Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after looking at diff. pics (exploded drawings), of the m5od (whatever its called). Are the 2x4 and 4x4 interchangable??

looks like the tail piece can be swapped from 2x4 to 4x4, or is the tail/output shaft diff. length in the two?

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
no the splines on a 2-wheel drive has i belive a 29 spline out-put shaft and the 4-wheeldrive has a 31 spline and it is longer i belive, but u can get a 4x4 version out put shaft and tail and swap it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
realy didnt know that...I thought all ford truck trans had the same spline count on the output shaft..

But it can be swapped with that diff. output shaft and tail piece. That wouldnt be too hard. I think it will be easier to find a 2x4 man. than a 4x4 and thought of this.

my searching for info on swapping to a man. trans is starting to lean to a m5od since it will swap easier since the drive shafts will prob. just bolt in without needing shorting or making longer.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Yes, remove tailhousing and change the output shaft as it is shorter for the 4wd. I didn't thing the splineage was diff either but Steve will prolly chime in with exact infer

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I thought you had to completely dissassemble the transmission to swap the tail? Is that only automatics?

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
Almost any Ford truck trans can be rebuilt to convert between 2- & 4WD, but certainly the ones that were offered from the factory in both configurations.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See thats all I have ever seen are the exploded views. Never the real deal in life next to one another

So the output shaft will need to be swapped and all is gravy then?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts