Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching some and am coming up confused as I see a lot of info on auto transmission and Mass Air Swaps but not a lot on manual transmissions with Mass Air Swaps. Most of the Threads I have read are older and I am not sure what is still valid. I know that fiveology racing has mass air conversion kit but they are out of my price range and looking more at build my own.

I currently have a 1995 Bronco 5.0 Manual Transmission, with Speed Density I am debating about the possibility of a motor build (but that will be another thread) and researching Mass Air Conversions.

It seems like Mustang computer with the overlay harness is about all that I am reading about for manual transmissions. If this is the option that is ok other than mustang computers seem to have gotten pricey on ebay lol.

Also would the Ford motor sport conversion plug adaptor work? Something like this with I am assuming a mustang computer

Is it possible to use a truck harness, truck computer, truck mass air meter, truck etc and do the swap?

I think I understand the mustang swap as that is what I did on my 68 Bronco. ( I reworked the factory harness )

My Problem is that I don't have any close Pick and Pull yards and Mustang stuff seems to be a premium on eBay.

I have ran across a guy selling what I think is an obd1 computer, harness, meter, air box etc from a 96 f150, 302, with a 4R70w transmission. ( guessing it was 2 wheel drive but can confirm)

Before I bug the guy and waist his time is this something I can swap and repin to make work ( if it is obd1). If not what what should I be looking for in truck parts? Or is Mustang the only way to go?

Thanks

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,917 Posts
Bronkzilla did this years and years ago and he used a Mustang T4M0 and his stock harness. I could be remembering it wrong but if you do a search, you might find it. I’ll look on my PC at work in the morning.

Compare pinouts Ford Fuel Injection Ford Fuel Injection
Also look at different program code ecu’s www.fordfuelinjection.com » EEC Program Codes
94-95 California 5.0s are MAF, just never seen one with a stick here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,300 Posts
You can use an easier-to-attain A/T truck MAF computer. I did a MAF conversion and later a M/T swap, so I'm still running the MAF A/T computer. It doesn't throw any [CEL] codes, but I imagine there are some stored ones for the lack of tranny feedback.

·
Registered
1995, 5.0, 5 Speed, Manual T Case, Manual Hubs, 3.55, XLT, Flowmaster Y pipe and Cat,
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use an easier-to-attain A/T truck MAF computer. I did a MAF conversion and later a M/T swap, so I'm still running the MAF A/T computer. It doesn't throw any [CEL] codes, but I imagine there are some stored ones for the lack of tranny feedback.
I does not bother me if there stored just so long as there not showing.

So would any 5.0 mass air truck computer work then?

BUG2
HOGO
HUGO
HUG2
U4X0
VEX1
WAY1

I do understand that the last 3 have the j3 service port

Did you have to re-pin anything or just swap all parts and you were good to go?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
If you're getting the parts from a '96 that will be OBD II..You'll want a '94 or '95 truck for your application and then the VEX1 or WAY1 EEC..They are single o2 sensor with the J3 port..Since you're running any M/T, it would be easier to just grab the entire engine harness from a MAF rig and swap yours along with the EEC and call it a day..That's what I did..otherwise, I beleive if you just swap the injector harness you'd need to re-pin, but someone who has just done the injector harness swap can confirm that.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
What's the production date on your 1995? So essentially you have an original 1995 5.0 / 5 speed and it's not MAF? I've yet to see a 1995 Bronco 5.0 that wasn't MAF.
good catch..I didn't even pay attention to the part about his being a '95..you're right it definitely should be MAF..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're getting the parts from a '96 that will be OBD II..You'll want a '94 or '95 truck for your application and then the VEX1 or WAY1 EEC..They are single o2 sensor with the J3 port..Since you're running any M/T, it would be easier to just grab the entire engine harness from a MAF rig and swap yours along with the EEC and call it a day..That's what I did..otherwise, I beleive if you just swap the injector harness you'd need to re-pin, but someone who has just done the injector harness swap can confirm that.

Thanks I will see what I can find!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good catch..I didn't even pay attention to the part about his being a '95..you're right it definitely should be MAF..

It is a 11/94 made unit. It does not have mass air.( I just went and double checked)

What's the production date on your 1995? So essentially you have an original 1995 5.0 / 5 speed and it's not MAF? I've yet to see a 1995 Bronco 5.0 that wasn't MAF.

If the parts truck I am looking at is obd1 but the wrong computer ( two oxygen sensors and no j3 port) would the wiring harness still work and just get a different computer( VEX1 or WAY1)

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
It is a 11/94 made unit. It does not have mass air.( I just went and double checked)

If the parts truck I am looking at is obd1 but the wrong computer ( two oxygen sensors and no j3 port) would the wiring harness still work and just get a different computer( VEX1 or WAY1)
You want to make sure that parts truck is OBD-I. If it is, that should work..I'd verify what EEC it has in it, you might get lucky and it would be a VEX1 or WAY1..Keep in mind if you take the entire harness, you will have some additional connections that would normally go to the auto tranny, those will go unused. If that's going to bother you, then doing the injector harness swap is another possibility, but like I said, I'm pretty certain you will have to repin..

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,300 Posts
There's a lot of confusion over whether all '94-95 Broncos and F150s were MAF. I believe it came down to configuration, with 5.0 A/T's being a yes, but M/T's and maybe 4.9/5.8's being a no. So, the OP's original M/T makes sense for being Speed Density.

Definitely make sure the donor vehicle is OBDI. I overlooked that in the first post.

There are more PCMs that'll work beyond the common list. Mine is a TIP1 from a '95 Bronco (same truck my engine came out of), and it shares all the desirable traits of J3 port, single O2, and VEX1 strategy. If you dig into the MAF swap threads, you'll see a number of others pop up, but not enough examples of them to ever gain traction.

I had to do all the common repinning for the MAF conversion, but I didn't do anything further for the M/T swap. There's a pin 30 change recommended for idle control that I haven't done (or seen a need for) yet, so you'll want to make sure you get that less documented step covered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Computer is a HUG2 F4TF-12A650-APC. Is it a single oxygen sensor computer and what is involved to make it work with a Manual trans? or am I better off going with a different computer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts