Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been piddling with a tube-style bumper for the rear of my truck and had a question. I have access to a 250 amp MIG welder or a 150 amp TIG welder. both of these will be more than hot enough to do the job, and i consider my self pretty good at both. what would be the prefered method to final weld the parts? right now they are just tacked with a 110v MIG. I'm thinking TIG. I never went to school for fab:whiteflag, so i dont know much about metal types or what application to use what, but i can bend and cut and weld. thanks in advance.

·
Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Make a good groove where you want to weld. Make a root pass with the tig, then lay 2-3 passes over that with the mig. What size tube?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size tube?
i'm using all scrap metal that i picked up from a buddy of mine, and i haven't even measured the o.d. :brownbag its like 1.25 od i think with some 1.0 od mixed in. i'm really happy with how its shaping up. i may put some pics up but i have to get ready for the flamming. :whiteflag lol i know it will happen. i haven't seen a bumper thread yet with no flamming. :rofl:

·
Fullsize Member
2,845 Posts
Oh I meant wall thickness. If you say od is somewhere around 1-1 1/2" then the wall thickness will likely be around .13-.15". Post some pics as you go along.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I like both welding process but mig is so much faster(for me anyway). But what I like about tig welding is that you can go back over your weld and clean it up with just the heat/gas. But if it was me I would use the mig because I'm lazzzzzzy...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can do both, choose the one you want to use. Who cares what someone else thinks you should use. Both will get the job done.
good point!! :thumbup well now i just gotta get off my butt and do it. hahaha i'll put up some pics when its done

·
Registered
477 Posts
I personally like beer welding.

I setup and get everything fitted, then weld about 10 minutes, then drink a beer for 5 . then weld for 10 minutes, then drink a beer for 8. then weld 3, then drink for 15 minutes, then pee, then pee again, then drink beer for rest of night, fall on couch, pass out. then pee 3 hrs later and get into shower, and bed. then sleep it off and do it over again the next night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.