Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn the key, and as long as I hold the key down it fires, but the second I let off the key, it dies. Ignition?? Ignition switch?? :shrug I have no idea. It does kinda what Crazed described, but mine doesn't even stutter after I let off the key, it just dies. :shrug The ignition in the truck appears to be stock. On the actual igniton box there is a sticker that says "BRAVO". Hope that helps some. It makes me mad because I haven't owned it but maybe a month & I just dropped about $4500 into it (lift, tires, new engine, gears, & interior) and now I have little money for repairs. I guess I need an Emergency fund. :banghead Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,699 Posts
On a 79? No EFI?

So... what all did your engine rebuild entail?

·
Still Learnin!
504 Posts
Sounds like your your key switch isn't staying in the run position. Don't know how your colum is set up. Maybe one of the 78-79 guys will post soon witha fix.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Could be the key switch. Our key switches are in the dash Hwy.
Mine had a similar problem year ago or so. Would turn over and just when it
sounded like it started, it'd pop and die. Turns out the problem was the
magnetic pick-up in the distributor. Haynes manual has a pretty decent
write-up for checking/diagnosing this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT RUNS!! I replaced the ignition switch, and it fired right up. Now if I can just get my old lock cylinder into the new ignition switch. :banghead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.