Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount more modern style side view mirrors to my 78 Bronco. No power needed, but I am open to suggestions on what kind of mirror and how to mount it. I was thinking along the lines of a late 90s model Ford Exploder type mirror. Any ideas?

Also, who manufactures glass with custom dimensions so I can install a solid glass in the doors and remove the vent windows?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i dont know of any modern mirrors that will bolt right up, im nearly certain that your going to end up unhappy if you try the expo mirror. your best bet to change them is to look thru hotrod parts mags/catalogues, and find some universals you like.

as for the windows, i beleive that if you make a solid glass, theres no way it can be lowered. im pretty sure theres door internals in the way. if your really set on it your prob not gonna find a place online you can order them. and since the window glass is curved your gonna have a hard time finding a place to get a large enough peice of uncut glass with the same curve. if the glass is being made smaller, custom glass guys are all over. but their not cheap. to have the windows in my 51 f1 cut down after the 4in chop of the roof cost close to 3 grand, its a serious skill

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in other words... keep looking :)

Well, now I have 30 posts and I can sell my extra parts as soon as I get pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the wisdom!

·
Registered
108 Posts
tacTeacher - i suggest getting a couple diff sizes/styles of mirror from a junk yard if possible and comparing them - mounting them up somehow or having someone hold one on the door (maybe by reaching out from inside the truck so they dont obstruct your view of the truck) in order to see how they will look on the bronco. or look through photo galleries of broncos at cardomain.com or jeffs (http://broncograveyard.com/readers/) to see if anyone has done what you want to do. IMO - in picking out wheels for my truck i have looked around and decided more modern style wheels dont look right on a 78 bronco.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
I have not looked into this.
so I do not even know if it is possible to put a one piece window in or not?
let alone seal it up and make it function
But here's some thoughts
Lexan , you can by it by the sheet and cut it yourself, I think its pricey though
check out some glass place's and ask them if they can get automotive safety glass and cut it to fit?? also probably pricey
Keep your eyes on every window that goes by, cruise the parking lots,
( just don't get mistaken for doing something else??)
I personally don't see the need for it? I like the vent
Good luck! that's all I got for now

·
yes
1,769 Posts
I have not looked into this.
so I do not even know if it is possible to put a one piece window in or not?
let alone seal it up and make it function
But here's some thoughts
Lexan , you can by it by the sheet and cut it yourself, I think its pricey though
check out some glass place's and ask them if they can get automotive safety glass and cut it to fit?? also probably pricey
Keep your eyes on every window that goes by, cruise the parking lots,
( just don't get mistaken for doing something else??)
I personally don't see the need for it? I like the vent
Good luck! that's all I got for now
I love those things...

If i were to even try to put any new mirrors on my bronco id try and put the newer Super Duty towing mirrors on there....but i like the look of the old style...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Gotta have a vent window!!! It's how I kewl my junk off on really hot days!!! You can point the breeze right up your shorts. Lifesaver.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hell yeah, you have to have the nut cooler windows :twotu: I like the stock mirrors because if you hit it on a tree you can just moved it right back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts