Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Who is your choice for F.O.T.M. March 2020!!!

• The1096Raider

• biggum

• UNTAMED PONY

• Madman

• dash_cam

Results are only viewable after voting.
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
also along the way, another local (@Spktyr) decided to abandon his ranch hand rear bumper project. so i was able to scoop it up and finish the job.

when i picked it up, it wasn't too terribly far along, but some good progress had been made

we took it to his buddy who happens to be a professional welder and also a guy who enjoys side projects.
mocking up and test fitting the bumper on my bronco

and it's mounted.

note: we had to push the spindle out a little further than originally expected. no biggie.

and i had to trim the license plate to fit. i took a little off the top and then notched it at the bottom. but the letters are fully visible in person, so you can't even really tell.

i added a couple old school (but era appropriate) license plate lights

i mounted the trailer light plug underneath to keep it from getting shredded off-road

i considered the tension tension but decided i just wanted a simple barn latch to hold it in place

it's a bit noisy sometimes, but the convenience and reliability is fantastic. there's a stopper and a support tab.

and a fully functional dana 44 hub for the swing. there's a spindle welded in place under there. and then a dana 44 hub lock as a spare

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
broncos are way more fun when you get to drive them!

and, i bit off a little bit more than i could chew...it got deep and soft real quick on me...

hooking up to my tow point

big bro pulling me out of the muck

waterfall!

when i came out of it all, it was over heating because the fan clutch was cooked. a quick trip to the parts store and i was back in business

and after i got home and dried off

also...i had to get the transmission rebuilt after this. i made it through the day. i went to the car wash and power washed the thing. after that, it wouldn't shift properly. wah wah...

this is easily my favorite picture from the day...

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
after one of the hurricanes a couple years ago i felt compelled to go help out. so i solicited goods from friends and family. then i met up with a local jeep group that was heading down to do a little clean up. i was turned away from donating goods at the donation centers. so i ended up giving them away off the back of the bronco to folks on the street. it all went surprisingly quickly.

just cruisin' along

the damage was pretty nuts

this little grass field was actually a swamp. and i sank in short order.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,110 Posts
i told you that we had similar approaches!
Love your mods @dash_cam and that bumper is awesome. What’s that little straw hanging out behind the tire though? Oh! It’s your exhaust pipe. LOL. Just a little trash talking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I would like to keep my rig looking good but also build it to where I can wheel it pretty hard. Wheeling here consists of mostly old skidded and tote trails (the old timers call them twitch trails since they used to twitch and jerk the wood out). They are typically tight, rocky, and almost always wet. I’ve been reluctant to get it out to much because of the tight part and sheet metal but I’m working in that direction starting with some armor.

I made these rock sliders last summer I think and they’ve saved my rockers several times already.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

I had to add a couple of blind bolts in behind the mount tubes which actually helped align everything when installing.

I plan to add another support tube to each side and build some flip down steps for when wifey or Dad wants to come along.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Then came a serious project - the lift. I’ve done several leaf spring lifts, my FJ40 which was easy, my CJ7 which was easy, and my 70 GMC 3/4 ton which was not so easy since everything was massive.

I himmed and hawed for awhile about whether to go with a SAS or not and decided to stay with the TTB. Then it was how much lift, 2, 4, or 6 or 28 like @cobra !

I looked at the cut and turned options and the pricey 7-8 leaf spring packs and a multitude of shock setups etc.

I decided to go with the JBG (BDS) long arms on front with 4” drop brackets and a combo of 4” procomp leaf packs and reverse hangers out back.

The magnitude of work was pretty daunting. Grinding and cutting rivers, drilling the frame and cross member, replacing TTB bushings, etc. It took me several full days and a lot of aching body parts but I got it done and overall everything went smoothly, just a ton of work.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
New tires after lift. I’ve got a ton of lift photos in my build thread. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in the FOTM at this point so I’ll just cut to the end.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,200 Posts
In my best "Major Payne" voice,

"Just because it's quiet,
Don't mean nobody is watchin' from the treee liine.
Heee-Heee-Heeeee".

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
This is probably a good distraction for all of us so I’ll keep going.

As most know, when you get a lift, the front is typically 1.5-2” taller than the rear in order to level out the truck. I went with a 4” lift in front and was going to use a set of Sky Off-road flip hangers in back with my stock springs to get 2” of rear lift. I wanted the flat stock soft springs.

Here are some stock shots and the Sky hangers.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The Sky hangers are 2” shorter than the stock hangers. Many know that you can flip the stock shackle hanger upside-down and end up with 2-3” of lift. However, you do loose articulation droop when you do this and if messes with the spring location a bit.

I tried this initially (after cutting and grinding and hammering out the rivets) but the hanger hit the bottom of my body. So I put it back in the stock position with some bolt.

Sky offers 2” and 4” flip hangers (super beefy) for a couple hundred bucks.

So on went the 2” flip hangers since they would fit and not hit the body and give me the 2” over stock I was looking for with the stock springs.

You can see the dimensional difference in the two hangers there.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Here is where I ended up with that setup.

When I got the front in, it was raked to the back, not good. The rear springs were to saggy.

I wasn’t happy with how much travel I had lost by flipping the shackle either. When you flip with the stock springs, they aren’t long enough to allow the hanger to flatten out (that’s essentially why you get the lift) so you end up in almost full droop when string at rest.

So I purchased a set of Procomp 4” springs and planned to put the Sky hangers in the stock orientation which would actually reduce the 4” lift to about 2.5” and put the shackle in the better flex position.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
not quite as fun as a new lift, i have replaced my shocks. the ones that came on my bronco were old, leaking, and performing poorly. i went with the KYB gas-a-just because i wanted monotubes for a better ride.

dropping it down and putting together...

and putting it together

the rear is a piece of cake. you don't even have to lift up the vehicle.

and because nothing can go smoothly, i broke off a stud when removing the last rear tire.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
another addition i've made is replacing my front bumper, seen earlier under water. i picked this up off craigslist.

tilt your head sideways and you can see a front bumper for my FSB inside the trunk, back seat, and into the front seat of my fusion.

so here it is when i got it home. then i painted it.

remove the OEM bumper

there's just a little surface rust, nothing big

so clean it up

and a quick coat of rustoleum that i've used all over the bronco

and installed

121 - 140 of 174 Posts