Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 had headers put on it a couple weeks ago and up until now it's run great. I haven't had the time to finish the exhaust system with a new high-flow cat, etc, and it hasn't been highway bound exempt 3 trips. My first 2 trips everything was great, didn't have any problems on the highway or in town afterwards. The 3rd time however...

Coming home from the lake prior to hitting the highway, I picked up on a car that was riding my back bumper starting to slow down and back way off. I also noticed a burning smell coming from the truck but didn't see any smoke, so I pulled off to a gas station to check it out. After the engine's been run at non-idle speeds for awhile you can hear a sound that reminds me of a bad lifter but it'll disappear as soon as the truck is cut off and back on.

The last time I heard that sound was from when I burnt all the oil out of my truck, checked the oil and it was fine. The burning smell also disappeared pretty much as soon as I pulled it into the station.

I had a friend follow me as I limped home on the highway and he noticed that whenever I put good pressure on the gas pedal (up hills and what have you) a clear-whitish smoke would trickle out of the exhaust. My power was next to nothing in comparison to the trip to the lake as well. The trip there was just about as perfect as it could be.

I've been given answers of maybe it's the truck trying to learn how to handle the difference between Manifolds and headers, to my Mass Air Sensor might be bad, to it just needs a tune up because of the headers, to it's my Cat clogged and being cleaned out.

I'll be taking it to a shop to have someone check all my sensors and what have you, but i'm actually curious to see if it's not something you guys are familiar with and if it's not something I may be able to fix myself.

Ideas? (Eventually i'll learn not to make novel-sized posts)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No check engine lights, no needles going hay wire in my pannel, nothing of that sort.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does your coolant stay full? A slow leak, like the 2000 Jeep XJs (bad head casting), will allow a little coolant to "burn off" in the motor. White-ish smoke and slow coolant loss, among other things, were the symptoms.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No coolant leak. I'll recheck my oil tomorrow, ended up having to buy a new dipstick tube (thanks worthless sob's that put my headers on). Bent it all to hell then for kicks decided to just sit it on top of my engine disconnected.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
so when did you do the mass air swap?

have you checked your header bolts to make sure they are tight. Pull codes, just because the CEL isnt flashing doesnt mean there isnt codes present. I would also double check your spark plug wires and boots to make sure none of them have melted to the headers. this will cause a lose in power. also make sure the shop that did the install reconnected your o2 sensor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't do the mass air swap. The original owner put this in;

I also checked and the O2 sensor is attached, and from what header bolts I could get my sockets around, they're tight. None of my boots have melted to the headers either.

The K&N filter I have is the same one that came with it. I've been trying to find a replacement but i'm not even having luck on their website. I've used recharge kits on it before, and this most recent time it would actually choke itself to a stall after I oiled the filter. I cleaned the filter, put it on without oil, and cleaned the IAC and that problem was solved. The filter on it right now has had a rough life, it's starting to get small holes in its filter, which is why i've been trying to find a new one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No check engine lights, no needles going hay wire in my pannel, nothing of that sort.

I know oil pressure is more of an idiot light with a needle, unsure if H2/0 is as well... I would give the gauges zero credibility.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took that into consideration. I knew if it was something like my pump going bad or if I had run out of oil my gauge wouldn't work (happened before). Water was fine, reservoir was right where it needed to be.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I didn't do the mass air swap. The original owner put this in;

I also checked and the O2 sensor is attached, and from what header bolts I could get my sockets around, they're tight. None of my boots have melted to the headers either.

The K&N filter I have is the same one that came with it. I've been trying to find a replacement but i'm not even having luck on their website. I've used recharge kits on it before, and this most recent time it would actually choke itself to a stall after I oiled the filter. I cleaned the filter, put it on without oil, and cleaned the IAC and that problem was solved. The filter on it right now has had a rough life, it's starting to get small holes in its filter, which is why i've been trying to find a new one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
There is no mass air meter on this truck.

The air filter looks a lot like the KN performance setup:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-57-2503/?rtype=10

If it were my truck, I would make a trip to the bone yard and dig up a stock filter housing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
have you changed your oil? If you havent Id let it sit for a few days and then change it. When you do if water or coolant comes out of the drain plug before the oil then you more than likely have a blown or at least leaky gasket. The oil will also be kinda milky or greyish

Another way to tell, or at least clue you in would be (after running the truck around town) taking your finger and swiping it in the exhaust pipe (yes it is hot) but if it comes out dry youre possibly ok. If it comes out wet take a little taste to see if its water or possibly coolant. Thats another sign of a blown gasket.

Does it run warm?

I had a problem similar to this without the hesitation after I ran it warm for a few minutes. Ended up being that there was too much tranny fluid (I had added a quart that morning) and when I got on it, the tranny fluid forced itself out of the filler tube and dropped on the y pipe thus creating white smoke and a burning smell

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seemed to be running a little warm when I pulled over after I first noticed a problem. The exhaust was clean no soot, and didn't smell like oil. However, the warm feel was from popping the hood itself. The Temp Gauge was running about the same if I remember correctly.

I haven't touched my tranny fluid, and I had planned on changing my oil in the very near future. If I get a chance to change the oil before I leave for a trip, i'll let you know what it came out looking like.

And OK BigWheelz, thanks for letting me know I don't even have one. The link you gave me is almost like the set-up I plan on buying and replacing my current one with if I can't find the right filter. The one I was buying just had a shield on a couple sides. Would a stock system be just as effective with headers?

·
Registered
845 Posts
mine did the same thing when I put headers on it. turns out on the passenger I broke a vacuum line and that was causing my exhaust to smoke when I pressed the gas hard. good luck check all the vacuum lines.

-ian

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see any lines loose or disconnected, but that'll be one thing to make sure the guy checks.

Did that start happening to you immediately?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I found where my new dipstick tube is supposed to go, and in comparison to the passenger side it's got a bunch of globbed up thick black residue that looks like burnt up oil. Put the dipstick in without the tube and it read full, put the tube in and tried again twice and got nothing on the dipstick. Can only assume oil's been forcing its way out of the hole bit by bit.

That probably solves the pinging sound I got after it ran warm for awhile, but would having little oil cause the clear whitish smoke and burning smell? For reference the burning smell was not a smell of oil burning, at least not in my opinion.

Oh, and the oil was clean. Needs to be changed like I thought, but it's not gritty or milky and doesn't smell or look like anything but oil.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I needed a sensor, would putting just headers on really make that much of a difference? Other than a lift and a 3G alt, the headers were the first thing i've done to it. Never had a problem just buzzing around town even after the Headers were put on, didn't have this problem until after the truck sat for a few hours after a descent highway trip.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
pull the oil cap and look under it , if you see any water on it you have a blown headgasket. if the cooland isnt leaking from anywhere and you are puffing white smoke your headgsaket is blown . is the engine missfireing ? does the engine run hot EVER. does the engine consume oil or lesk it? when you take the radiator cap off does the coolant inside bubble out or does it gointo the over fill tank while driving? did you check all the engine oil for water ? headers will not make smoke the engine will and it not the headers fault. the engind will remap itself over time , you didnt do enough changes to make any differance anyway soo i wouldnt worry about that part. what os the odometer reading?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
And OK BigWheelz, thanks for letting me know I don't even have one. The link you gave me is almost like the set-up I plan on buying and replacing my current one with if I can't find the right filter. The one I was buying just had a shield on a couple sides. Would a stock system be just as effective with headers?
I do not think the filter charger setups add anything but hot air to the engine....they are snake oil IMHO. If it were my money I would get a stock setup from the bone yard for 1/10 the cost of a new performance air filter system

As for your engine issue, exactly how much oil did you have to add to bring it back into the normal range? Is your oil pressure normal? Does your engine make any new noises? The smoking and pinging have me concerned that you may have run it out of oil and damaged your engine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts