Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mini-Tube Vacuum Hose Service in Climate Control System in a 96; "...Measure the length of the damaged area of the mini-tube vacuum hose. Cut a piece of standard 3mm (1/8-inch) ID vacuum hose approximately 25mm (1 inch) longer than the damaged area of the mini-tube vacuum hose. Cut the mini-tube vacuum hose on each side of the damaged area and remove damaged portion of the mini-tube vacuum hose.

Dip the mini-tube hose ends in Tetra Hydro Furan (THF) or Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). Either of these solvents will act as a sealer for the repair of the mini-tube vacuum hose. Insert the ends of the mini-tube vacuum hose approximately 9mm (3/8 inch) into the ends of the standard 3 mm (1/8-inch) ID replacement vacuum hose.

Shake the service joint after assembly to make sure solvent is dispersed and vacuum line is not blocked internally. Test system for a vacuum leak in area serviced..."

from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual

Sorry Gang, no pics

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also;
"...The vacuum hoses used in the passenger compartment control circuit are constructed from PVC plastic material.

The vacuum hoses used in the engine compartment are constructed of Hytrel.

Because of the materials used, the vacuum hoses should never be pinched off during diagnosis to locate a leak. Use Rotunda Vacuum Tester 014-R1054 or equivalent to locate vacuum leaks.

A wood golf tee can be used as a plug when it is necessary to plug one end of a vacuum hose for leak test purposes..."

from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo RaXOrFly
Yw!
Here is what I have learned so far;
"...They sell hard plastic line at most parts stores now, in the HELP! section with the rest of the vacuum fittings. Most places have it near the bottom of their display, and it's not too expensive. The b!tch is forming the stuff to the shape or routing you need. I've not had the time to test it, but I believe a little heat might allow you to bend 'er into the correct shape. I should email Motormite/Dorman about that...Rubber lines collapse in long runs under low pressure (high vacuum), which is why Ford and most other manufacturers went to plastic lines. They're cheap to make, and form easily. Plus with the polymer they're made from, you can color code the lines for easier assembly line installation..."
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB
----
Maybe a dealer would have it; I did get the special hight temp silicone DFPE hose last year at local dealer; it was $10.00 per foot!

in the Ford Motorcraft® (fordinstallersupport.com) - Belt & Hose Parts Catalog, Bronco/Ford truck & all Fords w/Ford Part Numbers, Illustrations & Cross References http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/belthose.pdf

They only list this vac hose:
Windshield Wiper/Washer Hose Body and Vacuum• Constructed of EPDM synthetic rubber compound.
• Resists deterioration due to oil, ozone, washer solvents and high temperatures
PART NO. INSIDE Diameter LENGTH
KW-5B 7/32" 50'
KW-6B 7/64" 50'
KW-7B 5/32" 50'
KW-8B 9/32" 50'
KW-9 1/4" 50'

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yo Ran,
Nice stuff, but where is the hose?

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Here's a Thread I made on correcting repairing the issue. It's not Ford Factory Authorized but seems to work pretty well and it doesn't require the use of the chemicals mentioned. I used 7/64" vacuum tubing and it has a small enough internal diameter that it was able to be pressed over the tubing to create a repair. I suppose you could use something to bond the two together but as tight as it was to press in, I think it would take a bit of effort/vibration for it to happen. I used shrink tubing over the connections anyway just in case. Just putting this out as an alternative.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yo john,
Nice work and def a better alternative than others I've seen!

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Thanks,

I'll never claim to be an ACE mechanic but when I work on something I'll only do it if I think I can make it last and do it the best way possible. To me a quick fix is only to get you through until you through an emergency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts