Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i have searched quite a bit (still reading the tranny sticky) and came up with little info on manual to manual swap like what i am looking into doing now. per some suggestions i have been told to swap my dead mazda tranny for the ZF tranny for its durrability and granny gear. now the main questions i have are....

must come from a 302 or 351 gas engine, and be a 4x4 from factory (for minimal work)
clutch, pedals, tcase, x member will all swap directly over.

second i notice that some have had to get diff or mod their driveshafts with the swap (again all auto to ZF). do i have to front or rear?

what about electricals? all the same plugs or am i going to be doing some rewiring?

Ben
95 f150 with a 302 and the mazda 5spd

·
Registered
858 Posts
It will bolt on, probably new pedals, I think drivelines might work, new clutch, new TO bearing, slave (yours is currently an internal slave the ZF is an external), most everythink else should be plug and play.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It will bolt on, probably new pedals, I think drivelines might work, new clutch, new TO bearing, slave (yours is currently an internal slave the ZF is an external), most everythink else should be plug and play.
ZF does not have an external slave, why would he need new pedals??? They use the same hydraulic master cylinder. The clutch would work fine as well unless he has an 10.5 and wants to upgrade to an 11" there would be no need to change it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i just want to double check this that the 460 ZF will not bolt up to my 302 block...... i dont think it will but just in case.

i am upgrading to the 11 clutch (since i paid for it already)

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
ok so i just want to double check this that the 460 ZF will not bolt up to my 302 block...... i dont think it will but just in case.
No you need a small block ZF

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok going to make this a info source since i am still drawing blanks on the manual swap info. so just editing info as i get it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so honestly guys whats my chances of finding a good 4x4 ZF? every 250 or 350 i keep looking at are all the big block 4--. should i just go with a rebuild on my mazda...

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Look for a F250 with an I-6.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so i can get a rebuilt ZF shipped from AZ for around 1200 to 1300. or i can go with a used ZF non rebuilt with 100,000 miles on it shipped for 850 to 950, again AZ some where. are these resonable prices? whats the norm life span for a ZF? and any one know about the length of the ZF with a borg case mounted to it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like the rebuilt one is a better deal. That is a respectable price. I am not sure on the length. I am converting from a C6, so I'm pretty sure I'll need different drive shafts.

Have you decided what size clutch and flywheel you will be using.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am going with the 11 inch clutch mostly because thats what auto zone had and i did not want to wait or go searching all over for a 10.5 inch one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts