Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the weired clicking noise coming from the engine compartment has been found. There is an exhaust leak coming from the end of the passenger-side header where the header attaches to the rest of the exhaust with a two-bolt (three-bolt?) flange. Right at this flange, there is a NASTY leak. About one whole side is leaking. The pipes just dont fit right together I guess. I put some heavy-duty exhaust sealant on it and it quieted it down a bit, but after some offroad fun, the mud and water washed off the sealant. I'm having trouble getting the two bolts off without stripping them. I dont know how to plug that leak and I'd rather not have to pay some exhaust shop to do it.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
1 Posts
you might have to cut or break those bolts off because the only way to fix that leak is to replace the collector gasket. any parts parts house carries them for less than $10.

·
Registered
777 Posts
get the bolts out of there any way you can. they are replaceable. buy new collector gaskets and bolts, and replace away. use anti-seize compound because you will be back in there replacing the collector gasket before too long.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
What the other stupids said.

On mine....I had to cut the bolts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies! ...So Im guessing this is a pretty common problem then. And is there any particular gasket size, or type I need? And should I just go ahead and replace the driver's side gasket too? Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
It'll probably start leaking before too long. probably wouldn't hurt once you have the tools spread out for the other one.

I have no way to tell what size gaskets you need. measure the flange, and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts