Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an 88 5.0 mustang that was SD and I bought this adapter kit from a company that just required me to wire in the mass air connector and wiring and switch a few pins on the eec and get a A9L code cpu and I was done. I had mass air. It worked really well and I went on to running 11.30's in the 1/4 mile.

After saying all that, I was just wondering if I could buy the same adapter kit again and do the same thing to my 89' 5.0 bronco. I know that I will need another o2 senser or will I? If that is all I need to do, were is the fuel relay so I can make the changes like I did on my mustang. I remember it being under the drivers seat but I have not got to look for it in the bronco yet.

I know that there are some :drinkbud guys on here that will know what I am talking about and I do really appreciate any help yall can give me, I am new to this bronco stuff and I really like the Ford fuel injection setup.

Thanks again.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Short answer is; No you can't swap to Mass Air like the mustang.

Long answer is; Yes it can be done, but it's 10X more work than the stang.

You would have to cut open the harness, remove all the wire loom and tape. Then re-wire all the injectors from scratch. It's possible, I've done this a number of times, but it involves more junkyard parts, a lot of soldering, and mostly time.

This is the wiring diagram of the 89 truck

This is the wiring diagram of the A9L mustang

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a custom harness like what I have seen on FordFuelInjection.com?

Could you just get a mustang harness and extend and shorten were needed to make it fit on the bronco, or is this another long time procedure that can be costly and troublesome?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I have thought about as well. I would need a harness from a 95 and up truck right? How much do junk yard's normally price things like that, I would go and pull it myself so I would know what I am getting. Is there any more emission sensors on that year and up that an 89 does not have, and could I use the A9L type eec? Sorry for all the questions I just like mass air, it is kind of a plug and forget, its simple.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i dunno about the pricing part because the junkyard i usally go to gives me a very good price usually....i also dunno about the sensor part that would be past my knowledge since i love the old school stuff :toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
you can't use a 89-93 Mustang EEC (like the A9L) in a 94-95 MAss Air truck harness.
The computer harness pin configuration is way different.
Your 89 has all the sameions stuff a 95 truck would or a 93 stang would have.

To convert to Mass Air correctly you are looking at money or time
unless... ;)

If your truck is parked with no engine for the swap, you can take out the engine harness and mail it to me. I can have it re-wire it for the 89-93 Mustang computer (like the A9L) Have it back to you in a week or so depending on your rush and type of shipping. That is the cheapest option, if I start with your current harness.

if you want me to re-wire it e-mail me at: [email protected]
if you want to do it your self, keep asking questions.

G

·
Ford Racing has a conversion kit but it is quite pricey. I have it installed on mine. I was just quoted $100 for an A9L computer. There are not many of them left in the west. I was talking to a western states part finder. I would go with a harness from Ryan, Fireguy50, and get the computer via jun kyard and MAf via Ebay. He could make it easy and then you could be plug and play.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
No, I don't have any Mustang computers (I'm not using ;) )
And I couldn't get one for any cheaper than eBay or your local junkyard

On a side note, a 94-95 Mustang computer "could" work in a 94-95 Mass Air truck harness. But the 94-95 Mustang computers aren't as flexable or adaptive as their earlier brothers. So it's "possible" but you'd need a custom chip or tweecer quick.

Another issue is 95% of the 94-95 Mass Air Trucks had E4OD trans, which won't work in the Mustang computer.

Basicly lots of junk to sort out

Also the 94-95 MAss Air truck harness won't be a direct plug in. to the earlier trucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.