Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello First id like to apologize for not hanging around on the site very much latley. Secondly I just bought an 88 bronco that was previously rolled (but the engine and drive train are all in great shape). The only downside is that this new bronk has a FI 302 (mine has a Carbed 351) I REALLY wanted to get a 351, but at this point i was more concerned about getting the darn thing back on the road.

Now i havent gotton a chance to start pulling the new bronco apart yet ( its still at the other owners house and the 8 iches of snow that fell today has slowed everybody down )So i really dont know what is in the new bronco (tranny and ETC) So i was hoping you guys could tell me what your 88 broncos with 302's in them have

NOw i have thought these ideas through and they all seem equally difficult Should i just swap the engine? should i swap the Engine tranny and transfer case or the idea that i think would be quicker ( difficult but i think im less likely to break somthing and that is to swap the bodys HAs anyone done this ???

My bronks an 87 and this new ones and 88 the only diffrence that im aware of is the engine and probably the tranny SO what is involved in swapping the body will the wiring harness still work? will the Steering hook up easily or did ford do something crazy in between those years We know we can lift the body but will the harness Work for sure?? or will we need to do tons of fabbing??

I know the ideas insane, so you dont need to tell me that i just want to know whats involved .. anything would help

Matt --- :rockon

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Question is, was the frame tweeked in the roll?

And eng/trans/tcase swap isnt that bad. Would you be swapping your axles onto the new truck as well? If the new trans/tcase are in good shape, I would swap those in too, after a clean up and some new seals and the like. Might as well when they are out and easy to get at.

I would rather swap the eng/trans/tcase than the bodies. Maybe just because I have done that more times than a body swap. Just label all your wiring before you rip it apart. And take tons of his res pics if you can.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would guess that a '88 with a 302 would also have a AOD, which arnt know for their durability. What I would do is just convert the 302 to carb and is should bolt right up without any problem. No other mods I can think of.

Hey, by any chance does it still have a tailgate window! I need one BAD!!!

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Mrit said:
Hey, by any chance does it still have a tailgate window! I need one BAD!!!
Heh..you can get one new from most glass shops for under a buck fifty...

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
Matt if im not mistaking (correct me if im wrong yall) 87-91 was the same. If u swap the bodies out, then make sure the frame isnt bent after being rolled. As far as the tranny ... mine is a 302 with an AOD tranny. Its a 90 model.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SquattyD
Question is, was the frame tweeked in the roll
Im not quite sure of that because i havent gotten a chance to drive it yet so im not positive.

What I would do is just convert the 302 to carb and is should bolt right up without any problem.
You mean bolt up to the trannny with no problem?? or do you mean the manifolds (because i thought the heads were diffrent)?

And no the guy gets to keep the winder that was part of are deal..

And last but not least to check for a C6 i just need to see if its a 3 speed with out OD and thats a C6 RIght??

Okay thats should be it for know i wish i could go pick it up sooner .....

But the 8 inches of snow is slowing everything down
SNOW-----> :twak <-----ME

Matt--

·
Registered
990 Posts
MattBFromlacey said:
You mean bolt up to the trannny with no problem?? or do you mean the manifolds (because i thought the heads were diffrent)?
The engine will bolt onto the tranny. The intake manifolds are different, It shouldn't be very hard to find one for a 302 though.

And no the guy gets to keep the winder that was part of are deal..
Dang.
And last but not least to check for a C6 i just need to see if its a 3 speed with out OD and thats a C6 RIght??
Yep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts