Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in touch with a guy that runs a local welding shop, and just got off the phone with him about three minutes ago. I had talked to him earlier this morning, and asked he if I wanted to run their CNC plasma cutter. "Absolutely," I said. So, I'm going in friday morning, and do a trial run. Even tho they already have five guys in the shop, including the shop foreman (whom, I learned, also grew up in AK) the boss was trying to find a position for me (he knows my school instructor, so I was practically a shoe-in there), and working around my school schedule. I'm sure he would have had one of his other employees work with the foreman on the cutter, but he's wanting to get someone who's learning about it now, and needs a guy to run it all day (me, in the mornings, and the foreman in the afternoon)

And to those that have bumper and slider orders from me... my work schedule for that hasn't changed one bit, I've only rearranged my school schedule for this. Plus, the welding shop shares a building with a tractor supply shop, and a machine shop! yeha buddy! I'm already looking at their hydraulic stuff, tires/wheels and brainstorming about what I can machine with their equipment (once I've been there for awhile, of course)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Congrats Dave. Pm me if you need any help with that G-code sheeot. I got a couple of years experience with the crap!

·
Registered
506 Posts
My pleasure, bro. :toothless

The biggest thing to remember is a G41 means cut on the inside, G42 means cut on the outside. You will see what I mean when you start your job.

If you feel like movin to Eugene I know some folks there that you could get a real good job with if you learn G-code.

Or you could jus wait a couple of years and we could start that shop we talked about....... :beer

We still gotta get together to go wheelin' too.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
sounds good david, keep us updated! hope everything works out for the better for ya

wes

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WES said:
sounds good david, keep us updated! hope everything works out for the better for
ya
I\ll find out tomorrow morning, how well it goes. I haven't worked in two years, and I didn't
think I could actually be looking forward to going back to work, even part-time

badblack88 said:
Or you could jus wait a couple of years and we could start that shop we
talked about....... :beer

We still gotta get together to go wheelin' too.
Good, keep it in the back of your mind. That's still in the plans, as well as expanding a little bit.
I've got some ideas rolling around in this "Space For Rent"

Wheelin? we'll have to shoot for sometime in the spring, so I can, at least, have a tow rig to
bring home the bronco if I break it

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,686 Posts
Glad to hear there's some sunshining on ya down there bud!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welndmn said:
I have heard rumors of a "G" spot once
I found that G spot! No joke, coolest thing i've ever seen :hump

As excited as I am to be running a CMC plasma, I'm still eyeballing their hydraulic parts and tires :toothless

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crazed said:
Remember David...I am an unemployed CNC machinist also...

Hmm....machining on bronco parts....Droooll
I didn't forget :thumbup After I've been there for at least 6mos, then I'm going to start talking about using the welding and machine shop for making custom Ford parts - dual battery trays, cosmetic parts (dash knobs, window crank, etc), pulleys, motor mounts, brackets, maybe custom grills... only time will tell

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good luck Dave. Can't wait to hear about the outcome

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The job's mine, I just have to wait til it becomes a permanent p/t. Right now, it'll be day-by-day. They're still in the middle of moving things around, getting things organized and getting contracts finalized. In the meantime, I'll be getting a copy of their bob-cad manual, to read up on. Bottom line is, they're looking for someone who can do it all - machining, welding, cutting, computer design - that's me. They're also wanting to use autocad as their design program, and their bob-cad to run the equipment. So, I get to teach the foreman how to use autocad, while he gets to teach me how to use the cutter. It's a win-win situation all around :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts