Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations/issues with a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro? 1.8 liter turbo, 5 speed tranny. 88k miles.

Do these cars have any problems I should know about before getting it? The deal is pretty good for me so I'd like to do it if the car isn't a disaster.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Yeah, it's an Audi. Doing the starter is a 4-hour job. It goes downhill from there. If you do decide to buy it, use full syn oil in the engine. No question, the sausage sucker engines run better and carbon up the oil system less on full syn.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I dunno about the old ones, but a co-worker has an 08 and says they're known for eating up clutches and brakes. Sounds like driving habits to me.

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
Yeah, it's an Audi. Doing the starter is a 4-hour job. It goes downhill from there. If you do decide to buy it, use full syn oil in the engine. No question, the sausage sucker engines run better and carbon up the oil system less on full syn.
You beat me to it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
My other hat is Audi, I owned a 98 with a 2.8 V6 and a 5-speed. My current DD is an 04. I love the cars. The biggest problem with them is working on them, that 98 is a hell of a lot easier than my 04. But, if you keep up on regular maintenance, they can run for very, very high miles, think over 300k. On that 1.8, if the timing belt hasn't been changed, it NEEDS to be changed. The 1.8 is not a cheap engine to rebuild. Full synthetic is a must, not just due to the carbon build-up, but because the turbo is oil cooled as well. Some people say head gaskets are a notorious issue, but I've only seen it on 1.8s that have been beat to all hell. Swap out for a new cat, high flow or not, but they have a tendency to start plugging up at about 120k for a noticeable performance loss. Other nit-picking issue I had was greasing the moon roof. But, I've been bitten by the Audi bug, and where I live, you need AWD for a commute and everyone has a Subaru, so I wanted to be different. If it runs decent and has been kept up on maintenance, you should be all set. Just check on the timing belt and cat.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Both my sisters drive 2000 VW Beetles with the 1.8. They have had nothing but problems with them. Constant problems, and constantly in the shop. One sisters just kept randomly stalling out while she was driving, so she took it to 3 different shops who claimed they fixed the problem, but it still happens.

I personally would never own a VW or Audi.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Had a couple Aud's and I prefer them to be in warranty. I never had any issues mechanically but I had one that developed electrical issues and it was a nightmare. If there is anything electrical not functioning properly walk away.

An 86 5000 CS turbo was still hands down my favorite snow car. Had manually operated front and rear diff locks and drove smooth as glass well above 120.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Get an impreza...zoom!!

I have nothing to add :toothless

KC

·
Registered
674 Posts
My wife's ride is a '99 A6 with the 2.8, 95k miles now, owned it since 02.

It has needed some regular maintenance items- like CV boots (there are 8 of them), and suspension bushings.

It's now starting to develop some electrical issues- The MAF sensor went out a couple months ago, replaced it. The LED display in the middle of the dash faded out over the years, but displays extra info like exterior temp, mileage info and is a $700 part aside from tearing out the dash to replace it. Now the fan for the AC works intermittenly- getting that fixed next.

The AWD seems to eat tires.

Some interior plastic crap like the fancy flip out cup holders don't hold up.

It's an awesome car though. Drives great and solid especially on road trips.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reviews guys. I wasn't really in the market for another car but this one kinda fell in my lap and the deal is pretty good. I'm basically looking for big reasons to stay away from the car no matter how good the deal is.

I've read multiple places that the major parts of the car are well built and will last a long time with regular maintenance. The other parts like the dash display, AC fan, weird electrical bugs, are all kinda annoyances that don't stop the car from moving. That's what I wanted to know.

I may not even get it, its contingent on a few things happening and all falling into place.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured I'd update this thread for anyone that cares...

Got the car. Love it. You guys were right about maintenance. So far I've replaced/fixed:

All 4 wheel bearings.
front axles
cruise control (twice)
Timing belt/water pump/etc service
head job/valves machined
broke a compression ring=all new rings/machine work
new connecting rod bearings
radiator
4 coil packs
entire PCV system was leaking
turbo...old one had cracked housing (upgraded to Ko4 :) )
exhaust flange at turbo cracked and exhaust fell out, had to reweld it
entire front control arm system/tie rods/sway bar links
windshield washer tank

All told I put 5 grand into it last year.

Flatline, I've been bitten by the Audi bug too. It's an amazing car. Just got done camping with it in Asheville, drove the parkway a little bit. Damn that thing is fun to drive.

I use Royal Purple, and the mechanic who replaced the rod bearings said there was very little wear to them, so hopefully the main bearings are in good shape too since the rest of the engine is basically new or rebuilt now.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Bitten? More like totally consumed. But hey, it's your money.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bitten? More like totally consumed. But hey, it's your money.
Well had I known it would be 5 grand I woulda sold it and gotten something else. But as it goes...1000 here, oh wait now you need a new turbo, 1200 there, oh wait now you need a new radiator and coil packs, 600 there, oh wait we gotta take the head and pistons out to fix the rings, **** I'm already in it 3 grand, might as well pay 800 bucks for that too...and that's just what the shop did.

But hey, I don't have a car payment, and if you divide the months I've had it vs what I've put into it, I'm already ahead. About 9000 for repairs/acquisition and I've had it for 36 months = 250 a month.

If I said I had a 250 month car payment nobody would blink an eye, so I'll keep this thing on the road as long as I can.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Glad you're happy with it...but 5k in maintenance in 1 year of owning it? Don't care if you compare that to car payments...thats still a 250 dollar car payment every month for a 15 year old car. I would have gotten rid of it long ago.

But then again I've never liked VW's or Audi's. Lots of nicer, newer, more reliable cars you could have gotten for 9k total.

Oh well, what do I know.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
VW, Audi, BMW, most any German car will be a good car for 100k miles.

After that they develop an appetite for $$$ replacement parts. Not because they're bad, but because stuff wears out.

My buddy HAD a BMW X5. At 112k it ate a $1400 alternator (water cooled) while his wife was driving it out of town.

He traded it for a Jaguar :toothless

My first thought was out of the frying pan and into the fire.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you're happy with it...but 5k in maintenance in 1 year of owning it? Don't care if you compare that to car payments...thats still a 250 dollar car payment every month for a 15 year old car. I would have gotten rid of it long ago.

But then again I've never liked VW's or Audi's. Lots of nicer, newer, more reliable cars you could have gotten for 9k total.

Oh well, what do I know.
Well its 250 a month for 3 years...total, and that includes acquisition costs. I doubt I could have gotten a similar performing car for that price, especially one that's had pretty much everything replaced :rofl:.

And in the last 3 months it's been running like a new car in spite of it's age. New cars don't impress me...this one is modern enough. Heated seats, power everything, good AC and heat. Not sure what I would gain from a new car? I've been looking at newer Audi's but I'm sure they'll need the same amount of work once they hit 100k.

The way I see it, from now on it's basically free....until the next thing :banghead

But like I said, if I knew it would be 5 grand to fix everything I wouldn't have kept the car. I ended up being pot committed and had no choice but to continue fixing it, or end up wasting all the money I had spent previously. I'm glad I did, but I understand why the resale value is so low on these cars now.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
VW, Audi, BMW, most any German car will be a good car for 100k miles.

After that they develop an appetite for $$$ replacement parts. Not because they're bad, but because stuff wears out.
That's what the shop said. Replace all the stuff that wears out at 100k and it will last another 100k. That's what I'm hoping for.

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Personally I love the New Audi cars. I would love to have an S8, I even sat in one once. They guy told me you need deep pockets to stay in a used S8. They are expensive to maintain. Its kinda like they have to pull the engine to change the spark plugs type of thing. lol.

I love Jag's too. Just wish they werent so unreliable. I still want one though. As far as a luxury car goes, they have the finest interior ive been in. Very nice finish quality, too bad that didnt carry over into electronics and mechanical parts. But then, maybe they just designed enough things to break that it keeps the dealer in business selling parts and repairs. hmmmm, now they wouldnt do that, would they? hehehe

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Well its 250 a month for 3 years...total, and that includes acquisition costs. I doubt I could have gotten a similar performing car for that price, especially one that's had pretty much everything replaced :rofl:.

And in the last 3 months it's been running like a new car in spite of it's age. New cars don't impress me...this one is modern enough. Heated seats, power everything, good AC and heat. Not sure what I would gain from a new car? I've been looking at newer Audi's but I'm sure they'll need the same amount of work once they hit 100k.

The way I see it, from now on it's basically free....until the next thing :banghead

But like I said, if I knew it would be 5 grand to fix everything I wouldn't have kept the car. I ended up being pot committed and had no choice but to continue fixing it, or end up wasting all the money I had spent previously. I'm glad I did, but I understand why the resale value is so low on these cars now.
I hear ya. Once you start dumping money into it you might as well continue with it and get your money's worth. Hopefully it doesn't cost you much more in the next few years.

I'm more of a Saab fan myself. Cheap, reliable cars with lots of potential. I have a friend who is a Saab fanatic...along with his dad. They have over 15 Saabs on their property and know everything about them. They are partial to the 94-97 9000 Aero's. Seat 5 comfortably, good gas mileage, a hatch so you can actually have some room to store stuff, and actually pretty fast...even stock. After some basic mods....intake, exhaust, tune...they will smoke most newer cars on the road today.

Start getting into injectors, bigger turbo, exc and you're in business. But I guess thats with any turbo charged car. I just know the internals on those old saabs and the tranny can handle power up into the 400HP range without blowing up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts