Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought anything or a Mass-Air Conversion Kit from Interactive System & Technologies?? www.mass-air.com I looking to buy a conversion kit from them (for 1992 Ford Bronco 302 trans E40d) but don't know how reliable they are.. :whiteflag

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I'd say for 1100+ dollars, it'd be stupid to buy it. If you're going to do it, do it right with a baum TCU, the mustang a9l computer, and a harness right from fireguy, i think his last price was around 17-1800 bucks.

If you really want to do the labor yourself, go find a VEX1 computer, hack apart a wiring harness off a junker, get the maf meter, the obvious airbox parts, get a second 02 sensor on, and figure it out. search around and you'll find out all the info you need to do it yourself. I would imagine that doing it yourself would probably cost you under 400, but take a lot of time and energy. I've already started the process for my 92, i've got the computer so far, and two bungs welded on each side of the crossover pipe, and plugged for now.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I believe www.fordfuelinjection.com sells the harness kit you need and the instructions on re-pinning your ECU to get Mass air..

I'm sure Fireguy will chime in here and post the sweet link that I can't find.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
He can't repin just his ecu, he has to get a ecu thats set up for mass air, and SEFI. For a 302 with a E4OD, the best choice that I've found so far, for a stock computer, is the VEX1.

The most recent thread I read on it (I think, most of them were pretty old) Fireguy said that he would make them if 25 people wanted them or something like that, but the harnesses were still in the 600 dollar area. Granted they are really nice harnesses from the pics i've seen, and he does a great job on them, but myself, i'd rather save the money and have a fun time trying to tear apart a harness and re-do it myself. Not that I don't trust his craftsmanship, but I just don't feel totally comfortable unless it's something that i've made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, it will be stupid too spent all the at $$. but i'm desperate. I've been researching all differernt treads and even ask on www.ford-trucks.com forums. I just get lost with all these different options and computers to use.
If I just could get a list of what I need then I could find some to install it for me. I have friends that could/might do the work but they're all chevy guys. i rather get a ford guy to do it.
But the real problem is getting the items I need. Bronco4Life, if that the computer / items I need or if you could provide me a list or things i need (website/email address) I would greatly apprecriated.. The biggest thing i run into is the compatability to my tranny E40D..

thank for you help. i'll keep search...

below is the stuff i've done so far..

Heads are E7s;
-semi-ported (bowl work)
-stainless steel valves
-intake valve=1.94
-exhaust valve=1.60
-roller rocker arms = 1.6

Block
-zero deck
-balanced & blue printed
-KB pistons, flat-tops (Keith Black pistons – hypereutectic)
-ARP rod bolts (automotive racing products)
-high pressure oil pump
-Clevite rod & main bearings
-(true) double roller timing chain

Cam is a ford racing cam, M-6250-E303, roller hydraulic roller tappet
*power pulleys
*BBK headers w/dual exhaust
*4:10 gears
*automatic transmission E4OD – shift kit
*throttle body spacer
*intake has been ported slightly

·
Registered
239 Posts
mass air conversion

Here is a couple ways to do it cheap.
Go to ebay, get these things:
  • mass air computer (they will usually say, if they dont, get the 3 digit code and check it on Fireguy site)
  • Mustang wiring harness (you will need to move some wires around, be prepared)
  • Mustang upper and lower intake manifold with a throttle body and the air tubes or
  • go to ford and get the 2 into 1 air intake tube and the air box from a 95/96 bronco or
  • make your own like I did.
  • Mustang mass air sensor

YOu can use one oxygen sensor, you just tie both computer inputs to the one sensor, works fine. You will need to move the sensor locations in your Mustang wire harness around a little bit to fit where you need them on the bronco. You can also get a mass air conversion wire harness pretty cheap on ebay, it is just the injector wires and you need to plug them into your Bronco harness at the computer, the kit comes with instructions. You will reuse your MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, but remove the vaccum hose, it becomes a barometric pressure sensor. You might also need a fuel purge valve from a mustang if you dont want to get the code that it is missing all the time from the computer.

I think that is it, been a while since I did it. I didn't really spend that much on it. I spent more time messing with the harness to get everything where I wanted it and make it look nice too.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
The problem here people is that he has an E4OD transmission.

He cant just use a Mustang computer, they dont have provisions to controll the transmission. He has to either get a Mass-Air/E4OD computer or run a seperate tranny control computer like the Bauminator.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
get rid of the E40D and get a C6. you don't need no stinkin OD. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is my frustration knowing what computer will be compatible to my tranny (E4OD). I have gone to Fireguy50 thread and found these computers.
VEX1 - 5.0L - F5TF-12A650-HB (stock 94-95 MAF 5.0L/E4OD)
WAY1 - 5.0L - F5TF-12A650-JB (stock 94-95 MAF 5.0L/E4OD)

Gacknar. will these computer do?? or be used on my 92.?

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Why not get an ECU from a F150 or bronco that came with mass air?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
92Bronco-SA-TX said:
Gacknar. will these computer do?? or be used on my 92.?
Yes, and they are progamable with a twEECer also

Spectre said:
Why not get an ECU from a F150 or bronco that came with mass air and an E4OD?
1. Fixed that for ya.

2. What do you think the computers he listed are for?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
VEX1/WAY1 are the two e4od/302 computers that support mass air/sefi. I haven't read a lot on the two computers, but from what it sounds, most people go with the vex1.

Some people say that those computers' transmission control and ignition curves suck, but my POV is, it can't be any worse then whats in my truck right now, so if I pick one of those two, and I dont get any better performance out of my transmission, but I get SEFI/Mass Air, who the hell cares.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Gacknar said:
Yes, and they are progamable with a twEECer also

1. Fixed that for ya.

2. What do you think the computers he listed are for?
Thanx. :)

Question.. I did some searching, but haven't really found the answer I'm lookin for..

What benifits is it to switch to mass air? Does it give you more HP? I figured it would give you better MPG.. If someone could post me to a thread that has this question answered that would be cool.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Everywhere that I've read on it says it gives you better throttle response, and better mileage.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't give you a whole hell of a lot better of performance and mileage, the reason being SEFI.

SD = bank fired = 4 injectors fire per every cylinder's intake stroke. 4x8=32. So 32 shots of fuel are fired by the injectors for every complete cycle of the engine. What happens to the fuel on the three cylinders that aren't on their intake stroke. Obviously it doesnt just pool up in there, it gets burned on each cylinder's next intake stroke, so how does the ecu account for the rich mix of fuel?

MAF = sequential = 8 shots of fuel per complete engine cycle. Better A/F mix? If you do put the two oxy sensors on each side of the engine, wouldn't that also help the computer figure out which cylinders exactly need a little fine tuning for A/F mix? Because now it can sense the mix faster, and more accurately.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
Everywhere that I've read on it says it gives you better throttle response, and better mileage.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't give you a whole hell of a lot better of performance and mileage, the reason being SEFI.

SD = bank fired = 4 injectors fire per every cylinder's intake stroke. 4x8=32. So 32 shots of fuel are fired by the injectors for every complete cycle of the engine. What happens to the fuel on the three cylinders that aren't on their intake stroke. ?.
No No No, 4 injectors fire every 1 rotation of the crank, then on the next rotation the other for fire. So the injectors only fire for a given cylynder every intake stroke. It just fires 4 (A bank) at a time.

Bronco4Life said:
Obviously it doesnt just pool up in there, it gets burned on each cylinder's next intake stroke, so how does the ecu account for the rich mix of fuel?.
There is no ritch mixture, and if there was the HEGO would sens it and correct it.

Bronco4Life said:
If you do put the two oxy sensors on each side of the engine, wouldn't that also help the computer figure out which cylinders exactly need a little fine tuning for A/F mix? Because now it can sense the mix faster, and more accurately.
Not any faster but yes, more acuratly.

There is no advantage to Mass-Air on a stock engin. Infact S.D. has slightly faster throttle responce.

And by the way, Ford also made Mass-Air that is bank fire. My wifes Explorer is.

Mass-Air is more acurate and is much more capable of handling modification (or even weare) But it is slightly slower.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
No No No, 4 injectors fire every 1 rotation of the crank, then on the next rotation the other for fire. So the injectors only fire for a given cylynder every intake stroke. It just fires 4 (A bank) at a time.
OHHHHHHHHH. Thank you for finally clearing that up for me. Ok, that makes more sense, but either way, wouldn't the fuel on the three cylinders that aren't right at their intake stroke just settle and not be atomized as well? (because the injectors fire at a point in the crank where 1 cylinder is at its intake stroke right? I'm trying to build a better picture of this in my head now.)

There is no ritch mixture, and if there was the HEGO would sens it and correct it.
Yeah, gotcha now, because there isn't a rich mix since there really only is 8 shots being fired, but just a poorly atomized mix. :doh0715:

Not any faster but yes, more acuratly.

There is no advantage to Mass-Air on a stock engin. Infact S.D. has slightly faster throttle responce.

And by the way, Ford also made Mass-Air that is bank fire. My wifes Explorer is.

Mass-Air is more acurate and is much more capable of handling modification (or even weare) But it is slightly slower.
But wait, isn't the ability to directly meter the A/F mix going to be substantially faster then metering by the hego/map? I'm just wondering what about it makes it slower. You'd think the MAF sensor would be faster because of the fact that its making a direct reading of the air coming in, which would have to be fairly "realtime" because it makes all the difference when its using that to calculate the A/F ratio.

Now you have me wondering what makes it more fuel efficient. According to the guys that did the big ugly work truck article, it gave them better mileage, and much better throttle response then SD.

I'm just curious since this is something that I've been investigating for a while, and I want to know as much about it as possible... the downside to being an engineer :banghead

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Well the motor I have in the bronco is a 96 F150's mass air motor.. But I have it hooked up as a SD motor.. I haven't decided on if it's worth the money to buy the wiring harness from fordfuelinjection.com. the MAF sensor is there just not plugged in obviously.. I would just need the harness and the ecu.. hmm...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts