Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
running SAE 60 oil with a quart of Lucas Oil Stablizer. i have about 8psi of pressure when warm but is that enough? what would the minumum amount of oil pressure be requred to run a 5.0 correctly with no problems?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
straight 60 only gives 8 psi?

Wow.

Ran an IDI the other day, yes it burned alittle, and the stock gauge only registers 4.5-7.5 psi, (your gauge is really an idiot light, thanks Steve83!) I put 7 qurts in it, 10 quart system, and drained 7 quarts back out of it...

SO, you can run 50 miles at 7.5 psi in a 93 Ford diesel, the next 25 at 0 psi, starts to bring valve noise at the end of the journey...

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Hit a junkyard for a low mileage short block.. buy a new pump and gaskts and you should be good for another month or 2 lol

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
running SAE 60 oil with a quart of Lucas Oil Stablizer. i have about 8psi of pressure when warm but is that enough?
You may as well run sand and laundry detergent, using that high a viscosity oil and ungodly additive.

IIRC, the Haynes manual has specs for idle and 3000 RPM oil pressure. Are you sure your gauge is good? Is the engine making noise at idle?

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Check the oil pickup, but most likely worn bearings......

Mine does the same thing. Not my DD, so I am going to drive it till it blows, then call AAA

·
Man of endless projects
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine does the same thing. Not my DD, so I am going to drive it till it blows, then call AAA
thats wut my plan is right now. if the engine dies ill probably put a 460 in it but id rather keep a fine running engine going good over a stupid oilk pressure problem.

if i was able to take the oilpan off, i would jsut replace the pump itself but dont reallty want to pull the engine. the guage should be good i jsut put it and a coolant temp guage in. theres specs in the haynes manual? i didnt nkow that but its at a friends who is using it. no the engine doesnt make any weird noises other than a slight tick from a bent rod

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
The Ford shop manual I have says if you've got 40PSI or more at anything above 2000 RPM's your good. Doesn't specify pressure at any other RPM.
And I've also seen more than one post here in the last couple of years stating that 10psi for every 1000 rpm's is about the minimum that you want to see on your gauges............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts