Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! I just got a '94 with a 302 and found this forum while looking for ideas of what to do. I don't think I'll ever stop reading now. I was looking at RecueBronc's post about swapping out the interior light and was wondering what year's parts will work in mine. Does it matter? Could I put in a light from a '01 or newer F-250 or similar or should I look for specific years' stuff? Hopefully in the near future I will be able to add the intake kit, ignition and stuff like that. This is going to be a daily driver for me and I don't do any off-roading. Thanks for all the advice and tips!!

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
You will find that some things are interchangeable between many years, some things are year specific and some are moderatly interchangeable... generally though, it will be very difficult to switch parts into your bronco that are newer than a 96 (the last year they made Broncos). Something like an interior light could be done if you had the time and skill to do some interior work but major components are a different story... keep readin around and you will start to see some of the differences.... oh and welcome to FSB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I already used some of my newfound knowledge to swap out my radio and front speakers. One question I have about the Sixlitre upgrade is this: If it's known to be true that the timing should be set to 13.5, do I have to do all the stuff with the timing light or can I just adjust the timing to 13.5 and then fine tune it from there? Will probably be a month or so before I dive into that project but I want to be ready when I do.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
One question I have about the Sixlitre upgrade is this: If it's known to be true that the timing should be set to 13.5, do I have to do all the stuff with the timing light or can I just adjust the timing to 13.5 and then fine tune it from there?
You will need a timing light... that is how you tell what your timing is at otherwise you are totally guessing which = bad idea. You can get one from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. Read and re-read the sixlitre tune up so you are familiar with it and the entire process before you start... its a great upgrade and well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As far as a total list of interchangability is concerned no one can give it to you all
in one post. That will come in time and experience with working on your particular vehicle,searching this sites information, and reading the repair manual in your spare time. Just reading the manual randomly will shed light on many thing you havent realized yet.
If you plan on keeping your truck, purchasing a good repair manual will help you
incredibly, over and over again. And they are "right on" with the search advice.
Almost everything you can run into has been covered here on this site. The timing is easy but again the "time by sound " technique takes experience and for now you should think about buying a cheapy timing light, but remember the "inductive gun" is the one you want and not really the one that has the lead that goes in-line with the spark plug and plug wire.
Although it does work. Make sure your E-brake cable works the way it should , youll need that .
Otherwise youll need an assistant.
And get the "distributor nut" wrench extension, it just makes things easy. Usually 7 or 8 bucks at your parts store. If you cant get the timing light right away, basically if your (timing) is way too advanced , the engine valves will cackle, chinkle, like a bunch of metal parts bouncing around in a box. Other wise too far back and it will "start up" like toooo grrr errrr errr rerrrr sssllowwww if at all.
So you want to be a little back from the "cackle".
Give it gas and it "cackles", pull it over and turn it back some more till the cackle dissapears, now try it on the highway, long road over 55 MPH , listen for the cackle.
If it starts , pull over and turn the distributor back slightly. But even still without the
timing light you may not be at peak performance , anyways maybe this post will clear a little of the fog.
Dont push the truck if the valves are banging, that is NOT GOOD for the life of your engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.