Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the HID's on my Bronco i decided to try one of these kits.
I picked the Meguirs kit because i've had very good experience with their products.

I didn't believe the kit was gonna work very well but it was $20 and it's better than spending a bunch of money on new housings.
I was very pelased with the outcome.
I'll try to take video of it when I'm doing it again.

This is the kit i purchased:
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900

The kits comes with the following:
-bottle of PlastX
-buffing pad
-microfiber towel

Here are my headlights and tailights before the restoration:

The process is pretty straight forward.
First you wash and dry the headlights.
Attach the buffing pad to the drill, apply some of the PlastX and work it in.
Then you wipe it off with the microfiber towel.
You can repeat the process if needed. (I need to repeat it because i missed some areas)

NOTE: i didn't do this but i will next time. Apply some painters tape or something similar to mask off the headlight bezel and surrounding pieces. The PlastX takes some elbrow grease to remove.

And the after pics:

mods: i wasn't sure which section to post this in. if you feel there is a more appropriate area, please move it.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
i have done headlight resto to many cars never having a problem. i haven't use meguirabrasives but most kits work the same way. buff the head light with abrasive pad or suff pad then buff with a compound to clear lights some have a sealer that can be abled to keep them clear,

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
So is the only solution to replace?
no, just wetsand, use some 1000 grit up to 3000grit keeping the sandpaper wet then use a rubbing compound(use a power ball for a drill to apply) followed by the McGuire or equvilant,

mine has been good since june and my fiancees was peeling on her jetta
and i only went up to 2000 grit sand paper

note on sandpaper if you start with 1000 grit go horizontal and when you switch to 2000 grit go vertical, don't do circles or it will come out bad

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the kit from Barry Meguiars and I will try it on the Ranger since the Bronco has NEW lights on it. The twist will be I make a product called Klear Kote and will TRY that as a sealer.
This might be fun.
I also like the wet sand idea might do one each way and see what works and how long it will stay clear. The local guy charges $50.00 to clean headlights. So this will be looked at by him when done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone tried heat on these headlights?
I used a heat gun on my Chevy headlights and I could see them getting clear as I went. The yellowing is a result of thousands of tiny cracks in the surface. The heat lets the cracks fill back in. I also did this on my TJ flares that went gray. Looked like new when I was done.
I recommend this only as a last resort. I couple seconds to long in one spot and you have a big bubble. Yep, I did that. Thankfully they are cheap in the boneyard.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used the Permatex kit i got dirt cheap. worked very well . definitely need to seal it when you're done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts