Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search..............
Anyone know how to adjust it(special tool)?
or done this before?
Driveability wise it shifts hard once or twice a week and I just checked the codes and found these
codes 327,543,and 634(Manual Lever Position sensor voltage out of self test range or A/C on)
So I would like to try to adjust and/or test the sensor.......

1993 XLT 302/automatic w/OD

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
I don't think there is adjustment?

I dunno how to test it. Anyone?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
I don't think they adjust either, you can only replace them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Haynes Manual it shows a special tool to adjust it but wondering if anyone has bought this tool or done this before.......?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Td93XLT said:
In Haynes Manual it shows a special tool to adjust it but wondering if anyone has bought this tool or done this before.......?
In that case I'd guess it's a special Rotunda tool, which means it'd exceed the $45 cost of a new MLPS

·
Super Moderator
26,697 Posts
Some have discussed this in the other MB:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/archive/topic/163277.html
Notice that "bcf" did not use the adj. tool. (and as Keith wrote, the cost is probably too much)...
And bcf gives some good tips on the swap.
The electr. test: (hope it applies to your year!)
http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1998-10/Shift Pointers/index.html
update; searched and found the Ford Tech CD and it shows the tool, but has no other info other than using it (no info on gaps or seetings in mm or inches);
only this..."Shift the manual valve detent lever to all detent positions, to check proper engagement of all the positions and the parking mechanism. Align the transmission range (TR) sensor for the neutral gear position, using MLPS Alignment Tool T92P-70010-AH. Tighten the bolts to 7 N-m (62 lb-in)."
... and, I hope it is the sensor!...this is in the electr. diagnosis section:
"...Note: This pinpoint test is designed to diagnose the TR Sensor electrical system ONLY. To prevent replacement of good components, note that the following areas may be at fault:
Engine -- Starter, starter relay
Electrical -- Battery, ignition switch, wiring harnesses
Transmission -- Internal transmission components, linkages"
And finally, Ford uses a "TR/MLP Tester 007-00086"..so they don't provide the electr. test parameters shown in the transonline.com article

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks "Miesk5" .......I reset the codes and i'm going to drive it for a day and recheck
them.......just to make sure i'm not wasting my time.....(The charts are great..) :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,697 Posts
yo,
These must be avail on e bay!
OTC #7784
No. T84P-7341-A
Same as Ford No. T92P-70010-AH
Ford Gear Position Sensor Adjuster
Gets the detent setting right the first time when adjusting the manual lever position sensor. Designed to be used on E40D, AXOD-E, and AOD-E automatic transaxles and transmissions.
No. 7784 Ford gear position sensor adjuster.
Wt., 2 oz.
http://www.otctools.com/frames-catalog.php3
MLPS Alignment Tool, Ford 4R70W, E4OD (Atec: model T-2327)
Price: $43.24

http://www.automotivetools.com/cgi-...line-store/scstore/p-AT-T-2327.html?E+scstore

·
Registered
871 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.....

Ryan or anybody with experience with this. What is the difference between the two connectors for the MLPS? I just swapped out trannies yesterday and the new tranny had a MLPS on it but the connector is not the same as the old one. Is this part of the updates that may have been done to the new tranny? Can I just go to Ford or local parts store for the proper connector? In the link that miesk5 showed at FTE, somebody talked about swapping connectors. :shrug Thanks in advance.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
my sensor went bad, on y old 94. i went to fod, got a new one, in 95 or 96 they changed it a bit, and have new harness clips, and such, it has the instructions to swap it, it was real simple. you dont need a special tool, if you take the old one off and put the newone on, and make sure it is in the same place you will be fine. if i remeber right you just have to make sure the trans is in nuetral

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
what does the connector look like?
how long can you wait for it?
I might be able to order the connector :shrug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts