Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering converting to a mass air EFI, wondering if anyone has had any experience working with IST Products: IST Products
Thinking about their harness which comes with a transmission controller Edelbrock Truck intake 3881, BBK throttle body and some TFS 24 Lb injectors. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't see the harness coming with the intake and throttle body. I am curious about people's thoughts on the OBD1 to OBDII conection. That can't be all that's needed when I read these other posts about people replacing their whole wiring to make the same conversion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see the harness coming with the intake and throttle body. I am curious about people's thoughts on the OBD1 to OBDII conection. That can't be all that's needed when I read these other posts about people replacing their whole wiring to make the same conversion.
Punctuation is everything :LOL: I am considering the intake, throttle body and injectors but yeah, they don't come with the harness!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,003 Posts
I am curious about people's thoughts on the OBD1 to OBDII conection. That can't be all that's needed when I read these other posts about people replacing their whole wiring to make the same conversion.
Only gluttons for punishment use '96 donors for MAF conversions. '94-95 MAF keeps things OBDI.

·
Registered
128 Posts
not sure that there's a huge benefit of going to OBDII. you can just pull the harness, computer, MAF and throttle body off of a 95 truck from a junkyard and call it done for the most part

·
Man of endless projects
8,917 Posts
i mean i love OBD-II and swapped 2 of my vehicles to OBD-II. but im also very familair with wiring and the harnesses.

you talking about that OBD-I and OBD-II MAF connection? thats jsut that older MAF sensors use a different connector with 4-pins than the newer MAF sensors that have 6 pins. that doesnt convert the truck to OBD-II. the newer MAFs still only use 4 wires but some MAFs use the other 2 wires for a built on IAT sensor.

i would look at Fiveology kits. they have a kit that support E4OD and is alot cheaper.

if you want OBD-II you can use the 95 5.8 Cali PCM which is still EEC-IV 60pin but is MAF, E4OD. but idk how supportive the tuning or how useable the OBD-II actually is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks all, I didn't realize that wasn't for MAF only. I was wondering how one connection could make the whole truck OBDII.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i mean i love OBD-II and swapped 2 of my vehicles to OBD-II. but im also very familair with wiring and the harnesses.

you talking about that OBD-I and OBD-II MAF connection? thats jsut that older MAF sensors use a different connector with 4-pins than the newer MAF sensors that have 6 pins. that doesnt convert the truck to OBD-II. the newer MAFs still only use 4 wires but some MAFs use the other 2 wires for a built on IAT sensor.

i would look at Fiveology kits. they have a kit that support E4OD and is alot cheaper.

if you want OBD-II you can use the 95 5.8 Cali PCM which is still EEC-IV 60pin but is MAF, E4OD. but idk how supportive the tuning or how useable the OBD-II actually is.
I looked at Fiveology, and yes, they are cheaper. The difference in cost is due to the IST kit having an additional Air Adjuster (189.00) and Trans controller (600.00) included in their kit.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Stinger-Performance.com - Plug & Play PiMPxshift Standalone Powertrain Control Units (Engine & Transmission Tuning) & PiMPx (Engine Tuning) for 86-95 F-Series Trucks (and other Fords of the era), Coil On Plug Conversions for V8 Fords, Cam Angle Sensor Conversions for TFI Distributors, Wideband o2 Controllers, Injectors, Gauges, etc.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,003 Posts
it does? not saying its not the right option for some people but if i can save 500 bucks or so by doing that i rather scrounge and rewire.
Plus, if you fully rewire (re-pin) the engine harness junction, the end result looks fully factory. An overlay harness doesn't appeal to me, in comparison. However, if you can't find a MAF donor vehicle for the wiring and everything, that's another matter. I've only found one in three years.

·
Registered
845 Posts
add 9 wires to the ecm pug 6 go to the injectors 3 to the maf plug. buy a maf plug. buy the maf. repin a few wires in the ecm. swap to a maf ecm. you have to do a few other odds and ends like put a y and a cone filer in the air intake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts