearings and u-joints. I used some moogs initially but had some issues with them so I've moved on to the spicer u-joints and will never go back.

Stock vs moogs

and the spicer's

The moogs were also greasable and I've decided that I prefer the non greasable. The spicers are so nice.

Cleaning up the DS for some fresh paint.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've also upgraded the alternator to the newer style, added the heavy duty headlight relay kit, H4 sealed beam headlights, a pgmr starter, LED reverse light, Duracell glassmat battery, upgraded the ignition system, and installed a 300 watt 12" powered Rockford Fosgate sub in the back to go with my (4) 6" infinity reference door speakers.

and yes that's the stock jack!

1 - 20 of 181 Posts