Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up an oil pump today to try to swap it out tommorow (in the rain, maybe a storm:doh0715:) and im not sure what to get.

I read through that oil pump replacement thread and have a GREAT idea of what to do, big thanks, but one thing concerns me. A couple people on there said that the Melling oil pump cracked their pan, now I only want to do this job ONCE, so i dont want that happening.

Will the Melling high volume oil pump crack my pan, and if so, what other high volume oil pump would work better.

Thanks all, halfway looking foreward to this task just to learn it, but damn im in for a long wet day.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Why do you need a high-volume pump?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone ive talked to and everything ive read said to go high volume. to be honest due to the price difference, i havnt seen a compelling reason NOT to go high volume, short of this pan issue that may or may not happen.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I can say there are many reasons not to go high volume. Foremost is the pan interference, because what good is it if it won't fit? Then there's the added stress on the intermediate shaft. Moving more oil takes more power, though this is usually only a concern on engines that see higher speed. The high volume pump may also serve to heat the oil more than a standard pump because of the additional load and surface area. HV pumps are half-way all right for some chevy engines, but generally aren't any help on Fords. Lastly, if your engine bearings are worn out, the only way to fix it is to fix it. Band-aids like HV pumps and thicker oil only delay the inevitable.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27686&page=6
That was what i was basing it off of. Only a couple had a clearance problem. Thats why im seeing if anyone else had clearance problems. I realize that bandaids dont fix. But i figure 60 bucks and some time which will most likely fix the problem is fine, i cant afford a rebuild right now, or anytime soon, so im trying to stretch out as much life as I can. Plus all signs are pointing toward oil pump as the problem (previous owner spun the dist. gear, no knocking, tinging, lack of performance, blue smoke, or anything that is indicating anything else.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The factory Melling pump is friggin hard enuf, without having to worry about high volume pumps not fitting. That job is a disaster to do. I replaced mine due to low oil pressure, turned out it was too late, the engine had bad bearings, I ran it, or the previous owner ran it too long with low oil at idle, I bought a new 351 for it, just a long block, and when I put the oil pump in it when it was on the crane, I was laughing at how friggin easy that job was, compared to lying under the truck using all my dexterity to get out and install the new pump in the old motor. God be with you on that job though.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
I recently had my oil pump replaced with a Melling standard type...works great so far. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks amanda, ive read through it, so im ready, ill be taking my time so i dont burn myself out either.

so the Melling standard is a OEM spec

Im thinking of going with the TRW high volume. Im going to stick with high volume with a replacement shaft cause any help i can get is good enough for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
my ford interchange book says to use a high volume pump on any sbf. and its a pretty known book sold at borders. ill probaly use a hv when i rebuild my motor.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
my ford interchange book says to use a high volume pump on any sbf. and its a pretty known book sold at borders. ill probaly use a hv when i rebuild my motor.
well my how to build/rebuild the 302 and 351 small block ford says not to use Hi volume

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
To install a high volume oil pump or to not install a high volume oil pump - this arguement is as old as which is better, Ford or Chevy.

I will tell you that I have been running with a high volume oil pump for about 5 years now and had no problems with it. The last time I pulled the disbo, there was little to no wear on the gear. Oh, and I also add Lucas to the oil as well and I'm sure that will open up a whole new can of worms.

Just adding my 2 penny's....

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright back to the origional question.

WILL THE PAN CRACK. Mellings what i gotta go with for high volume, so has anyone done the replacement with the stock pan and had it crack?

Please no more high volume vs. no, im starting to pull the pan so i gotta hear some answers.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The pan should not crack due to the change in the oil pump. All the pan does is collect and hold the oil till it's sucked up by the pump again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts