Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive with an eggshell between the foot and pedal. Still 10 mpg. Clogged injectors, cloggled cats possible with a stock 91 ?

Please let me know.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
1). 6 Liter Tune-up.

2). Catco cat.

3). Fuel filters.

4). Air filter.

5). PCV hose/brake booster location swap. And new PCV valve.

6). Vacuum check---you should be able to pull down 18hg's after your 6 Liter Tune-up, at 775 rpm's.

7). New 19lb injectors from Summit---less than $200.00 delivered to your front door. Or rebuild them yourself for $40.00.

8).Sea Foam that girl---she'll love you for it.

9). Can I borrow three bucks? 'Til Saturday?........

·
Registered
710 Posts
also pull some codes... even if the light isn't on. sensors can make your truck "think" it's cold and really throw the fuel to it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good advice above. C6 tranny? Keep her no faster than 55 mph. Lack of overdrive stinks. Set the timing by ear (IMHO): Settle on one octane of fuel - low or mid-grade then set the timing to just before ping. I usually set it high, then trial and error it down til it don't ping. Easy to do after you've done it a few times. If you change octanes you will have to change timing. I live on the bleeding edge, what can I say.

If you baby the beast, you should be able to get 15 mpg.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1). 6 Liter Tune-up. ALREADY DONE

2). Catco cat. ON MY LIST

3). Fuel filters. DONE

4). Air filter. K&N

5). PCV hose/brake booster location swap. And new PCV valve. NOT FAMILIAR, WILL RESEARCH

6). Vacuum check---you should be able to pull down 18hg's after your 6 Liter Tune-up, at 775 rpm's. WILL CHECK

7). New 19lb injectors from Summit---less than $200.00 delivered to your front door. Or rebuild them yourself for $40.00. ON MY LIST

8).Sea Foam that girl---she'll love you for it. WILL DO

9). Can I borrow three bucks? 'Til Saturday?........
NO PROB!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also pull some codes... even if the light isn't on. sensors can make your truck "think" it's cold and really throw the fuel to it.
I pulled codes about a year ago a nothing came up. Weird thing though...temp gauge always reads in the very cool to cool at all times. Changed stat with no change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice above. C6 tranny? Keep her no faster than 55 mph. Lack of overdrive stinks. Set the timing by ear (IMHO): Settle on one octane of fuel - low or mid-grade then set the timing to just before ping. I usually set it high, then trial and error it down til it don't ping. Easy to do after you've done it a few times. If you change octanes you will have to change timing. I live on the bleeding edge, what can I say.

If you baby the beast, you should be able to get 15 mpg.

I have the OD tranny. I already did the perf tune up so timing is already up there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Defiantly something wrong. I'm getting 15 with 38" tires and 4.88 gears. I would think you would get 17. My guess is clogged cats. If thats the case, I wouldnt wait too long. I had clogged cats on my old Bronco and it bernt a valve.
I still have the original dual cats on the truck...is there a way to test them to see if they are clogged?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I pulled codes about a year ago a nothing came up. Weird thing though...temp gauge always reads in the very cool to cool at all times. Changed stat with no change.
Doesn't mean too much, as the dash gauges are just like football bats-----fricken useless. Get some real gauges (Oil, H2O, Volts & Vacuum) when you got an extra $40.00 and half a day to spend...........

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i get about 10.4 mpg in my 93 f150 with 5.0L, aod tranny, 31" tires and 3.55 gears with dual exhaust and no cats

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
i get about 10.4 mpg in my 93 f150 with 5.0L, aod tranny, 31" tires and 3.55 gears with dual exhaust and no cats
I did too on the '87 when I first got it------10 city, 14 highway. Then I did the stuff that I wrote about above and went to 13 city and 17+ on the highway.........

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i'm a little broke right now, so i can't do much. i replaced the fuel filter about 3 or 4 months ago, but i think my k&n air filter probably needs cleaned and the plug wires are about 3 months old, but plugs are about a years like the cap and rotor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts