Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have been a contender / star, LOL not really.

Well, whatever camera footage I was in will likely not be in the final edited footage, but..........Pinks was filming at the cooler of the two local tracks Friday night amongst the normal test N tune night crowd. My buddy gave me the heads up on it in the middle of the week and thankfully I was able to make it out there to Speedworld (tracks been around since the 50's and is almost exactly the same).

Was kinda cool being around that hollywood stuff. They were filming an episode with a nitroused 5.0 against a fur covered vega called wooley beast or something LOL.

While filming people from the production crew went through the pits to look for cars for additional footage since they were around prime material already.

My buddies car was one of only eight to be selected to be included in the tapeing and they're were a lot of cars to choose from. His car is an ultra ultra rare 68' original and still Hemi Coronet R/T 4spd (1 of approx. 135), and this thing is an animal and up there with the funnest car I've ever watched make a pass down the 1320. I've been into Mopars big for over 20 years and really like cars that are all steel and still could be driven on the street, and my buddies car is still street legal actually.

It was cool, the first match up we had was against a nitroused lemans that we had seen cranking out very consistent 10.70's on several passes earlier. Now my buddies car had just undergone some big changes to find some missing et. While his car has gone 10.80's before he had made a few to many changes a while back and she went backwards as is a common problem. He had recently slid a new roller cam in with specs similar to a flat tappet grind that had allowed for the 10.80's previously, fixed a bent valve to get here back on all 8, and the HEMI was sounding as good as ever. Unfortunately the Pinks runs are not against a clock but rather a guy standing down at the end calling the race. When the host started walking over to the lemans me and my buddy immediately turned to each other and I said your gonna have to get this guy on the start, he said I know it! Now my buddies car is a small tire car is a true drivers car, somewhat in-consistent though with the 4spd and always being borderline with traction all the way down the track. Well, he did what he had to do and killed the guy on the start carrying the front wheels for quite a ways out and immediately putting like 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths on the lemans. Again, no timing clocks but looked like a 1.40 ish 60ft and it had done a 1.47 earlier. So, the tires maintained just enough grip and the lemans didn't get around him by the end. As usual, the crowd just kinda freaks when they first see my buddies car make a pass. Its just again such an old school animal often hikeing the front wheels back off the tarmac on the second gear shift and just looking so stock with no tubs and the stock white interior with stock handled shifter etc.

Just a beast. Again, as is common after he put a way the lemans dozens of people in like a disbelief kind of hypnotic trans rushed to meet the old Coronet to see what this thing was about and how it just launched and jumped and moved all over the place like that. People often just don't even know wtf **** they just saw, or are even seeing when looking at the car when parked. Very few ever realize just how rare this big beast really is. People really freak if they spot the original polyglass spare tire and jack that have lived in the trunk since 1968.

The second match up had us against a Nova that had been running consistent 10.60's and well the old Hemi did what its always on the verge of doing and blew the tires off and just spun em too much all the way down the track to take the win this round. Still exciting to watch though.

Well, just thought I'd share. Still riding a bit of a high from being around the Hemi yet again and can't wait to see the old girl again in a couple of weeks for the HEMI Shootout at Speedworld on Mar. 17-19.

Here's a pic of me and him standing next to his car at the HEMI Shootout last year as we are trying to decide what to try to find some of the lost ET. At the time we didn't realize she was only running on 7 with the bent valve and also clearly was not responding to the camswap he had made.

My buddies best friend from his highschool days bought this car in 73 for $800 and he finally got his hands on it in 82 for get this ...........$1000. After serving as a street toy and double date ride back in 73 it had sat in a barn until my friend got the call that he could buy it if he still wanted to. He's been offered and turned down like 200 or 300k to date.

I love this car, its everything a HEMI was meant to be and everything a muscle car was meant to be, and its doing what Dodge built it for. Still kicking ass on the 1320 nearly 40 years later.

Oh, and also.........with all these commercials and throwing the word HEMI around to sell new cars. This is a real Hemi and its not a small block.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Gorgeous car

Far better front end than the butt ugly 70'. Your buddy is just like mine up here. A dragstrip with 50+ GMs and one Mopar and the Mopar takes it or makes it into the top 3 every time.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I likey! :thumbup

What I wouldn't give to find me a $1000 Original Hemi. :doh0715:

On a side note, I watched Overhaulin redo a 67 Charger into a Hemi Clone (crate Hemi) last week. It was sweet, except for the shaker hood they squeezed onto it. I love a shaker, but not on a 67.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,147 Posts
:rockon COOL! :rockon

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I saw the Pinks a few weeks ago with the Wooly beast. It was built by some guys here in town.

Gotta love that old MOPAR muscle. I mean I bleed Ford blue but when it comes time to drag race..............

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
mcaldwell said:
I likey! :thumbup

What I wouldn't give to find me a $1000 Original Hemi. :doh0715:

On a side note, I watched Overhaulin redo a 67 Charger into a Hemi Clone (crate Hemi) last week. It was sweet, except for the shaker hood they squeezed onto it. I love a shaker, but not on a 67.
It wasn't had finding a whipped Hemi car cheap from 74' onwards

after that energy scare and premium leaded becoming scarce. The cars in my high school parking lot would make a grown man cry and we got them for diddley used.

I'm with you on the 67' Charger. They did a good job, but 68-71 is where it's at for B body Chargers (IMO). In their debut year (68') the new coke bottle body style totally stole the Sting Rays thunder.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, never cared for the pre 68 Chargers much.

I'll tell ya, these 68 & 69 Coronets are growing on me big time. You never see them, atleast by comparison you never see em always E-bodies, Chargers & Runners, or A-bodies. Rarely these Coronets. The tail lights on the 68's are way way cool, but not over done and taking up to much space on the rear panel, and the grill on the 68's are also really growing on me. Funky lookin, but cool at the same time. And definetly different, no mistaking it for something else unless you just don't know mopars. Also, pretty strong ass body lines down the rear quarters too. Looking from behind the car and sighting down the sides.........man thats a muscle car.

I also dig the 70 GTX / Runners a bunch, and the 71's are pretty cool as well.

Like a lot or most old muscle, ya have to have some meats out back for the look to really take off.

These old mopars can hold some big ass slicks out back to, by comparison to brand X machines.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
408Bronco said:
I agree, never cared for the pre 68 Chargers much.

I'll tell ya, these 68 & 69 Coronets are growing on me big time. You never see them, atleast by comparison you never see em always E-bodies, Chargers & Runners, or A-bodies. Rarely these Coronets. The tail lights on the 68's are way way cool, but not over done and taking up to much space on the rear panel, and the grill on the 68's are also really growing on me. Funky lookin, but cool at the same time. And definetly different, no mistaking it for something else unless you just don't know mopars. Also, pretty strong ass body lines down the rear quarters too. Looking from behind the car and sighting down the sides.........man thats a muscle car.

I also dig the 70 GTX / Runners a bunch, and the 71's are pretty cool as well.

Like a lot or most old muscle, ya have to have some meats out back for the look to really take off.

These old mopars can hold some big ass slicks out back to, by comparison to brand X machines.
You said it 408

You could stuff a B-body's rear wheelwells full of 50s no trouble at all.

The 68 & 69 Super Bees were the best looking alright. Even though I loved the complex, modern looking tail light panel in the 70' I cannot abide that front split grill !

I've always had a love of the A bodied Cuda 67-69 (not the earlier bubble backed rear windows). It's not that they're expensive, and they probably never will be, but they're hard to find for sale. Their owners just seem to hang onto them.

Horsepressure TV realy dropped the ball building up that lime notchback. They should have used a fastback.

For some reason I've always oved the B-bodies over the E-bodies (maybe it's because I'm SO cheap).

Sixlitre

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Sixlitre said:
after that energy scare and premium leaded becoming scarce. The cars in my high school parking lot would make a grown man cry and we got them for diddley used.

Sixlitre
Aint that the truth I picked up my 69 440 Sixpack Road Runner in 78 for $250.00 in pristine condition. If I ever find the SOB that stole it....... well I'll be posting from the grey bar hotel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts