Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
1990 bronco....351 W with 180,000 on the clock. It's been missing real bad for a while now....it's not constant....but ever so often...and especially when going up hill or under a load. Our mechanic looked at it...tested the plug wires...said they were off the scope so we replaced them....still doing it....cap and rotor are fresh. When it happens I can watch the tachometer bounce very erraticly....and it stumbles like crazy....it sometimes lasts a second..sometimes quite awhile....when it happens I hear a loud "ting" which sounds like it's coming from under the truck...almost like something is tinging on the exaust. I dont think it's pinging...however....im not exactly sure what that sounds like...but it dosent seem to come from the motor....and isnt pinging normally a octane issue? the truck has new catalytic converters on it....and headers...other than that it's stock....is this electrical or what? maybe coil cutting out? fuel cutting out? but why the noise? man I wish i could get rid of it so I could take it out of town!!!! help! you guys have never let me down before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing basically. Mine would start doing it at 2000 rpm's. The tach would also bounce when it did it. Mine was in the distributer. Pull the cap and rotor off, look at the pick up coil under the rotor. Mine was burnt. I touched it up with emory paper and now it runs like a top! Everyone else was suggesting vaccuum leaks, cats, fuel pressure, but all that checked good. If I was you, I would take a quick look at those parts inside the distributer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much man! Will try it today.....*says a prayer that it is as simple as that..*

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If I were you I would be checking for codes.......even if your check engine light is not lit, I would bet you have codes stored.

Its way better than throwing parts at the truck hoping that fixes it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts