Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the big deal with them? I can understand how they could be of use if you ever busted a leaf, but is that the only thing they're good for?

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I believe that the extra material and wrapping also helps to limit axle wrap.

Aren't your deaver springs military wrapped?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubtful. Kind of hard to military wrap a coil spring.:goodfinge

Sorry, couldn't resist.:beer Crawler might be able to answer that one though as he's running the Superflex leaf packs on his '78.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Military wraps allow for more spring travel, meaning that the leaves have room to spread apart for articulation vertically, but at the same time, are kept from moving from side to side horizontally
How is that different from any other spring? I guess how factory springs do it with the clamps, they have the wraps at the eyes, right?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
sorry yeller, you are wrong.

the military wrap is where the second leaf wraps up and over the main leaf in the front. its purpose is so that should the main leaf break, the second leaf will hold the pack together and allow you to "get home" so to speak.

I havent seen any off the shelf lift company putting them out there, and to be honest, and I dont believe a full military wrap would fit in the front hanger on our broncos. when I had my springs made, they would fit, so I have a half military wrap, for whatever its worth. i dont recall if mine would fit based on the thickness of my second leaf, or what, but Im inclinded to think that a full mil wrap wont fit, period.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So other than the wrap at the eyes with the second leaf, there's not really any advantage to them compared to leaf packs with manipulated/removed c-clamps.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
plug ugly said:
here is a pic of my half wrap

My bust, it was my understanding that the Extended clamp was what was referred to as "military wrap" cuz my CJ5 springs cam with the ends turned up like that, but were not referred to as military wrap. My buddy bought the Rubicon express "military wrap" springs and they had the wrapped ends, and the Extended C-clip replacement type setup. Color me Humbled huh?:doh0715:

·
Banned
22,234 Posts
Plugly is right: the ONLY purpose/meaning of "military wrap" is the second layer of spring around the pivot bolt so the truck can limp home if the main leaf fractures.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with flex/articulation/travel. The alignment clamp (whatever style your pack has) is ONLY there to keep the leaves stacked correctly.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Steve83 said:
Plugly is right: the ONLY purpose/meaning of "military wrap" is the second layer of spring around the pivot bolt so the truck can limp home if the main leaf fractures.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with flex/articulation/travel. The alignment clamp (whatever style your pack has) is ONLY there to keep the leaves stacked correctly.
Thank you steve, nothing like having a mistake rubbed in your face twice. What i was referring to is apparently called a "bolt-style alignment Clamp"
Thanks
Yeller

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Steve83 said:
If you look at the TIMES on our posts, you can tell that you were typing yours while I was typing mine. :drinkbud

WHOA! Creepy huh? :histerica :beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts