Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 88 5.0 mustang that was SD and I bought this adapter kit from a company that just required me to wire in the mass air connector and wiring and switch a few pins on the eec and get a A9L code cpu and I was done. I had mass air. It worked really well and I went on to running 11.30's in the 1/4 mile.

After saying all that, I was just wondering if I could buy the same adapter kit again and do the same thing to my 89' 5.0 bronco. I know that I will need another o2 senser or will I? If that is all I need to do, were is the fuel relay so I can make the changes like I did on my mustang. I remember it being under the drivers seat but I have not got to look for it in the bronco yet.

I know that there are some :drinkbud guys on here that will know what I am talking about and I do really appreciate any help yall can give me, I am new to this bronco stuff and I really like the Ford fuel injection setup.

Thanks again.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
IIRC the relay is by the air filter box you can hear it click when you turn the key on....but just incase check with fireguy this is his area of expertise
:deal

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Short answer is; No you can't swap to Mass Air like the mustang.

Long answer is; Yes it can be done, but it's 10X more work than the stang.

You would have to cut open the harness, remove all the wire loom and tape. Then re-wire all the injectors from scratch. It's possible, I've done this a number of times, but it involves more junkyard parts, a lot of soldering, and mostly time.

This is the wiring diagram of the 89 truck

This is the wiring diagram of the A9L mustang

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a custom harness like what I have seen on FordFuelInjection.com?

Could you just get a mustang harness and extend and shorten were needed to make it fit on the bronco, or is this another long time procedure that can be costly and troublesome?

Thanks again.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
that sounds like way to much headache work...can't you just pick one of off a Mass Air vehicle in the scrap yard?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what I have thought about as well. I would need a harness from a 95 and up truck right? How much do junk yard's normally price things like that, I would go and pull it myself so I would know what I am getting. Is there any more emission sensors on that year and up that an 89 does not have, and could I use the A9L type eec? Sorry for all the questions I just like mass air, it is kind of a plug and forget, its simple.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i dunno about the pricing part because the junkyard i usally go to gives me a very good price usually....i also dunno about the sensor part that would be past my knowledge since i love the old school stuff :toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
you can't use a 89-93 Mustang EEC (like the A9L) in a 94-95 MAss Air truck harness.
The computer harness pin configuration is way different.
Your 89 has all the sameions stuff a 95 truck would or a 93 stang would have.

To convert to Mass Air correctly you are looking at money or time
unless... ;)

If your truck is parked with no engine for the swap, you can take out the engine harness and mail it to me. I can have it re-wire it for the 89-93 Mustang computer (like the A9L) Have it back to you in a week or so depending on your rush and type of shipping. That is the cheapest option, if I start with your current harness.

if you want me to re-wire it e-mail me at: [email protected]
if you want to do it your self, keep asking questions.

B

·
0 Posts
Ford Racing has a conversion kit but it is quite pricey. I have it installed on mine. I was just quoted $100 for an A9L computer. There are not many of them left in the west. I was talking to a western states part finder. I would go with a harness from Ryan, Fireguy50, and get the computer via jun kyard and MAf via Ebay. He could make it easy and then you could be plug and play.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
No, I don't have any Mustang computers (I'm not using ;) )
And I couldn't get one for any cheaper than eBay or your local junkyard

On a side note, a 94-95 Mustang computer "could" work in a 94-95 Mass Air truck harness. But the 94-95 Mustang computers aren't as flexable or adaptive as their earlier brothers. So it's "possible" but you'd need a custom chip or tweecer quick.

Another issue is 95% of the 94-95 Mass Air Trucks had E4OD trans, which won't work in the Mustang computer.

Basicly lots of junk to sort out

Also the 94-95 MAss Air truck harness won't be a direct plug in. to the earlier trucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts