Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!

I am obviously extremely late on getting this done but I figured better late than never! I acquired my first ever Bronco about one year ago. I bought it sight unseen based on a craigslist ad from Michigan. The guy I spoke with was very nice, very informative and he was a engineer for Ford. After a lot of conversation, a little back-and-forth and a FaceTime call we made the deal. Besides the giant fiasco of shipping the truck to Arkansas, everything was very smooth and when I receive the bronco I could not be happier. Based on what A lot of people on here say they paid for their‘s, I would say that I probably overpaid a little bit. I’ve always wanted a Bronco since I was in high school but I never made it happen. There were many times when I first got married that I wanted to buy one but there seem to always be a priority that got in the way. Three kids and 15 years later I finally got one. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of a lot of things that was done since I’ve had it but I found a very knowledgeable mechanic that a lot of you guys know who I assume does not have an account anymore. Steve83 helped me create a super motors account and after giving him my bronco and him spending ample time going through it he made me a laundry list of items that need attention and that could use some work later on. I ended up fixing the majority of those wow the truck was with him but since I got it back, I am doing a lot more on my own. The more I work on this, the more I see that I really enjoy that part of things. The list of things he knocked out for me was:

labor for cleaning and inspecting
Align door cheap way
Sleeve (new) seat strike
Brake cable & autoadjuster
Tie rod boots
Steering box (used)
Rear main and oil pan gasket
Clean block and paint
Clean & paint pan and bolts; inst. drain valve
Left valve cover paint & gasket
Engine mounts (new)
+Timing cover gasket
+Dowel sleeve (extract & used original)
+Throttle cable
+Air check valve
+EGR tube
+Weld 3 exhaust leaks
+Left ball joints & camber cam, spindle bearing, pack wheel bearings, wheel seal; brake clip (used)
+Right camber cam
+Axle pivot bushings
Hood seal (used)
Bell housing plate (used) & inst.
*Horn (used)
*Battery bolt (used)
*Pin tab
*Air cleaner mount (used)
*Silicone vacuum lines (new)
*Silicone recirculate vacuum (new)
*Repair ground
*Brake fluid (new)
*Reset pinion bearing preload
*ATF hose and filter (new) & inst.
*Fuel pump access plate (new) & inst.
*Attempt to fix fuel gauge
*Charcoal canister (used), hoses (new)
*Coffee can plastic (used)
*Swing away strike bushing (new) & inst.
*Trans mount (new) R&R
*Alignment

Now obviously, after all of this was taken care of one would think that the truck should be good to go. With my bad habit of never leaving things alone and being extremely OCD, I have created more and more work that never seems to end. So far I have done the following:

New egr valve
Painted interior trim white
Deaver front springs (replaces with procomp)
Replaced interior screws
Replaced tail lights
Replaced headliner and visors
New 35x12.50R15 Cooper tires
Bought new center caps (mine were rusted)
Installed new lug nuts
Replaced steering wheel center piece

Now upcoming mods that I will start posting progress pics on and I have most of the pieces:

Replace chrome reveal trim on side windows
Replace fuel filter
Replace body mounts
Replace head unit
Replace door and rear speakers
Install Alpine power pack amp for door speakers
Install fosgate 12” sub
Install CB radio
Install sound dampener
Install new carpet
Install oil sending unit
Install fuel sending unit
Touch up paint/clean under hood with POR-15
Clean and paint frame and chassis with Metalize spray coating
Chase down and fix slow start up

Hopefully in the next 6 months, I’ll get the borgeson steering shaft and red head steering box. I’m 99% sure that would fix the slop left in my steering.

So as I said, I unfortunately didn’t start a build before now but will keep this updated as I go!!

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

You can see in this picture that both my fuel gauge and my oil pressure gauge are messed up. I’m hoping that replacing the oil sending unit will fix the oil gauge and replacing the fuel sending unit will fix the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The interior trim around the hardtop had turned yellow over the years with a I am assuming smoke. After pulling it out and cleaning it with alcohol I painted it with a vinyl paint and painted all the screws. Much better!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

bought and installed deaver springs and couldn’t stand the nose high look. Took them off, cleaned and painted the procomp springs and reinstalled them. Much better!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Had the top off a bit and really enjoyed the fresh air however didn’t enjoy a lot of the flexing and popping noises I heard! I also didn’t like the fact that it really limited how often and where I could drive it so it went back on. I do love the way she looked without the top though!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Installed new tail lights from parts geek and man what a difference. I actually polished those old ones a few times and that’s all I got out of them. Also, don’t forget the little details!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

New headliner. Much much better than the old ripped sagging one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Old carpet in the front and new in the back. It came like this to me so I’ll be ordering all new carpet and installing it while the interior is gutted to do sound dampener. Still cleaned it because I want it nice in the mean time. Plus I absolutely love detailing cars.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here is a picture I found that I had while the motor was out getting repaired and painted. I didn’t do the passenger valve cover mainly because i was running out of money from all the crap Steve did AND it wasn’t leaking. Well now it drives me nuts when I open the hood and guess what? It’s leaking lol. I have the gasket but I’m a little intimidated by the task. Maybe I’ll get the courage soon!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here is a pic of her on the truck from Michigan and me getting flowmasters installed great after lol. Took the cat out and ran true duals with two 40’s out at an angle. Sounds amazing!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The goodies I’ve received lately.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the plan is as follows:

strip the interior
Install body mounts
Fix the fuel sender through access door
Install sound dampener
Run speaker wire and install new Polk speakers and alpine head unit
Paint seat brackets and odd and in brackets
Install new mass backed carpet
Install seats and fix small rattles that are driving me nuts!
Then install the fosgate 12 and wrap the box in the old blue carpet I took out.
I’m hoping this all takes place in the next week or 2. We shall see!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

like I said earlier, a passion of mine is detailing vehicles. After getting this thing, I washed, decon the paint, clayed the paint and then used a dual action polished with a 3-1 compound and polished it. The paint on this is amazing for having a new base and clear coat before I bought it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice work you've done. Your Bronco is mint.
Thank you! Hopefully my kids will appreciate it one day

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Energy suspension bushings ready to go in!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replaced the fuel filter tonight with a new k&n (all auto zone had) fuel filter. When I took it out and turned it over, the gas was nasty like mud water and a little thick. Hoping this may help the delayed staring. I turned it on/off like 5 times and it started great but never really got to temp. I’ll drive it around tomorrow and see!!

Once i get my carpet, sound dampener and subwoofer in the mail, I’m going to start tearing the interior out and get ready for body mounts!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Got the front interior stripped and cleaned up the tub. I’ll strip the back out tonight after baseball practice then on to body mounts!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts