Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody has done the mass air meter modification where you cut the center post out of the middle of it then port and polish it. I've don't this on my 1994 Bronco with a 302 and my 1995 mustang with the same motor. You have to have a set of the security torx bits but it's really easy and you can tell a difference. If not I'll take some pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is any body interested. It is free horsepower. Just takes a little time.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
cut the center post out of the middle of the MAF then port and polish it
Terrible idea, it screws up the accuracy of the sensor. You would need to have the electronics re-calibrated for the additional airflow. The sensor must match the housing, you can’t just bolt it onto any tube you find or make.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did this on my mustang because all the mustang guys do it and it worked great. I had an extra meter laying around so I did the mod on it and swap it on my bronco. It's been like that for about a year and a half and I haven't had any problems and it gave me just a tick better gas miliege.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm did was on the stock mass air meter it looks like the one above but it has a center post right in the middle of it. I'll get a picture on here if I can figure out how. But you take the sensor out (do not try with the sensor in) and cut that post out the smooth where you cut and polish it to open it up like the one in the picture above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what i understand the sensor is calibrated to what size injectors you have and it reads the airflow. When I did it on my mustang(it was a 95 with the 302) I read the the sensor is heated and it determines airflow by how much it is cooled. The article also said that the computer can read it because it just cools the sensor that much more. I also done it on my friends 98 mustang which it had OBDII and it also worked great. Especially with a cold air intake. Didnt throw any codes either Go to the mustang forums and search it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
how about you send a link here, otherwise it looks to me like someone is trying to pad their post **** to view the super cool for sale section

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off I was trying to help anyone that wanted a few extra free horsepower and if I find the link I will post it. Second is I don't really have any money so I could care less about the for sale section.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Terrible idea, it screws up the accuracy of the sensor. You would need to have the electronics re-calibrated for the additional airflow. The sensor must match the housing, you can’t just bolt it onto any tube you find or make.
x2

I would not recommend this modification.

Also, you now only a handful of Bronco's came from the factory with Mass-Air, right?"
95% of them are Speed Density.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Cool. :)

1) Why did the Ford engineers put that post in there to start with, you suppose?
(need to understand their reasoning first before making modifications, IMO)

2) Off hand seems like the change would lean out the mixture more and more
at higher and higher flow rates.

3) Can that change to the meter's calibration be corrected with a Moates QH?

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That might be something you have to research on the web. Like I said a lot of mustang guys do it. In high school all of my friends had 5.0L mustangs and we did this on ours and none of had any problems. Just something to research it's always been a good mod for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts