Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have a few issues that I think may mean my 5.0 engine in my 1990 XLT Bronco with A4OD needs to be rebuilt. Just looking for confirmation from you more experienced fellas.

1. Oil coming out of the crankcase breather hose - Blow by at the valves??
2. Water and fuel odor on the oil dip stick when I pull it out.

I am thinking that at the very least I need to do a valve job and have a leaky head gasket. At most those two plus a cracked block. What do you think, am I right? What are the symptoms of a cracked block?

The reason I ask is that I got a pretty big bonus at work this week and I have been contemplating a rebuild on the engine anyways. However, if the block really is cracked then I need to save the bonus and some more $$$ to get another block.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has about 180k on it. It doesn't run hot and hasn't ever been run hot. Oil doesn't really "blow" from the crankcase breatherhose but it definitely comes out of it; I go through a breather filter about every month and half or two months. It just gets oil soaked.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The fuel in the oil and blow by are screaming bad rings to me, fuel will eat thru the rings rather fast. I would say time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually forgot about the engine flush stuff. I did do the PCV trick but it is no longer working.

But in conjunction with the other issues I thought I would ask here. Just thought I'd ask for a second opinion since I figured I was do for a rebuild.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Actually forgot about the engine flush stuff. I did do the PCV trick but it is no longer working.

But in conjunction with the other issues I thought I would ask here. Just thought I'd ask for a second opinion since I figured I was do for a rebuild.
Try the flush

it's an awful lot cheaper and easier than the rebuild YK. The water in the oil could just be coffee coloured foam and any older engine is gonna have gas slippin' by the rings. It's when you have oil in the coolant that you're F#@*ed.

Sixlitre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts