Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'91 5.0 E4OD, 6" long-arm lift, shackle-flip, 35" Procomp M/Ts, 4.56 gears & lockers
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mevotech TTX "Terrain Tough" Ball Joints

I spent an embarassing amount of time researching ball joints. My passengers were completely shot, balls flopping around in the socket, I figured drivers weren't far behind. They're the original BJs, after all.

I looked for Spicer but couldn't find them for the ttb d44. Not sure if they got discontinued or what. It came down to Moog, which a lot of people have complained about recently, or Napa Chassis Parts (which I believe are McQuay Norris) or Rockauto had these Mevotech TTX ball joints. (Note that the Mevotech TTX appear to be rebranded by Napa as their "Control Arm and Suspension" product line). I also checked out XRFs, which looked pretty good. I initially bought a set from JBG, but returned them when they turned out to be "Quick Steer" economy brand (RockAuto sold the same ones for $5 ea.). There was relatively little info on the TTX line from actual users, but what little there was was pretty good. I didn't want to spend $500 on BJs, so I decided to take the risk on the TTX ball joints. They were about $25 ea. from Rock Auto. So i guess I get to be your guinea pig on these things.

First, yes, they are made in China. But what I found is that most of them are China made (generally, Moogs included). But it really comes down to manufacturing processes, etc. Frankly, I had a hard time finding BJs that weren't made in China for under $500.

Second, Mevotech is a Canadian company, seems they do a lot of "value" type parts, but wanted to get into a more premium product line with this TTX line, although the price point is still pretty attractive. If they work as advertised and hold up, could be a great value.

Third, I'm not sure how much of their features are gimmicks designed to convince suckers like me to pull the trigger on them, vs whether the features make a difference. The true test will be how they feel and how they hold up over time.

Out of the box, they felt pretty stout. No movement by hand. They are the exact same dimensions as the OE bjs. The uppers included an instruction sheet, but if you need that you probably shouldn't be installing them yourself. Each BJ also includes a lower snap ring (not used on our uppers), zerk fittings with caps (straight and 90 degree), new style cotter pin, new nut (w/ thread locker already applied), and "install adapter", which is basically a metal ring that sits on the shoulder of the ball joint, which makes it easier to fit the right adapter from your bj press kit onto the joint. You could install them without it, but it was kind of handy. I haven't greased them yet, but they claim to have a one-way valve in the boots to prevent overfilling with grease (I tried to get that in the picture).

I tossed them in the freezer overnight and cleaned up the knuckles with a wire brush and some fine Emery cloth. The first one was really tight to press in. It didn't want to go, but I got it there. The other three pressed in tight but with no problems.

It'll be a while before I get to see how they feel since I'm regearing at the moment and don't have a lot of free time to devote to it. But I plan to check back in when I finally get to drive it. I'm not currently replacing any other steering parts so I should get a good feel for how the BJs, alone, perform. (If they prematurely wear out, I'm going with Napa Chassis Parts as replacements).

So i guess this isn't really a true review yet, just a placeholder for a future review. But I will check back in after I drive them, and if they fail in a year, I'll update as appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,723 Posts
I used Ingalls brand from JBG. They seem to be very similar, other than the green boot

·
Registered
'91 5.0 E4OD, 6" long-arm lift, shackle-flip, 35" Procomp M/Ts, 4.56 gears & lockers
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Ingalls brand from JBG. They seem to be very similar, other than the green boot
When I checked JBG, they didn't specify a brand but the part number for the 80-96 Bronco TTB D44 ball joints they offered was consistent with the Moogs so that's what I thought I was getting. Nope -- what arrived were "Quicksteer" brand (which I understand is Federal Mogul's "value" brand), the same ones RockAuto sells for $5 each. They might be fine quality, but I couldn't see putting $5 ball joints on my rig.

I didn't see Ingalls brand on JBG. Must have rotated them out.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
interesting.didn't come across those when I bought my BJ's. having a good set of quality ball joints is critical when running larger tires and I didn't want to scrimp. wound up going with the USA Alloy PN 11802 they were almost $200, which I thought was pretty high and listed for jeeps but will work on any dana44 axle..had these for over 2 years and have beat the piss out them and they've held up real well..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting.didn't come across those when I bought my BJ's. having a good set of quality ball joints is critical when running larger tires and I didn't want to scrimp. wound up going with the USA Alloy PN 11802 they were almost $200, which I thought was pretty high and listed for jeeps but will work on any dana44 axle..had these for over 2 years and have beat the piss out them and they've held up real well..
I found a lot of the "heavy duty" BJs were marketed for Jeep D44s. Will any D44 ball joint fit in the TTB? If so, that could expand my options with respect to looking into Jeep products.

Nice to know those have held up. I will look into those if these TTX fail.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
I found a lot of the "heavy duty" BJs were marketed for Jeep D44s. Will any D44 ball joint fit in the TTB? If so, that could expand my options with respect to looking into Jeep products.

Nice to know those have held up. I will look into those if these TTX fail.
can't speak to any other balljoints, but I know for a fact that these work.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,723 Posts
Oddly, summit doesn't carry the ford BJs from Ingalls, only dodge, or adjustable. Maybe they discontinued them

They've been around since the 40s, and the units I got were nice and tight, though I could move them without the grease pressure.

·
TTB FTW
885 Posts
another option is Proforged, they are made in Taiwan I belive. I havent used their balljoints yet but they look pretty good.Price is good compared to Alloy USA(about 120 vs 200 for the Alloy USA). Proforged uses a Forged SAE 4140 Chromoly steel ball stud with a Forged SAE 1045 housing. same metal in the stud as Alloy USA,but the housing is made out of a different material. Alloy USA uses a SAE 4120 Chromoly for the housing.

Proforged - Severe Duty Chassis Parts

I contacted Mevotech to see what metal they use in their balljoints,but they told me it was a "trade secret" and they use "Pwr-Tek Design that uses high tensile strength steel". Bunch of fancy talk for using inferior metal in my opinion. Other manufactures tell you what they use,so why cant Mevotech. Canadians...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I contacted Mevotech to see what metal they use in their balljoints,but they told me it was a "trade secret" and they use "Pwr-Tek Design that uses high tensile strength steel". Bunch of fancy talk for using inferior metal in my opinion. Other manufactures tell you what they use,so why cant Mevotech. Canadians...
Ha. Of course. "Trade secret" metal means tin foil.

I guess this is what I get for being the guinea pig on these things.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have had Mevotech TTX balljoints in my 96 BKO for about 6 months now. They installed nice and feel great so far, although I only have about 400 miles on them. Sometimes when the cheap ones are installed the steering becomes very stiff and I did not experience that. We will see how they do over time. As pointed out earlier many of the brands are now made in China.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
i faced a similar situation a couple years back. i saw the mevotech parts and i have actually used mevotech for lower control arms / ball joints on my wife's escape. they've been ok so far.

i ended up going with centric premium ball joints. i've used centric parts for brakes before and was happy. i was happy when i installed them. however, i'll have to keep these in mind if i end up replacing mine.

my main point, though, is that i agree we are limited in our options these days for ball joints. and USA made are few and far between.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I haven't done balljoints on a truck in a while - last victim was my old '01 Dakota 4x4 (beating those things out was not high on my fun times list) but what problems have members here had with the Moog parts?

I always used the HD or "problem solver" parts with no issues. Since I plan on going through the entire suspension / steering of the '93 - I figured given the miles on the truck (190K) I'll be doing ball joints.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what problems have members here had with the Moog parts?
I can't speak to personal experience, but what I gathered in doing a lot of reading up is that for about the last 6-8 years or so, people are complaining that the quality of Moogs going down hill, early part failures, etc. Something to do with different corporate structure or ownership, cost cutting, shipping manufacturing overseas, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
what problems have members here had with the Moog parts?
on my last vehicle, many people would burn through sway bar end links from moog, me included. i replaced all the steering components in my bronco with moog and one failed in less than a year. and i feel pretty good that i had a lower control arm/ ball joint failure from moog on my wife's escape.

so, when it was time to tackle the ball joints on this thing, i figured i couldn't do worse than moog if i tried a different brand.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I promised to update after I had a chance to drive these things. I've had these out a few times, one pretty good overnight offroad trip. Nothing too intense (that'll come next month), but I didn't have any problems that I can attribute to the BJs. My steering is still pretty loose and tends to wander, but I can't blame the BJs for that -- it did that before. I had hoped the new ones would cure that, but I also know I need TREs and will probably to a TRE flip and new redhead steering box at the same time. Also, I haven't aligned it yet. So for now, all I can say is it doesn't handle any worse, but after I get the other new steering components in and a proper alignment, then it'll probably highlight the better BJs. In sum, jury is still out.

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
that or a redhead will help clean up the rest of the looseness..

Reactions: scottji
1 - 20 of 34 Posts