Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do the knuckle under chevy tre for my sas. Was looking at Ballistic Fabrication for my steering setup. Called today and they said they were out of the Mcquay Norris tre's, but have a nother brand they get but didnt know what brand it was. My question - is Mcquay Norris a good brand of tre? I am not familiar with this brand so any input would be great.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my stuff from them and it was moog stuff and worked out well just need to back out and finish it
That is good to know they have Moog. I would like to know that I am getting quality tre's from them when I order my steering. I just find it odd that when I called and he said they were out of Mcquay Norris tre's he didnt know what the other brand was. I thought somebody had said Mcquay Norris was a division of spicer, therfore the tre's were of good quality. I am under the assumption that Mcquay Norris, Moog, or spicer are the way to go?

Maybee I am just being to picky. Any input on who thinks what tre is of good quality would be appreciated. Getting close to having all of my parts for my swap. :rockon

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I called Ballistic a couple weeks ago to order my steering and trac bar stuff and they told me that their TRE's were QA1 brand.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am confused now because I called them yesterday and he said there main brand was Mcquay Norris.

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
I called Ballistic a couple weeks ago to order my steering and trac bar stuff and they told me that their TRE's were QA1 brand.
their hiem steering...

I am confused now because I called them yesterday and he said there main brand was Mcquay Norris.
The brand is a generic it will get the job done. I personally run Moog.

·
Registered
203 Posts
well the one box said moog for the one that I got and of corse I went to the auto parts store to get the trail fix stuff and they did not have any thing even close to what I got from ballistic (not near as heavy duty)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Although I've heard the quality is good, I don't have any personal experience with Mcquay-Norris. I've used and sold a lot of other brands (including Moog and their oh-so-great "problem solvers") and Spicer has been and is hands down the best quality. As of now I have no reason to stray.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Although I've heard the quality is good, I don't have any personal experience with Mcquay-Norris. I've used and sold a lot of other brands (including Moog and their oh-so-great "problem solvers") and Spicer has been and is hands down the best quality. As of now I have no reason to stray.
If I knew where to actually get spicer TRE's I would get them. However I have not seen them. don't even know their part numbers.

McQuay Norris however is a division/product line of Dana, and I use this brand and have never had an issue:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200410/ai_n9426884

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that. There's a good chance they are the same parts.

BTW: You can get Spicer at your local NAPA.
yea, I have a couple sources for Ujoints, driveshaft, etc. but I have not seen nor know of any part numbers for Spicer TRE's.

FYI, I always have liked "Partsmike" online, and McQuay is what they sell (or used to when I got my steering from them).

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that. There's a good chance they are the same parts.

BTW: You can get Spicer at your local NAPA.
Are you sure about that? I asked about Spicer parts when I was looking for u-joints for my D60 and they told me that NAPA no longer carries the Spicer brand. The only place that I was able to find the Spicer u-joints locally was a hole in the wall drive shaft shop that I use, but I'm pretty sure that they don't stock TRE's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the info. I put a comment in my order from ballistic to only send me McQuay Norris or Moog tre's. I have a couple parts yet to get for swap so not in a rush.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not that this is here nor there but...

Every time I walk into the room they keep the tabs and rod ends at Ballistic I get a chubby.

-Scott
I hear you man. Any links on knuckle reeming tips or how to's?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got the ream from a freind and hand reamed the knuckles and steering arm ,ream would not fit in to 1/2 drill chuck, took about 2 hours and yes you need to take your time when you do this you want the tie rod ends to fit just right and you don't want to go to far with it .got my replacement tre from ballistic and it looks like they changed brands this one post pic later.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Are you sure about that? I asked about Spicer parts when I was looking for u-joints for my D60 and they told me that NAPA no longer carries the Spicer brand. The only place that I was able to find the Spicer u-joints locally was a hole in the wall drive shaft shop that I use, but I'm pretty sure that they don't stock TRE's.
Yes I'm sure. As far as I know NAPA has never sold chassis parts under the Spicer label. NAPA's premium chassis parts however are Spicer parts.

For those of you thinking Moog is at the same level. Think again. While the difference may never become an issue, I think it's good to know.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Yes I'm sure. As far as I know NAPA has never sold chassis parts under the Spicer label. NAPA's premium chassis parts however are Spicer parts.

For those of you thinking Moog is at the same level. Think again. While the difference may never become an issue, I think it's good to know.

I know some folks like moog, I'm not going to state they are inferior, I'm sure it's good stuff. I will say that I would not buy moog if dana/spicer/mcquay stuff is available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts