Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're coming up to that time of year again - the annual Mega Run 4x4 Competition at Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX (northeast TX, about 2 hours east of Dallas). Who's all going?

I plan on going and have already entered my rusty, 65 hp '47 CJ2A Willys flatfender in the Mild class. But right now it's not running right, so if I can't get it ready in time, I'll most likely enter the 93 Bronco.

Ben (MuddyBronco), his buddy Bill, and I were there last year. Even though I didn't compete, and even though I had t-case issues and had to do the trails in 2wd, I still had a lot of fun. Here's a thread with pics that Ben and Bill took at last year's Mega Run:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=475309#post475309

Hope to see a bunch of Broncos there this year!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
damn, wish i were home. id probably ease on up there. i come from nacogdoches. stationed at cherry point, nc

Cool, I was from naconowhere too...went to Raguet Elementary, Central Heights, and NHS...That's my old stompin grounds out past the Cushing Y, near the SFA Ag Farm...

Equin...I'll be there, but not competing....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't be afraid to compete guys. It's all in fun, and you won't be competing against the hardcore truggy/buggies anyway. The competition is separated by class - from mild to extreme. You don't have to do all the events if you don't want to, either. You can do as many as you want, take a break and go wheeling on some of the other trails if you want to, also. Besides, the more Broncos that enter, the more likely it is that at least one Bronco will win an event. If you don't want to compete, that's cool. This'll be my first year competing. I spectated and wheeled the other years - just didn't have a working 4x4 back then.

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
i will be there w/ a different friend this time if he wants to go still, ( my other friends name was brent, not bill...lol, but i plan on going and not getting stuck in that damn hole again

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ill be there for sure this time. I live only 15 min away from gilmer in longview. I wanted go but the bko was bone stock plus I worked. Now at least I got some decent tires to go. So yeah just tell me where to meet and ill be there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MuddyBronco13 said:
i will be there w/ a different friend this time if he wants to go still, ( my other friends name was brent, not bill...lol, but i plan on going and not getting stuck in that damn hole again
Sorry about that Ben! Bill was one of the guys competing in the mid-80's Bronco if I remember correctly. Guess I got everyone's names confused!

I forget, what hole did you get stuck in?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pinnacle said:
Ill be there for sure this time. I live only 15 min away from gilmer in longview. I wanted go but the bko was bone stock plus I worked. Now at least I got some decent tires to go. So yeah just tell me where to meet and ill be there.
Sorry we missed ya last year. I think I remember you saying your Dad was also in an accident last year. Hope he's better. Anyway, it'll be good to meet another Bronco owner.

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
equin said:
Sorry about that Ben! Bill was one of the guys competing in the mid-80's Bronco if I remember correctly. Guess I got everyone's names confused!

I forget, what hole did you get stuck in?

its that first picture on the link you put up, very slick right there, and the open diffs dont do well at all, i just want to get through it

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I was planning on going because I was going to up to 33's...but I don't know if I want to embarrass myself with my little 31" pavement-punching minivan tires......:brownbag

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
I was planning on going because I was going to up to 33's...but I don't know if I want to embarrass myself with my little 31" pavement-punching minivan tires......:brownbag
just go, its going to be a fun time, and we can all go down the kiddie trails for you, and well..... thats all i want to go down anyway.... i want to see all the scenic trails too:rockon

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
meh well see, I probably will have a track meet. Who knows the bronco may not work then anyway :banghead

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
MuddyBronco13 said:
just go, its going to be a fun time, and we can all go down the kiddie trails for you, and well..... thats all i want to go down anyway.... i want to see all the scenic trails too:rockon
:banghead

I guess I will, my girlfriend is like "YOU WILL GO OR DIE" so I guess I have her support...... :toothless

I want to try some upper-scale trails, I like a challenge and I like getting messy, but I don't want/need body damage...so whatever you guys think.

Ben, you've seen my tires in real life......do you get why I don't want to be laughed at? :histerica

Oh, and is there any fees or anything to get in?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries, no embarrassment, Spazmatic! You don't have to enter the competition if you don't want to, and even if you do, it's all in fun anyway. I still have to drive my Bronco back home (plus it'll be towing a little flatfender), so I don't want to do any trails that might cause breakage and prevent me from getting home.

Anyway, the smaller the tire, the more chance you'll be placed in the mild class. I'm entering a rusty POS 47 CJ2A Willys that barely runs right now. It's rusted so bad it even has big holes in the floor board so you can see the ground underneath! I hid the rust with a coat of Krylon OD spray paint. It's running 31s and still has the stock, weak 10-spline Dana 25 and Dana 41 axles. I'm lucky if I can get it to go past 35 mph!

Oh, and I checked the roster recently, and looks like there's only one Bronco signed up for the competition. Like I said, you don't have to enter the competition - the fee for the competition is on top of the fee to get in ($20 entrance fee unless you're a TMTC member, in which case it's $15 if I remember correctly).

·
Hmmm....
1,382 Posts
yeah its like $30 or less to go, its on their website ---- just search for BMRA on google they have a site

about the tires, you wont be laughed at, ..... wel maybe i will just so i can give you hell.... but i know i want to do sunday trail again, and some others, but CANT break anything.... 4 hours home is no bueno when your broke

1 - 20 of 162 Posts