Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Source:
http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

Basically, if you upgrade your motherboard, you're (defined by Microsoft) getting an entirely new computer.

:bs :bs :bs

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
OK

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
So are they trying to say by installing their operating system on a new motherboard that you are technically supposed to purchase it again?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
So don't get the OEM version of Windows...we have CD's here at work with OEM Windows on it that will only work on the computers they came with and it was pre Windows XP on Dell laptops. So its not just an XP thing. Build a computer and buy a non OEM Windows if you are worried about upgrading it. Personally if your into gaming you are better off building your own from scratch. You can put all the primo components in them. Thats what I do.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Yea, the only reason i use Windows is because it came on my dell. When i build my gaming computer like InkDawg says, i am going to look for other options, the only problem is that Windows is like the cadilac of operating systems.

I miss DOS

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I've upgraded, put in my CD key to register, came back saying un-able to authenticate. Called them up, told them my computer got ruined in a hosue fire and that insurance had to replace my computer, and now my CD key doesn't work (act dumb... ok?) Poof, 5 minutes later I was good to go. Then again, I didn't have an OEM CD key, I purchaded my xp and ran it on one computer only.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
the only problem is that Windows is like the cadilac of operating systems.
That makes Linux the Stealth Bomber of OS's then I suppose :toothless (without the price tag)

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JahWarrior said:
That makes Linux the Stealth Bomber of OS's then I suppose :toothless (without the price tag)
Yeah, I guess so.

The next computer I'm building will have Linux. I will keep this computer the way it is....for gaming and such. Either that or use my *cough*borrowed*cough* WinXP Corporate edition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dad works at mircrosoft and we get volume license editions you dont have to activate to use so we can upgrade and install many times with out hassle:twotu:

Plus windows aint the "cadillac" its the only big os that everything runs on

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't see how that is plausible. Your mother board/processor are the brains of your PC, but they don't have a damn thing to do with storing files. The hard drive is what stores your operating system, so therefore changing a mother board should not affect product registration and program registration keys.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
ive done it twice and it truely doesnt work when you try to boot with teh new MB. Windows upon booting reads the motherboards BIOS and when it reads different BIOS then it was registered to then your screwed. There are many ways around it. XP has been this way for a long time now.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
84brownbronco said:
ive done it twice and it truely doesnt work when you try to boot with teh new MB. Windows upon booting reads the motherboards BIOS and when it reads different BIOS then it was registered to then your screwed. There are many ways around it. XP has been this way for a long time now.
There are always ways around it, but legally speaking, you're a screwed pooch if you want a new motherboard.

Note that this does not include defective motherboards, that's quite alright.

I guess Gates just thinks he's getting a little slim in the wallet.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Tell me this... If you bought a car, and decided you wanted a new ECM... would you be willing to buy the car AGAIN after you paid for and installed the ECM? That is to say, you've purchased your truck. You install the ECM. Then you get a letter from Ford saying you have to pay the retail price of the truck again because you've upgraded...

Is that acceptable? Did your motherboard purchase windows? Or did YOU purchase windows?

Yet you accepted the licensing agreement... why?

**** that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have called them 2 times due to motherboard and processor upgrades. They fixed it both times in only a few minutes. I just give them the # off the sticker.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beisel1111 said:
I have called them 2 times due to motherboard and processor upgrades. They fixed it both times in only a few minutes. I just give them the # off the sticker.
You've done this in the last day or so? It was just announced.

And yes, with enough social engineering, you can get around it legally. I've recieved three licenses so far by using nothing but speaking skills....and it's legal because I didn't steal it :thumbup

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.
In other words, there's no way for MS to detect a new motherboard/CPU. Sounds like it's only addressed to Dell, Gateway and other OEMs. But there's no way they could stop individuals from upgrading.

The only thing they could do would be to take a "snapshot" of the BIOS during the initial install and hide it in some registry. That could prevent someone from simply trying to transfer a C:\ hard drive.

BTW, I bought a Win98se upgrade several years ago, but it had three bad CAB files. MS sent me their OEM install disk, and it's running on it's third motherboard and second C:\ drive.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
You've done this in the last day or so? It was just announced.
Sorry this has been around for a long time. Kind of like an old spam email that pops up with new dates.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have the retail version then? If so, you don't count :toothless

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
...:stupid

The only thing MS manufactures here is the OS, so that's the only thing they can license. Kinda like Ford asking for you to re-purchase your truck everytime you fill up the tank because now "...it's a new truck..."!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts