Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Hey @mattmann, are you somewhere near pope county Arkansas? I think I saw your bronco when I was down there last month. If so man it is stunning in person!
Hey man! Not going to say that wasn’t me because I’m around there quite a bit, but I don’t stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Well......started tackling the steering issues today. Figured I would do the Sag swap, borgeson and blue top myself and save the $500 labor when doing gears and then I could buy a truetrac for the front also 😇
Got the steering box off without too many issues and got the new one on.
Next up was the shaft. Got the bottom bolt out to take the steering box out and it was fine. The top bolt WILL NOT MOVE. It was ridiculously tight and rounded over the minute I started pulling. Went and bought the special sockets for those and they didn’t work. Used 6pt sockets. No luck. Used heat. No luck. Beat a 12mm on. No luck. Just stripped again. Sooooo now the plan is, install sag swap, prime and fill system, install factory shaft, drive somewhere and get a nut welded on to brake loose. Then I’ll install the borgeson.
On a brighter note, my taillights came in from outlaw customs. I need to get some led reverse bulbs for them and then I’ll install them and post some pics but I’m very excited!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Anyone have any ideas to get rounded off bolts out?? This is the top bolt that goes in the u-joint on the top of the steering shaft.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Anyone have any ideas to get rounded off bolts out?? This is the top bolt that goes in the u-joint on the top of the steering shaft.

You try really tight vicegrips? dont forgot to liberally spray it with kronoil too

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
You try really tight vicegrips? dont forgot to liberally spray it with kronoil too

Man I don’t know that I can get vice grips on there. There are so many things in the way and it doesn’t give you room. What is kronoil? I used Wd-40.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
582 Posts
Maybe soak it in Kronoil or similar and drill it with a reverse drill bit. Heat wrench might assist also. Heat around the bolt not the bolt. Try to expand the metal around it.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,501 Posts
Man I don’t know that I can get vice grips on there. There are so many things in the way and it doesn’t give you room. What is kronoil? I used Wd-40.

Kroil, it's a penetrating oil from Kano Labs that's a lot more effective than WD-40. Smells awesome too!

You can often find it in gun stores with cleaning supplies.

Another effective alternative is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone... although it doesn't smell as good.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Sooooo here is the update. Had a local mobile welder come by and weld a nut on the bolt and break it lose. Had it done in about 10 min no problem. Got the old pump off today, went to install the new E-150 hose on the new pump and no dice. Wouldn’t work at all. Terrible angle made it awful. After spending an hour trying and talking to @MS88Bronc I then went on a Saturday excursion to find one. Luckily I found out the advanced auto store about 25 min from my house had a machine and material to make a custom high pressure line. Got it made up and came home. Installed the sag, ac compressor and belt then connected the hose. On the rubber return line, I accidentally broke the clip on it and had to use a hose clamp that was a PAIN to install because I kept the factory cooling coil. All that is done now. Then I started on the borgeson. Luckily I found a good write up on here thanks to @realfloppyguy and have got it cut and ready to install. I’ll try and wipe it down and paint it tonight, install it tomorrow (have to line up the blue marks on the bluetop box) and adjust the tie rod ends enough to get it close. Then I have to put fluid in, make sure there are no leaks and get it on the road. On a brighter note, I got my headlight harness upgrade from JBG, headlights shipped and will be here Monday, and I also bought the upgraded battery/ground kit from eBay and it should be here Monday also. Got some cleaning and painting to do when I tear the front cap off for headlights, then install battery cables, then headlights!! On another bummer note, I tried to install tails the other day and my FREAKING back window won’t roll down again. Assuming the safety switch bypass came lose. I have to get that done then taillights. Then drive this bad boy lol.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Man I almost forgot. I also installed a new billet steering column bearing from bluetop that’s supposed to help with steering wheel slop that comes from the broken plastic bearing. I would highly recommend it but the 3 tiny stainless screws are a major pita to install and tested my patience big time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Another angle of why the factory E150 pressure line wouldn’t work

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
582 Posts
Couldn't you bend that to closer to a 90 and maki it work? If not read this.

Just get the steering box adapter for your box.

PXL_20210107_203604348.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Yeah I’m sure I could have bent it a little to make it work but I was nervous about crimping it. And the side that went in the box was all wrong also and had a lot of unnecessary metal IMO. I think this hose that the guy made me should work just fine. It utilizes my factory end that goes in the box, just cut to make it shorter and a new end going into the pump. Fingers crossed I don’t have any leaks. What’s the 2nd pic you attached?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Got everything on and assembled again and she’s running. I only drove it down the cove and back as I was on baby duty and didn’t have a car seat but they enjoyed playing in the back. You can steer these 35’s with one finger and ZERO whine and it is tight. The steering wheel is off which I know means I need an alignment which I assumed. Can’t wait to putt around town tomorrow and see how she really handles.
Next on the list, I’m going to get my rear glass working........again, change taillights and wire the Bluetooth module. Then take the front cap apart, take the battery out, prep and paint battery tray and core support corrosion from acid, install new heavy gauge battery cables, new JBG headlight harness and then new headlights. The one thing I’ve noticed is the alternator squeaking tonight. I’ll replace that while I’m at it doing all the front stuff and go ahead and upgrade. After all this, I’ll take it back to Ford and let them repair the neutral safety switch gasket so my trans stops leaking and hopefully be done for a bit. Lockers, gears, new glass and tint are next!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Hello all and good to be back. I don’t know about you all but even though the majority of the country apparently didn’t vote like I did, my business is CRAZY busy and I’m taking full advantage of that so I haven’t been around at all! Just sat down and started helping the wife with dinner and figured I would catch anyone that cares up to date with my rig. So the headlight/tailight deal has been a NIGHTMARE. This guys cs sucks very badly and I won’t ever recommend him again. The product is nice and what I ordered but man it was a fight. The worst part is, now that I’ve gotten them, I don’t honestly want them because I want to go a different direction with the build a bit. I’ll be selling those via social media soon and have already ordered a different set from Tony at Baja Retrofits. They keep the classic look I’m going for. I got the steering all done and she drives like a dream. Holds straight going down the interstate and turns GREAT! No more steering pump noises!! I drove it last week to Little Rock and left her with a great shop. They are doing:
1) 4.10 Nitro gears front and rear
2) Detroit truetrac
3) pulling my C6 and cleaning/sealing it and replacing rear main
4) alignment and return steering wheel to “center”
5) replacing front and rear diff cover with new nitro covers that have drain plugs and more capacity.

He’s also helping me diagnose my rough idle (he feels it’s injectors), long start and pricing recalibrating the speedometer. They have a great reputation and he’s VERY knowledgeable about Broncos and very fair priced. I can’t wait!! Should be ready in about another week or so because they are just now getting going. I’ve also signed up for my very first car show in Mississippi and can’t wait. As long as my wife doesn’t kick me out for all the money spent, especially the headlight money, I should be golden! I’ll update everyone the moment I get her back!!
Here are the new headlights I ordered:

Truck is almost the same but color swapped!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,833 Posts
Those headlights look a ton better than the other ones. Id actually condier running these. I dont see a listing for them on their site though, mind if i ask how much they set you back?

·
Registered
95 EB 5.8
12 Posts
Awesome write up. I will admit, when I saw the first set of headlights, I was questioning your decision making on putting those on such a nice looking truck. The new set will look awesome. Also, thanks for the info on the carpet. I will be tackling this on mine shortly. I just purchased it, and the carpet is horrible.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I actually dig those headlights a lot more than the first. I hope they work out! Where you going in MS for the shows??? Coast?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Those headlights look a ton better than the other ones. Id actually condier running these. I dont see a listing for them on their site though, mind if i ask how much they set you back?
Thanks man. They are pricey at $700 but these, to me, are well worth it. He makes another set for $600 that are awesome too but I like this ALMOST factory look with amazing performance. No need to install light bars and all that jazz, HID power and the proper projector to aim them. Well worth it to me!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Awesome write up. I will admit, when I saw the first set of headlights, I was questioning your decision making on putting those on such a nice looking truck. The new set will look awesome. Also, thanks for the info on the carpet. I will be tackling this on mine shortly. I just purchased it, and the carpet is horrible.
I don’t know what I was thinking on the others man lol. His service is absolute trash and I got sucked in to the Instagram crap and bought in. Hard lesson learned and regretted it a week later.

I actually dig those headlights a lot more than the first. I hope they work out! Where you going in MS for the shows??? Coast?
No not yet. This is in olive branch. Small local show. Other one is in hot springs Arkansas. That’s a bigger one!

161 - 180 of 197 Posts