Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well its pretty bad when i have to turn to a Bronco Forum for help fixing a track at work but well theres a few military people here and maybe y'all can offer advice...

I will just give a breif thingy right now as i need to get to bed. Heres the deal I am working on an M88A1 and I cant seem to get the breaks adjusted right. I have done every thing by the book twice, No bent or biding linkage, and the pedal is extremely firm or extremely soft, And ether:thumbup way the track does not stop like it should. Has any one had this problem in the past? Any help would be awesome..

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
The wheeled vehicles are more fun.

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw I mean come on Working on a track that's hasnt been touched in 6+ years is soooo much funnier..... i hate life....

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
Hmm . . former track mechanic and also drove/worked on a M88 before going over to a wheel mechanic. I cant remember any of my M88's giving me brake issues . . heck I remember standing one on its nose just before running over a 78 bronco (long story short, we were at AT in Camp Grayling, MI. Tank trails get civilian traffic getting to fishing holes on post. He came around a blind corner hauling A$$ and so were we. He locked his brakes and so did we. Facial looks were priceless). I'll check with my fellow mechanics on monday and see if there is anything we can think of.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Hmm . . former track mechanic and also drove/worked on a M88 before going over to a wheel mechanic. I cant remember any of my M88's giving me brake issues . . heck I remember standing one on its nose just before running over a 78 bronco (long story short, we were at AT in Camp Grayling, MI. Tank trails get civilian traffic getting to fishing holes on post. He came around a blind corner hauling A$$ and so were we. He locked his brakes and so did we. Facial looks were priceless). I'll check with my fellow mechanics on monday and see if there is anything we can think of.
I can't help here but that story just brought back a sick feeling and chills. Back when I first reported to Camp Lejeune, I was bored and one night decided to go cruise the base to get a feel for what was where since I was going to be floating to all the Bases Medical Clinics. It was 2-3am and I was on my way out to find CourtHouse Bay, I think, and was on one of the back roads when all of a sudden a M1 Abrams litterally flew over the road in front of me missing me by maybe 50 feet. That tank cleared the road completely. Yes, I nearly Crapped my BDUs. Had I been a couple seconds faster, I would have been flat and that tank would have never known it hit me. I rolled the windows down and heard what sounded like a whole group out doing night maneuvers.

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so i got the Brake linkage adjusted, i think, I did it the way the TM told me how to do it. The problem that I'm having now, Is the 'air shock' for the transmission kick down (its that silver shock looking thing on the Drivers side Final Drive). The Book tells me to unhook it from its cravats and depress the breaks all the way. Then line adjust it till you can put the pin back in, Then adjust another 3/4 of an inch and push down until you can pin it.... Well i have the shock adjusted completely down and i still cant get it to line up.. And i have tried putting my 145lb arse on it to maybe push down on it a tad, and no dice.... Any help? If i cna find a way to copy that part of the tm and take some pics of what im looking at I will post them.... Thanks for any and all the help.

EDIT: ok well today i messed with the breaks a little more, THe air vavle is shot i think... The ram dosent move like it should... But thats the least of my problems. Now i got the pedel to spring back like it should but the breaks still wont hold the track. We tried to move it back up on to the track (we had it off to service the road wheels) and we would get it up on two roiad wheels and let off the throttle and while still in 3rd gear it rolls back. So needless to say the breaks are not working at all any more....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts